Load DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationWidenersLee Precision
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PC leaves rim around boolit base

Boolit Mold

PC leaves rim around boolit base

Extreme newbie here, both to casting and powder coating. I cast some 200 gn round nose flat point in 45LC. I'm using Eastwood clear PC. It coats very easily and thoroughly and bakes on perfectly, well almost. Where the base contacts the silicone baking sheet, it leaves a slight "rim" that is just a bit larger the the base. When I run it through the sizing die, it just folds down rather than shearing off. The rim is exactly the size of my expanded brass, so seating is a chore. I can trim the excess off with a razor knife, but surely there is an easier way. Maybe try baking nose-down? Any ideas? Thanks!

Boolit Master
    Are you shaking excess powder off with a strainer before you bake 'em? If not try that and your issue will go away....at least mine did!
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Shuz View Post
    Are you shaking excess powder off with a strainer before you bake 'em? If not try that and your issue will go away....at least mine did!
    +1 on what Shuz said. If that doesn't completely take care of the issue, NOE makes some very good 'Bullet Base Chamfer Tools' that will get rid of that 'rim' with just a flick of the wrist.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Mold
    Thanks, guys, for the tip; it works great! I was afraid of removing too much powder, but it worked just fine.

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

Ta Da another newbie helped out nice job guys no insults no go read the post just good helpful post this is what makes this site better then most.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Boolit Buddy
    Yo can never shake off to much powder from what I have experienced,

How do you like the clear? I’ve been thinking about buying a pound

It’s amazing how the powder coat stays on. This is after a watermelon and 2 gallons of water

Attachment 262954

Boolit Mold
    Thumbs up on the thread. This helps me. I had some “flash” on some of my boolits after sizing last time. Sounds like I probably got a little lazy shaking off excess. Will be casting this weekend hopefully so will shake harder. ��.
    Follow up question: if the flash/fins are small enough to easily fit in the case, are they a problem or accuracy?
    Last edited by Crowley; 05-30-2020 at 12:30 PM. Reason: Autocorrupt typo

Boolit Bub
    I put my bullets before I size them into a stainless mesh strainer and swirl around it takes off those annoying edges very well

Boolit Mold
    Eastwood clear is awesome. It will literally coat completely in 10 seconds of tumbling. I lucked into a good one to start with. BTW, I just ordered three colors from Smoke to experiment with. This PC stuff is fun.

Boolit Master
    Crowley,
    No it should not affect accuracy.

I don't get the flashing mentioned in this thread and never have. I have always used BB's and not too much powder in the tub. Not sure why I've never seen any flashing, but I haven't. That said, as long as you aren't shaving PC and the bullets fit the cases (properly sized bullets and expander) you should be fine.

The NOE tool works if needed but I would think after running through the sizing die, the PC flashing would be broken and a finger nail would wipe it off.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lbrowning View Post
    Eastwood clear is awesome. It will literally coat completely in 10 seconds of tumbling. I lucked into a good one to start with. BTW, I just ordered three colors from Smoke to experiment with. This PC stuff is fun.
    If you don't get good coverage with any of the colors (unlikely with Smoke's colors) mix a little clear in and you'll be amazed. I probably mix 50/50 clear and color and get easy and consistent coating every time. Fun ain't it!

Boolit Master

You can also gently blow off excess after placing them for baking. Scrambled a batch one time and did not want to start over from all the loose powder on the parchment. Been using this method ever since.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Boolit Master

Smoke's advice to shake the container up and down a few times after swirling is sound. It shakes off the excess. A little experimenting will show how many shakes is enough but not too much. Too many and the bullets bounce into each other and rub some bare spots.
    "There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something."
    ~Thorin Oakenshield

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by WinchesterM1 View Post
    Yo can never shake off to much powder from what I have experienced,

How do you like the clear? I’ve been thinking about buying a pound

It’s amazing how the powder coat stays on. This is after a watermelon and 2 gallons of water

Attachment 262954
    You're not kidding! Here are a few 9mms after impacting the plate rack. Smoke's Signal Blue. Not flaking off at all. Amazing stuff!

"There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something."
    ~Thorin Oakenshield

Noe makes a handy little tool that removes the lead flash that sometimes makes it hard to seat a gas check. Don't take off any more of the PC than just the flash and you should have no problem with just a very slight bevel base. Gp

Boolit Master

DONT BE AFRAID to sift off excess powder!! It makes for a more uniform coating. If ya feel you want more coat and bake a second time!

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Buddy
    Sooooooo, my $.02: I was getting these base ridges too and used one of NOE's base reamers. But that bugged me because most of the time I would get a ring of open lead right at the base edge...where you want the bullet to be pristine. Kinda like making a bevel base bullet. And when I seated a gas check and then coated, the ridge was doubly annoying. I've always felt and have read that the bottom edge of the bullet is the steering wheel, it needs to be perfect. The entire base edge needs to exit the muzzle at the same instant.

So, with this in mind, what I do now is to powder coat as normal in a plastic bowl with a lid, pick the bullets out one at a time with a tweezers and tap off the excess, then just before I place the bullet on the silicone mat, I wipe it's base across a paper towel. Fidgety and fumbly? You bet, just get good with a tweezers or hemostats and you'll be baking better bullets in no time. After the wipe off, I get none of that base ring at all, plus my silicone mat is no longer spattered with the remnants of bullet batches past.

Chris
    Last edited by Chris S; 06-04-2020 at 10:57 PM.

Why I prefer a thin gage wire baskets for baking.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Buddy
    I tried a wire basket, just too darned random for me. I'd get non-uniform coats, boolits that stuck together, all kinds of non-desirable (to me anyway) results. So, I pick out each one, do as I said above and put them on the mat right side up in nice uniform lines. Yup, it's a pain in the butt, but not so much as the pan lubing I was doing before, so, win win in my eyes.

Chris

Boolit Master

Chris try different colors and even different brands of powders.

https://youtu.be/U-rIIon5c4E

Here is two colors I just used. You can see how well they come out. Eastwoods Ford Light Blue coats and flows very well... BUT CAN STICK like the dickens!! Adjust the amount on the bullet and be sure you have proper temp and time and much of that changes. I have a couple cideos up showing how and what I do. Hope it can help ya.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast