Inline FabricationRepackboxLee PrecisionLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
RotoMetals2

Thread: MGM Contender barrel

Boolit Bub

MGM Contender barrel

I'm thinking of having MGM make me a 45 Win Mag rifle barrel for the extra G2 receiver I have setting here. I'm thinking 16" barrel and having them thread it 5/8x24 for a SEI 458 SOCOM muzzle brake that I have laying around.

Do you think 16" will be plenty for the round or can I gain anything more from a longer barrel?

Moderator Emeritus

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/460rowland.html
    Looking at the 460 Rowland and the 45 Super anything you might gain would be minimal. I believe that is also true for the 44 mag so that should put you in the ballpark. I like the portability and fit of a 16" bbl.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Bub

Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/460rowland.html
    Looking at the 460 Rowland and the 45 Super anything you might gain would be minimal. I believe that is also true for the 44 mag so that should put you in the ballpark. I like the portability and fit of a 16" bbl.
    That's kind of the conclusion I was thinking, not much return for the added barrel length. I have a Super16 chambered in 45-70 Government that is like the perfect package as far as size goes.

Boolit Buddy
    45WM works fine in my 7.5 Ruger, & likes the 14" Contender too. You should be fine.

Boolit Bub

Well just pulled the trigger so to speak and dropped the order a few mins ago.. Now the wait for them to finish it.. we still have a few months of fire restrictions here so not a big deal to wait for it to arrive..��

Boolit Bub

Got an email from UPS saying I have a package arriving from MGM tomorrow...

Boolit Master
    Your gonna really like how light and handy it feels.

Boolit Bub

Quote Originally Posted by 3leggedturtle View Post
    Your gonna really like how light and handy it feels.
    It feels really good on my G2 rifle frame. Now I just need to find a nice 1x-2x optic to put on it.

I have a ported 16" 45-70 Government barrel that is a lot of fun to shoot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20200910_220403.jpg  

You guys are way more forgiving then I am! I have a 20 inch 45-70 for my Encore and the recoil gets amazing with just the trapdoor loads.

Can not even imagine what even a lite loaded 458 WM would be like.

Boolit Master
    Bigted, I shot 350gr boolits at 1100fps out of my 17" 4 3/4lb Contender carbine 20 from the bench were more than enuf for me.

M 4 W, the older Leopuld 2-7X scopes are nice fit on the 16-18" barrels. Todd/3leg

Boolit Bub

Quote Originally Posted by bigted View Post
    You guys are way more forgiving then I am! I have a 20 inch 45-70 for my Encore and the recoil gets amazing with just the trapdoor loads.

This is a 45WM (45ACP but a bit longer).

Wasn't there a feller here the other day lookin for more recoil hand him a 458 mag contender ill pay to watch that one. Btw i have never heard of a 45 win mag either first for everything i guess. Does it actually run at mag pressures 40000 cup?
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

Boolit Buddy
    45 Win Mag is more or less a 45 caliber rimless 44 Mag. Pretty much the same performance as the 44 in a large frame auto loader (AutoMag, AMT, Grizzly, etc). Have one in a 10" Contender factory bull barrel w/ sights. Never shot it (to date).
    Always wondered if you could rechamber (ream) a 45 Auto cylinder for a convertible Blackhawk to get the added performance. Just a thought.

I did misunderstand. This is NOT the Winchester 458 Rifle round.

I have long wished for a 45 Colt barrel for my Encore rifle. So my imagination is that your win mag barrel would be close to that.

Seeing that this is cleared up ... what diameter? .451/.452 seems likely. Also what twist? I would still like the .452/.454 inch 45 Colt with my preference being .452 just for not needing to reinvent the boolit diameter wheel. Could go from 135 grain up to a 300 grain being from lean n lite to heavy n chuggin boolits.

I always thought about a 250 at subsonic speed with a nice can on the end of a 16 inch barrel. Betcha this would just about be the most useful settup going.

More then once I have been tempted SORELY to reline my 45-70 barrel and attempt to wind up with just such an animal in 45 Colt chamber. Its 20 inch length would do just swell with a Leopold 3X9 scope.

Do keep us tuned in with your 45 Win Mag barrel.

Boolit Bub

I did misunderstand. This is NOT the Winchester 458 Rifle round.

I have long wished for a 45 Colt barrel for my Encore rifle. So my imagination is that your win mag barrel would be close to that.

Seeing that this is cleared up ... what diameter? .451/.452 seems likely. Also what twist? I would still like the .452/.454 inch 45 Colt with my preference being .452 just for not needing to reinvent the boolit diameter wheel. Could go from 135 grain up to a 300 grain being from lean n lite to heavy n chuggin boolits.

I always thought about a 250 at subsonic speed with a nice can on the end of a 16 inch barrel. Betcha this would just about be the most useful settup going.

More then once I have been tempted SORELY to reline my 45-70 barrel and attempt to wind up with just such an animal in 45 Colt chamber. Its 20 inch length would do just swell with a Leopold 3X9 scope.

Do keep us tuned in with your 45 Win Mag barrel.
    For the Encore, MGM does a 45 Colt in the .451dia with a 1-16 twist.