RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyWidenersLee Precision
Inline FabricationRepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My kids are getting their revenge.

Boolit Master

My kids are getting their revenge.

When I was younger and dumber, my folks gave me advice and suggestions on things such as careers, vehicles, moving, and women.

I ignored most of it and paid the price later.

Now my kids are young and dumb and ignoring my advice. It's a vicious cycle.

My daughter and son-in-law are in Japan and flying back to the US in July. They can't bring their Toyota Alphard from Japan so need a vehicle. They found a few vehicles online and had me go look at them and drive them. Which I did. I found significant issues with each one. The last one was a 2015 Toyota Sienna AWD min-van. I went down to look at it and immediately noticed several cosmetic issues ranging from door dings to trim coming off, and prior repairs done not up to standard. The interior was in nice shape and mechanically it seemed perfect and rode and drove fine. I took pictures of every flaw I found. Then I checked the Carfax report and discovered that it had been sold to a fleet management company, so either it was a rental car or a company vehicle.

I told my daughter and son-in-law to run away from it.

Nope. They bought it. So now I have to go down there next week and pick it up for them. Kids never listen.

My girlfriend didn't listen to me when she bought her last vehicle, which was also a rental vehicle. She's had nothing but problems with it and it's a 2018 with 33k miles.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

That's no big deal.

Wait and see which nursing home they pick for ya.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

Well you can tell them , but they have to make their own decisions and live their own lives , Son was in the navy,as a corpsman , i advised staying in doing the 20 letting navy pay for advanced training , but it is their decision and choices , as you said we did not pay attention to our fathers advice.

Boolit Master
    You got to know that if things go wrong it's still your fault since you didn't point out the problems strenuously enough.

I've found that fleet vehicles TEND to have better service then private that get traded. My present truck was bought from a private individual but it was maintained by friends I used to wrench with in the old days. They turned pro and had all the records on computer files and could talk without reading files the condition of the truck.

Sometime be it painful you have to let them make mistakes and bad decisions and their choices in life it's how we learn , yea it's the hard way but hopefully they only do it once .
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    [QUOTE=jsizemore;4912760]You got to know that if things go wrong it's still your fault since you didn't point out the problems strenuously enough.

I've found that fleet vehicles TEND to have better service then private that get traded. My present truck was bought from a private individual but it was maintained by friends I used to wrench with in the old days

. They turned pro and had all the records on computer files and could talk without reading files the condition of the truck.[

I've bought a couple fleet vehicles, current is a 2010 Dodge Ram, from Bureau of Land Management. Well maintained, good cosmetically and mechanically. Government fleet vehicles are on a regular maintenance schedule, and are serviced whether they are due, or not.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

"And the beat goes on, and the beat goes on."
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

We have owned two former rental/fleet vehicle and had no real problems.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Banned

Depends on who owned it. Several companies here have their stuff serviced at a friends shop. One does oil changes after 15K miles. The other does 5K. And both specify standard oil and filter. No thanks

Boolit Master

My kids are getting their revenge.

I am on my 6th company car and I always try to take care of them up until I turn them in. Some companies allow you to purchase your company car when the term is up so companies like that tend to have nicer cars turned in (never know when you’ll need to buy it out for personal need). Of the 5 I’ve turned in, one I bought, 1 had transmission drop out right before I was done with it so they scrapped it and put me in a rental till new one arrived, rest I would have bought had they let me (were no longer allowed to buy them).

That being said some of my co-workers have been reprimanded by our company cause of the state the vehicles were when turned in.

End story, kick the tires real hard and make sure engine is in good shape and has been serviced properly. Lots of guys don’t follow normal service schedule like they should.

Boolit Master

My company vehicle is a 2015 Ford Escape with 15k miles on it. Horrible little vehicle in every way. It is shared by 10 other guys in my department, most of which are young guys who have thrashed it. It has seen air multiple times, rarely goes over 25 mph, and has been in the shop numerous times.

It looks and feels like a vehicle with over 150k miles. It gets regular service at the dealer.

When I was driving it last week with another coworker, we were discussing just how awful it was and he commented that he felt sorry for whoever ends up buying it, thinking it was a well-maintained low mileage vehicle.

On the other hand, when I worked in Phoenix and lived in Prescott, I shared a 2009 Toyota Sienna mini-van with several other employees that the company provided for the 75-mile commute. We all took turns driving and it was treated respectfully and was serviced regularly. We had to turn it in at 70k miles and it never had a bit of trouble and still looked and drove like new.

The company replaced it with a brand new Dodge Caravan. Transmission went out at 15k miles and it was starting to fall apart at 30k miles. Just garbage.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    It is shared by 10 other guys in my department, most of which are young guys who have thrashed it.
    Any car driven by someone that doesn't own it is usually bad for it.
    Having more than one driver is really tough on them- especially company cars or 'rent rockets'.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    one careful owner,the other ten were right ,;..

Boolit Master
    I own a 2014 Edge that has been one of the best vehicles I've ever owned. I bought it in 2015 with 20,000 miles on it. It came from a rental company that the Ford dealer had purchased and put through the "Certified used vehicle" program. We had a couple minor problems when we first bought it that the dealer immediately fixed. Other than replacing the battery a year ago it has been problem free since then.

I've had good luck with fleet vehicles, but you do need to be picky.

Banned
    Fleet vehicle can mean different things.
    A vehicle driven by multiple people, for short trips, trashed inside and out, poorly maintained and treated even worse.
    OR
    A vehicle provided to an individual driver, well maintained and cared for.

And everything in between.

As for young people not taking advice, I don't think that will ever change.

Boolit Mold
    "A vehicle driven by multiple people, for short trips, trashed inside and out, poorly maintained and treated even worse.
    OR
    A vehicle provided to an individual driver, well maintained and cared for."
    For the latter, that may include mounting a good set of high-quality rims and tires. You can tell that they've managed to accomplish this by purchasing their set from 4WheelOnline. Their price value and collections are just amazing!

Boolit Master
    Depending on the year for that caravan, dodge had a lousy reputation for those up until 10 or 11, then they fixed the problems,and then went to a ground up redesign of a 6 speed. Our 2013 caravan has 225k on it, and it's been the best, longest lasting vehicle we've ever had! Oh yeah, it was a fleet vehicle from enterprise car sales, 29k when we bought it in February 2014.

Boolit Grand Master

I have had terrific luck buying 2 year old rental cars directly from the company sales units. My last 7 vehicles were 3 from Enterprise and 4 from Hertz. The only one that had an issue was a 2005 Impala that had the transmission start to slip. Turns out it was a known bad design and rather than repair it, the warranty replaced it with a new factory upgrade. Hard to be terribly unhappy with that.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    I have had terrific luck buying 2 year old rental cars directly from the company sales units. My last 7 vehicles were 3 from Enterprise and 4 from Hertz. The only one that had an issue was a 2005 Impala that had the transmission start to slip. Turns out it was a known bad design and rather than repair it, the warranty replaced it with a new factory upgrade. Hard to be terribly unhappy with that.
    And I've had terrific luck dating prostitutes. Only one disease! And a pill cured that in a couple of days.

Same thing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast