Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackbox
WidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Load Data Reloading Everything

Thread: Henry SS 30-30 In....

Boolit Mold

Red face Henry SS 30-30 In....

Picked up my 3030 Henry SS from the gunsmith today. Did a quick inspection of the rifle; including the trigger. The first thing I noticed was the hammer, smooth and not as hard to cock as reports online.

The trigger was not too bad... not a match trigger but at least initially a good hunting trigger.

When I got home I gave it a quick wipe-down I installed a Skinner peep that I ordered when I ordered the rifle. I will test shoot but Ill probably have to order a taller front. Skinner said to wait and see how it goes.

Next was pulling off the stock to take a peak at the trigger springs. I have a bag of granger 31#s on hand for testing.

When I pulled out stock bolt; inside the stock was a washer and a metal spacer. When I unscrewed the barrel that covers the spring there was only a SINGLE big spring - no small spring.

I wiped down spring and reinstalled. When I screwed down spring barrel housing I bottomed it out THEN BACKED out 2 full rotations.

I reinstalled stock and tested 3 primed cases ( I think they were FED GM MATCH) All went pop.

I don't have a trigger scale but when I dry fired with weight of rifle it tripped trigger waaaaay before I started letting weight of rifle down.

Im ball parking it but it has to be around 4# ish.

Early impressions.... Im very impressed.... I didn't even get to the part of how much I love the wood. I have heard people say that there was less that stellar wood and il fitting wood. Mine was not the cases.

Havnt shot it yet, but based on look and function, Im happy.

I have to check on manufacture date but Im guessing Henry listened and fixed the issue.

Has anyone had similar results?

If this is the case, I do see other calibers in my future.

Boolit Master
    Looks like a nice gun. Let us know how it shoots.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Jniedbalski View Post
    Looks like a nice gun. Let us know how it shoots.
    Working up loads as we speak

Boolit Grand Master

Good to see they finally did something about the trigger, even if it is as simple as removing that small spring. As mine came, I remember something like a 7-8# pull. The hammer pull was bad for those with weaker hands. Henry at first failed is all that can be said about it. I'm glad they improved it, a 4# trigger is acceptable by most standards.

As for the rest of the rifle, besides those few who got bad ones, there is not much you can knock. That's why I pursued the trigger so much, as the rest of the gun was phenomenal. Henry is famous for the nice wood. I think some people are so picky, that any gap at all is no good. In particular, that tiny little gap between the frame and forend. But that gap is what makes these so accurate. Henry went with some kind of a hanger bar style system, such that the frame isn't exerting force onto the barrel. I would turn that spring housing back in if I were you. I would hate for you to find out it caused the stock to be JUST loose enough to crack.

Now here is the next boom and bust. The good, is Henry has created the industry leader as far as I'm concerned when talking about a switch barrel gun. The design of a detent retained hinge pin that pushes out easy, is top notch. You could do it with zero tools if you wanted, something no other single shot on the market can brag. The bad is that nobody has yet made an aftermarket barrel for these. I've been messaging all the makers of TC barrels, but no takers yet.

As I said in the beginning, the potential is there, it is only a matter of how Henry goes forward with this.

Boolit Master
    Well good!

I've done all the things needed on my very early
    production .357, including Skinner sights, so
    now it comes to shoulder and shoots like it
    has it's own radar !!

Been thinking about one in 30-30........

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    Good to see they finally did something about the trigger, even if it is as simple as removing that small spring. As mine came, I remember something like a 7-8# pull. The hammer pull was bad for those with weaker hands. Henry at first failed is all that can be said about it. I'm glad they improved it, a 4# trigger is acceptable by most standards.

As for the rest of the rifle, besides those few who got bad ones, there is not much you can knock. That's why I pursued the trigger so much, as the rest of the gun was phenomenal. Henry is famous for the nice wood. I think some people are so picky, that any gap at all is no good. In particular, that tiny little gap between the frame and forend. But that gap is what makes these so accurate. Henry went with some kind of a hanger bar style system, such that the frame isn't exerting force onto the barrel. I would turn that spring housing back in if I were you. I would hate for you to find out it caused the stock to be JUST loose enough to crack.

Now here is the next boom and bust. The good, is Henry has created the industry leader as far as I'm concerned when talking about a switch barrel gun. The design of a detent retained hinge pin that pushes out easy, is top notch. You could do it with zero tools if you wanted, something no other single shot on the market can brag. The bad is that nobody has yet made an aftermarket barrel for these. I've been messaging all the makers of TC barrels, but no takers yet.

As I said in the beginning, the potential is there, it is only a matter of how Henry goes forward with this.
    Much thanks. I took your advice and tightened up the barrel spring housing. I went and just pulled apart the whole assembly to polish up the trigger/hammer engagement. Upon reassembly it made for a really crisp trigger.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by FredBuddy View Post
    Well good!

I've done all the things needed on my very early
    production .357, including Skinner sights, so
    now it comes to shoulder and shoots like it
    has it's own radar !!

Been thinking about one in 30-30........

That's really good to hear. Did you do the spring swap? Im still thinking about ordering the 42# spring just to test.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Thanks for the write up! I'll be anxious to hear how she shoots - a nice looking rifle! I have one of these on my bucket list and will probably get one ordered closer to fall to use for plinking and target play. As one individual stated in regards to the "wood" - I own a number of Henry lever actions and I have never ben disappointed in any of them or in the wood Henry uses - it reminds me of the good quality wood stocks that we used to be accustomed to on the major manufacturers 50 or 60 years ago - certainly not what many of them use today.

Looks like you got a "keeper" and have fun with it!