RepackboxReloading EverythingWidenersSnyders Jerky
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Lee Precision RotoMetals2

Thread: 45-70 Marlin 45-500 FN subs .

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell

45-70 Marlin 45-500 FN subs .

So the best advice for full power is don't do it .
    Fine but I don't want artillery markers im attached to my shoulders , retinas , and hearing needs . So with that in mind let's pretend I want to shoot a 500 gr RCBS 45-500 FN in my Marlin holding it to a max fps of 1100 fps . Strelok says I can hold bottom half of the boiler room out to 175 yd with a 150 yd zero and have meat in the freezer even with these little white deer and carry a 1000 ftlb (relax it's just a point of reference number) out to 225 yd . Reasonably it gives me a low node , aka sub , good enough for elk or moose inside 200 yd that I can pretty easily figure out hold over and even a big black bear or hogzilla will have difficulties over coming . Aside from the waste of lead , which I'm thinking should be maybe 15 lb of flashing and 1# of pewter but maybe more lead , I can't really see a down side . It's matching the 300gr hot rod factory stuff where it matters and should have a report on par with a 22rf .

Trouble is a lack of data .
    Sure there's the 10-14 gr of Unique and shoot the Chrony until the numbers line up but I've seen some off the books 4350 , 4198 , 4895 and 3031 data . I have a personal rule about 3 sources , I have 1.5 and haven't gotten the Lyman #43 or CBH #4 out . The bug here is the short nose with 350 gr of bullet inside the case vs the usual 60/40 of 450-535 "standards" . I get some wiggle room with with the Marlin 1895G for pressure but I kind of doubt it's a half inch of seating depth .

So any help is a good place to start .
    I know there are several threads but they are from 2-8 years old .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Well, the kick of my 500gr bullets going 1500fps is a push, more than a punch. My 300gr bullets at 2300fps is more of a punch.

Also, that is the point-blank-range[PBR] of my 300gr HP loads at 2300fps; you're going to have about a 100 yard PBR with a 75 yard zero.
    https://www.hornady.com/team-hornady...alculators/#!/

I've used H4198 and IMR 4198 with 45-70 bullet weights from 300 to 500 in my CVA Hunter 45-70; wonderful results with all. I load the CVA to lever action data.