MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load Data
Lee PrecisionRepackboxTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Wideners Reloading Everything

Thread: 70-150 Winchester Center Fire

Boolit Master

70-150 Winchester Center Fire

About a year and a half ago a fellow cartridge collector asked if i was able to help him with a project.. It was reproducing the original 70-150 Winchester as shown on an early Winchester cartridge Board from 1887. With the help Of Dave and Denny of CH4D, we were able to acquire a set of Loading dies and Form dies to make this massive Case. It is Built on a Magtech 12 Gage Brass case , necked and shouldered , Trimmed. to Winchester Spec . This are not Loaded with the 150 Gr. Of Black Powder as Required But is the same equivalent weight Of media filler. The primers are also Deactivated. Basically a Display Round for our annual meeting. Case length is 2.18"
    Well here is the result
    Thanks For Looking
    Sal
    AmmunitionArtifacts
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

If memory serves me, there is some sort of 17MM round that also uses the 12ga Magtech brass, isn't there?
    Pretty neat stuff.
    What are the chances that the Magtech case would actually work for a functional rifle?

Thanks for sharing.

Boolit Master
    The other case You speak of is The French Tabatiere 17.8x35R Model 1857/69. I make and shoot That also with the magtech
    NRA Endowment Member

Boolit Master
    Is that a round ball load?
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Banned

Wasn't the original just a display item?

Boolit Master
    To answer the above questions. One of The original cartridge was a Cartridge board Dummy On the early Winchester Board. The one I saw @ a cartridge show had 2 small mounting holes. and a Bullet that Looked like a Round ball . The cartridge was sold For $900.00. One Of the First wright up was In the first addition of Cartridges of the World. They were wrong then and with all the Reprints they became the Bible of Been wrong many times Over. If you Collect Cartridges That is Last book to go by. The idea That there is Only one is wishful thinking . Several Winchester have been Found in the past 10 years. This is what I have Read . The original Winchester was suppose a Paradox Barrel ( part smooth and Part rifled). That might explain the round ball Similar to The British 4,8,10,12 Bore doubles.
    Currently many People are now making single shots In this caliber
    Most are Using The Remington Rolling block Or martini Henry. any action big enough probably will work. I made These to bring to a cartridge show .
    Sal
    AmmunitionArtifacts
    NRA Endowment Member

Boolit Master

Now this kind of thread I like , interesting information about something I had been unaware of .

Boolit Buddy

I remember seeing an advertisement for 70-150 conversions of Chinese M1887 reproductions. However I never saw a review or write-up on one.

Boolit Master
    I know Norinco has made a Repro m1887 never seen one Nor used one. It would have to have a New barrel Fitted. These will not Chamber in a Modern 12 gage
    Sal
    AmmunitionArtifacts
    NRA Endowment Member

Boolit Grand Master

I took dimensions from a cartridge reforming book and turned a couple up from hard wood just to see what they actually looked like. Its a big round. I alsi did this with some others I was considering.

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    We have fired several rounds of 12 gauge loaded with 135 grains 2F under a .685 round ball from a double Fox B with 30 inch barrels. It will get your attention. We decided that 135 grains 2F was all the fun we required. 120 grains is not too bad. Before I fire 150 grains I want a heavier double or a mercury insert in the stock.. Maybe both with a limb saver.
    I would think that RB at over 1500 fps would go though most critters found on this side of the globe.
    Mike in LLama Land
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master
    The research On this Case has been Very spotty. in some Books the Bullet range in size From .705 t0.730. Bullet weight also vary. Some early articals state the weight Range is 700 to 900 grain lead
    the ball we used for The Dummies is a sized .710 . This ball does not have the weight of The recomended bullet . So we gather that the round ball as in the dummy round produced By winchester was just for appearence. . In order to achieve a weight of 700Gn t0 900gn, the leasd bullet must have been conical .
    NRA Endowment Member