Load DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Repackbox RotoMetals2

Thread: Use of hollow lube sticks in the Star?

Boolit Mold

Use of hollow lube sticks in the Star?

Gents,

I just picked up a Star Lubsizer and am getting ready to give it a go. I've used RCBS Lubesizers for years and have always been irritated by the lube that gets under the base of the bullet. Hoping the Star will address that.

Since I've had RCBS units all my existing lube is the "hollow tube" type. Can these be just dropped in the Star and the compression will squeeze the air out or will there be bubbles/voids on my bullets?

I'm hoping to be able to just use them as is but am afraid that this air pocket will screw with my ability to provide a consistent pressure in the resivour. Sounds like the Star can take a little work to figure out initially and not looking for another complication!

If it's an issue at all I'll probably just make an aluminum V funnel and use a heat gun to melt the hollow lube stick into the reservoir. I'm using LBT soft blue.

Thanks for any guidance!

Wade

Boolit Master
    For the last 4-5 years I have just did the melt and poor method . I'm not in that much of a hurry most of the time .
    One of these days I will pore some lube in molds for loading it .

Banned

I have a Lyman 450, an RCBS lubimatic II and a Saeco/Redding.......the Saeco/Redding doesn't have a center pin for hollow lube sticks. I just stick them in and compress the spring.......no problem here!

Boolit Grand Master

They will work. May get an air bubble from time if you just put them in the Star. Not really a big deal.

They'll work fine. If you do get an air bubble, the handle will feel a little spongy until the bubble works it way out.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

The lube under the boolit comes from it being too hot, too much pressure on the injection, not going into the die deep enough,
    improper alignment of the die's holes, or a combination of all 4.

The brand of sizer won't really matter.
    Like 'pilot error', its not the airplane's fault.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Mold
    Gents thanks for the feedback, sounds like is shouldn't be a problem. I've got some solid sticks so I'll start with them just to make life easier on myself.

Wingar Ed. Too much heat, no as I have it turned off, holes mis-aligned not that either, not far enough in the die, I always put it in deep enough so that the lube starts coming out on the nose to make sure the whooooole bullet is sized, then i decrease the depth just a bit. Only one that might be it is the over pressure. But I've screwed with that a bunch with little success. It's probably a combination of needing more heat and less pressure but it never stays in balance long with the lack of a big spring in there. I like the fact that the star CANT get lube under the bullet, might be a PITA to get dialed in the first time but once set your golden. Thanks for the input, it's appreciated!

Wade

Boolit Grand Master

A Star can put lube where you don’t want it as well. The same issues effect it.

Boolit Master
    I have some hollow but never used it. Use bars cut and rolled that don't have a precise fit. When I get air pockets in my Star, the lube (nra 50-50) goes from solid brown to a creamy white due to the air. You get soft stroke occasionally and the slug can pop out the bottom with a good bang, then the air is gone. Don't put the whole stick in the reservoir. Compressing the spring can be difficult. Enjoy

Boolit Master
    I melt and pour. Just don't fill past the vent hole in back.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.