Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackboxWideners
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2

Thread: BP Pistol ID

BP Pistol ID, and Value

can anyone help me ID this BP Pistol , its a 31 cal pocket pistol , the only writing on the top strap is Jam Springfield mas. the cylinder has warner"s pat. 1852, no writing on the barrel, if anyone can help with the model and possible year it would be greatly appreciated, and if the Gun and case with items has any value, the trigger spring or bolt spring is broke but if you hold the trigger forward the hammer will stay cocked, I don't plan on doing anything with this
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BP Pistol.jpg   BP Pistol 2.jpg   BP Pistol & Case.jpg   BP Pistol Case.jpg  
    Last edited by copdills; 11-23-2020 at 09:51 AM. Reason: value question

Boolit Grand Master

Not sure if they are related

http://shipwrecklibrary.com/deadlands/revolving-rifles/

James Warner of Springfield Armory was another one of Samuel Colt’s early competitors, and had been tinkering with different types of revolvers for nearly as long as his rival. When Colt’s patent was unexpectedly renewed in 1849, a frustrated Warner was forced to redesign his more recent firearms in order to avoid legal infringement. During this process, he experimented with several different types of revolver mechanisms. The result is a plethora of Warner rifles varying in length, caliber, and action type, from manually-rotated retractable cylinders to grooved cylinders designed to be mechanically indexed by a rear-mounted lever. There are Warner rifles with brass frames, carbines with etched cylinders, and even some models employing a pill-lock primer system similar to the Billinghurst rifle.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    I have one in .28 caliber. James Warner Pocket Model.
    Mine is a Second Model first variation (.28 caliber, round barrel). There were only a few hundred of mine made.
    Yours is a Second Model, second variation (.31 caliber, round barrel). 9,000+ made.
    Last edited by Battis; 05-30-2020 at 10:12 PM.

Thank Guys I got this on a Trade the trigger spring needs repair but a nice pistol

Boolit Master
    that has been in the case for a rely long time as evidenced by the white fuzzy balls.BTW, it is rare to get one in the original case with a family crest / herald!! have you looked up the family crest? any how a very, very interesting piece none the less!

Boolit Grand Master

Should be a fun little gun to shoot.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Master
    Here's a case where rare does not equal valuable. There were 200-300 made in .28, and 9000+ of the .31s, but, according to Flaydermans, they're worth about the same.
    I messed with the spring in mine - it's still a work in progress.

Thanks , no I hadn't looked up the family Crest Yet, the trigger spring I think is the problem the hammer won't stay back when you pull it unless you bring the trigger foward , then the hammer will stay cocked till you pulled the trigger ,otherwish the trigger just stays toward the rear of the trigger guard
    Thanks copdills

bump with Question

Quote Originally Posted by copdills View Post
    Thanks , no I hadn't looked up the family Crest Yet, the trigger spring I think is the problem the hammer won't stay back when you pull it unless you bring the trigger foward , then the hammer will stay cocked till you pulled the trigger ,otherwish the trigger just stays toward the rear of the trigger guard
    Thanks copdills
    Sounds reasonable to me...….

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

bump for value

Boolit Master
    What shape are the nipples in? Are the caps old? Do they fit the nipples? What diameter are the round balls? Did they come from that mold?

not sure if the round balls came from the mold but its in great shape, the balls measure 30 cal. the nipples are in decent shape and I have no idea how old the caps are but they will fire on the gun , some I had to hit twice with the hammer before they would fire, only tried 3 but they look super old just like the round balls thinking about selling or trading it off , I don't have an interest in black powder items

Boolit Buddy

Not to sure about the CASE cover looks like an older wooden cigar box logo?

I don't know about the box, this is the way I got it

Boolit Master
    According to Flayderman's 9th Edition (several years old) there were 9000 of that model made. Values: Good - $325. Fine - $750. It's tough to tell its condition from your photos. I don't know what the box would add to the value (if it's original to the gun). I have a few antique cap and ball guns that are in "modern" cases. The molds are common, the balls and caps also. If you knew it was presented to a particular person, that might add to the value.
    I'd put it on Gunbroker at what you want. If it doesn't sell, drop the price.

Thanks for all the information I will most likely trade it off for some shot shell supplies lol and thats almost as rare as hens teeth right now in my area

Boolit Mold
    Do what you like, but where will you ever get another one?