MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad DataRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PC leaves rim around boolit base

Boolit Master
    First, I live in an area with really low humidity (high static), so my method may not work for some. I also do smaller batches, 20 or 30 rifle bullets at a time, with a suitable amount of poly beads and Eastwwod's Ford Light Blue.

After shaking I pour the bullets and beads into a plastic colander. Shake until all the excess powder is through. When I pick up the bullet with tweezers I wipe the bottom of the bullet. Then stand up on the pan and bake. Yes, every now and then I still get a little bit of build up on the base, but, it comes right off when I size it.

Yes, I take a lot of time when making bullets for my rifles. I want them to shoot into little groups

If I coated for pistol I'd dump them in a large can, shake, put in a wire basket and bake. Probably not even size them if I could get away with it.

Boolit Buddy
    Hey CW

I AM using exactly that powder Eastwood Ford light blue, great stuff. Also their maroon and a green. Those take a bit more heat for a bit longer to get good flow.

Chris

Boolit Mold
    I cast some 95 grain Makarov bullets yesterday. Had to PC them red, right? I used Smoke's Flame Red and it worked very well. I tried wiping some of them on a towel before baking, but the ones I just placed on the baking sheet seemed to fit my brass better. Looks like a learning curve with each caliber being a bit different. Hoping I can hit the range later this week after the hurricane gets through here.

Here if I aint gone,, Were there's a gator in the bushes & SHE"S callin my name
    Size base up & see ; )
    H/D

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Chris S View Post
    Hey CW

I AM using exactly that powder Eastwood Ford light blue, great stuff. Also their maroon and a green. Those take a bit more heat for a bit longer to get good flow.

Chris
    . Hello Chris!!

I like that maroon. Yea I agree!! You can try a addition of clear or white. Sometimes it makes all the difference.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Quote Originally Posted by Chris S View Post
    I tried a wire basket, just too darned random for me. I'd get non-uniform coats, boolits that stuck together, all kinds of non-desirable (to me anyway) results. So, I pick out each one, do as I said above and put them on the mat right side up in nice uniform lines. Yup, it's a pain in the butt, but not so much as the pan lubing I was doing before, so, win win in my eyes.

Chris
    I stand my bullets up in the small gage wire baskets, no issues. Use an old plastic ammo box liner as a jig, nose first then invert onto the tray.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12