Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad Data
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackboxWideners
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision

Thread: Cast Egg sinkers????

Boolit Buddy

Cast Egg sinkers????

Hey guys,

Not sure where this goes , but had to share.....some cast egg sinkers. This hobby started my cast booolit hobby, these big ones sell for 2$ each down in the panhandle ,
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9D62D32C-DB03-4D43-8D64-7B3D3EF728B2.jpeg 
Views:	41 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	262997

Boolit Master
    Never cast edd sinkers but lots of worm weights and jig heads. I was actually casting bullets for the 30-30 somewhat before sinkers. I found that a 1/32 oz jig head got hits when the 1/16 th did not, but factory hooks in the 1/32 were too small. So, like bullet casting I started casting jigs because I could not get what I wanted commercially. Friend gave me the worm weight mold, they were kinda agranating with the wires to pull out, glad I have a lifetime supply, haven’t cast one on 41 years either!
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master

I had started casting these specifically for the tire shop guys who have been giving me their wheel weights for the last 4 years. They are happy to get em and happy I keep the weight bucket empty!
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

Vendor Sponsor
    Had a neighbor ask me about casting some for him but he hasn’t gotten me the mold yet. I live in a lake town so I may not charge him if I can find a market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Happiness is a warm .45

Banned

I have some sinker molds from years back. Can't see wasting lead to put on the bottom of a lake now. Holding onto the molds because eventually I'll amass enough zinc wheel weights to give that a try.

Boolit Master
    Never cast sinkers, but my dad had a friend who did. In fact, he was the first person to ever take me fishing. My dad did not fish, so his friend, who at one time had been a work partner, did. I got very interested in casting my own sinkers, but at the time and place, it was difficult to find appropriate molds. I will say this, my dad made our first ladle, took a piece of heavy sheet metal and worked it with a hammer into a bowl shape and attached a handle. He showed me how to melt lead, so I was melting lead when I was about 9 yrs old, on the kitchen stove. I remember scrounging lead wherever I could. One of my favorite places to pick up lead was from around electric power posts. Quite often, I would find chunks of lead that the electric company workers left after a job.

I started out with egg's but getting them off the rods that make the hole in the center can be a pain after a while.

Eventually I graduated to a Do-it walking sinker mold. It has a wide range of sizes from 1/4 oz to 2oz. Mostly I use the ones in the middle the most. 1/2, 5/8ths, a few 3/8ths and a few 3/4ers.

A trip to the anvil and a couple of whops with a 2 lb blacksmith's hammer turn them into flat no roll sinkers that work very well in the river.

My latest is a drop shot finesse mold, but getting those little swivels in place on a hot mold is a bit fussy. Still they are nice to fish with.

Boolit Master
    save your zinc weights for this, perfect for places that require non toxic sinkers, just make sure to stamp them with a Z or something.
    NRA High Master XTC
    DR# 2125