MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2
Wideners Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lee Die Loose Threads - Need Old Timey Trick

Quote Originally Posted by KYCaster View Post
    Just put a lock nut on it.

.....or duct tape. Duct tape always works!

Good luck.
    Jerry
    Best answer yet.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Cast_outlaw View Post
    If you real ambitious and brave you could try drilling And taping the body and installing a set screw with some lock tight Lee dies are cheep enough if you screw up you can get one with a lock but instead
    You read my mind! Was just fixing to mention this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Stick a piece of small shot (#9?) between threads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Elroy View Post
    You may be able to apply something tacky on the threads ,or some sort of roofing caulk,or you may be able to somehow use a coil spring to apply constant pressure on it,but it's not really worth a lot of time,or expense when you could just buy another seating die that has the conventional stem with lock nut.
    ^^^ This ^^^ A dab on non-hardening Aviation Form-A-Gasket would be perfect. That product has been around since the 1920s, and it still has it's niche. It's a shellac; sticky as all get-out, you'll need paint thinner or acetone to get it off your hands.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Grand Master

I would not use a set screw. You would be forcing both the knob and the seating plug to the side. With the right O ring, these dies do not need anything more. I just counted 22 Lee die sets that I own. None of them have a loose seating stem. I could drop them off the roof with no change in setting.

Boolit Master
    If you can't/don't machine proper fitting threads in STEEL on a seating die, you would need to use orings to hold all in place.

Boolit Master
    Lee deliberately leaves some slack in those seater plug threads to prevent galling and allow for easy seating depth changes, it has nothing to do with inability to cut threads in steel. The O rings are perfectly capable of holding their setting during use.

Boolit Master
    How about hot glue easy to remove and apply to the outside of the die and adjuster.

Boolit Master
    Since you have the o-rings on all of your dies and they are still too loose, try putting a small rubber band on the part of the adjusting screw above the threaded portion. Then, when you have the die adjusted to where you want it, use a bent paper clip to poke the rubber band into the recess between the adjusting screw and the die body.
    Some times it's the pot,
    Some times it's the pan,
    It might even be the skillet,
    But, most of the time, it's the cook.

Boolit Grand Master

Are you having a problem with the stem working loose? I have a bunch of Lee dies and even the old ones with old hard O-rings don't change settings, and I get very little OAL/bullet seating depth variations. Or does the floating, easy to adjust stem just not feel right to you? (unless there is variation and drifting adjustment there is no problem). Cleaning the die ID from any oil, grease, etc. will make the O-ring less likely to slip. You could always take the die to a good hardware store and find an O-ring slightly bigger making for a tighter O-ring to die body fit and more difficult to turn...

BTW, the O-ring in use with a bolt, nut, screw, etc., is old technology and still works. The O-ring in Lee's lock rings are very often misunderstood. Having been a lifelong machinist mechanic I have seen the application of O-rings and threads many times and it is simple and works. Most detractors of Lee O-ring use are mostly those ignorant of locking nut and bolt technology (I actually had classes in Thread Technology and the "locking" O-ring, similar in use to Nyoc type nuts, was covered early in the class.)..
    Last edited by mdi; 06-02-2020 at 11:42 AM.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master

Hmm i never had a lee seating die maladjust. When i clean my dies i use a nylon brush. No solvents. I also use a universal decapping die. It helps keep the resizing dies clean.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Master
    I was using a Lee FL Sizer Die the other day and saw it was vertically shifting as upward pressure was being applied and removed while sizing cases. I was taken back at first but then reset the die’s body accordingly and tightened the o-ring equipped lock ring with a wrench.

No more die bouncing!

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Banned

I reload eleven calibers with Lee dies, and I have a bullet seating die for each caliber, and I have never had this problem or heard of it. Either your die is missing the O-ring from the bullet depth adjuster or you need to send it back to Lee for repair.

If all else fails, there's what Joe Bolger used to call "Canadian Loctite". Take a pair of pliers and bugger up the male thread so it has enough friction to hold.

(When I was doing aerospace stuff back in the '60s, we had what were called "prevailing torque" locknuts. A slightly distorted thread made enough drag that it couldn't loosen. Preferred for high temps and high vacuum where plastic-insert type locknuts couldn't be used. High tech Canadian Loctite, NASA approved!)
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Buddy
    I have not had the Lee die adjustments move but if I did I would make sure the o ring was not damaged or worn. If it still moved I would put some 3M weatherstrip adhesive (gorilla snot) on the threads. It would still be adjustable but not easily.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12