RepackboxReloading EverythingLoad DataTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Job, Great Bennies!

New Job, Great Bennies!

Two weeks ago I came out of retirement and started a new part time career here; https://www.mcmillersportscenter.com/ . Working just 3 days per week as a Range Safety Officer. So far it's been great, the people I work with and the patrons I've met.

The pay isn't anything special but the bennies! Free range usage, free unlimited FFL Transfers, big discounts on merchandise, New firearms at cost plus 15% but the biggest benny is the ability to Mine the Berms! Free Lead!

The facility manager told me they had it professionally done a few years ago for the first time since he's been there and they took out 2 dump trucks full of lead.

Boolit Master

Awesome sounds like a great job.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Master

Wink

So you missed the mother lode>
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Banned

How long did it take to fill it with 2 dump truck loads of lead?

Boolit Master
    Kind of blown up the OPSEC/COMSEC side of your tour, but do enjoy the ride!

Working backwards with replies.

Don't understand what OPSEC/COMSEC has to do with this job. No trade or Military Secrets here. Missed that response.

He didn't say how long it took them to clean the berms or exactly how they did it only that they removed two dump trucks and that before the cleaning that after a heavy rain he said the berms looked like streams of silver running down from behind the target stands.

Yes I did miss that opportunity but at the same time it sounds like whatever I pull out of there won't make much of an impact.

While I was interviewing for the job I was so excited that I left not even asking what the pay was. Then the first day of work I manages on just 5 hours sleep because I was just so excited that I couldn't sleep. One would thing a part time job would not effect a 66yo man this way! But at the same time I haven't worked in 5 years.

So far I'm fitting in and enjoying it. Also being exposed to a great number of arms that I have never seen or experienced before.

Now I have to build a sifting box so I can get started.

Boolit Master
    I need to find something like that GREAT FIND, they say if you like what you do, you will never work a day in your life. Congrats !!!!!

I think so too. They posted a jobs opening last summer but I missed out because of a short trip to the hospital. I think I found a good thing. Pay is fair, hours are plenty for part time and the bennies are usable. I'm glad to be there.

You are living the dream brother, Congrats!!!

Boolit Master
    I envy you everything except the sore back you'll get mining those berms!

Boolit Bub
    I am approaching retirement fairly soon and have looked into this. There are several indoor ranges in my area and suprisingly they are always looking for RSO's.

I really couldn't think of a better way to get out of the house and make some powder money.

Has anyone here done this ? It suprises me that these jobs are available. One would think they would be snatched up rather quickly.

Duke the job is not bad, hours are flexible, pay not the greatest but fair for what we do. Where I am, most are part timer's. I asked for Wed.- Fri. feeling that I could leave the weekend hours to the young guys that already have a full time job.

I did a similar job for the Folsom Shooting Club in CA. I started cleaning restrooms (4) every other day unless needed more frequently . Then they learned I could use a tractor and spent two years cleaning up 1K acres and shooting coyotes early in the morning before the range opened.They have a range for every shooting discipline and I learned BPCR with the likes of Dan Theodore and few other accomplished shooters.Great bunch of guys and bought my first Shiloh with the money I made.
    I can’t tell you the value of what I learned about shooting and hand loading and casting, special deals on powders . I learned more in the 5 yrs I worked there than any of the 30 years before.

Quote Originally Posted by kmw1954 View Post
    The pay isn't anything special but the bennies! Free range usage, free unlimited FFL Transfers, big discounts on merchandise,

Cool.
    Reminds me of a guy I talked to at Bass Pro.
    He said he felt like he'd worked there a couple of months before he got a pay stub that didn't show him owing them money.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Sorry, obvious failed attempt at humor. "The pay isn't anything special but the bennies! Free range usage, free unlimited FFL Transfers, big discounts on merchandise, New firearms at cost plus 15% but the biggest benny is the ability to Mine the Berms! Free Lead!" The thought was you may find you have a bunch of new friends.

Yes that was an airplane joke that went right over my head! But I thought New Friends was a good thing at this age.

Boolit Man
    Great find kmw and good for you. I retired 8 years ago and the local gun store approached me to work part time. I said no for a couple years as I wanted a break from work. But after two years or so agreed. Like you pay is not the greatest but benefits more than make up for it. Like I tell my wife it only costs me $200 a week to work there!
    Last edited by lpel; 06-07-2020 at 12:06 PM.

congrats man, living the Dream

Thanks again everyone. Just finished up my 3rd week and so far so good. Though this past week was a test as the temps started pushing 90* with high humidity. Thurs./Friday my feet and legs swollen up pretty good and by Friday became fairly painful. But I made it thru and don't have to be back now until Wed.. Also went out yesterday and bought a better pair of boots to wear that may help with support.

The range on Friday also just opened up a new 50yd. crossbow range with actual crossbow targets that will sustain impacts of up to 600fps. So now I'm going to have to learn about crossbows just in case I have to work that range.

Also this week I stopped and picked up some hardware to build myself a small sifting screen to take with to do some berm mining.

Boolit Master
    Unfortunately, my club is private, does not sell firearms, doesn't discount components for members, and, except for the barkeeper, manager and groundskeeper, is staffed by volunteers, so no second career opportunities to be had. Still, members who staff the range do get some benefits besides the satisfaction of contributing, discounted range time and match fees being the biggest.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast