Inline FabricationWidenersReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2RepackboxSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Load Data

Thread: 32 GA paper patched slug gun?

32 GA paper patched slug gun?

Hello all, got a wild idea the other day. I was at the lgs and he has a used but virtually new 32 GA single shot nef with a rifled barrel. I guess they were built as tranquilizer guns for the fish and game dept. It looks to have about a 1 in 30" twist, and it got me thinking about a gauge rifle. Midway has brass in 2 1/2" for it, could you paper patch a mini ball style bullet to engage the rifling? I know the pressure would have to be kept down, but these same guns were built as 3" 12 GA guns, so they can handle some pressure. Maybe try for 45lc type velocity... What do you guys think? Is it cabin fever or a reasonable idea?
    "Give me liberty, or give me death!" Patrick Henry ,March 23, 1775

I owned a Italian 32 ga. O/U shotgun and the bore size was .505 dia. I thought of making some 50 cal. round ball loads for it and see how well the two barrels were regulated but never did it and sold the gun last year. I have heard of the H&R rifled guns but never seen one to see whether the rifling was sufficient to use with a lead boolit or ball ?
    I made a full set of reloading dies to fit a MEC 600 and reloaded the 32 ga. hulls and you can buy new 2 1/2” hulls , wads so If I had a rifled bore 32 ga. I would try some 50 cal. Boolits and see how it shoots. I would probably try to find a boolit around 350 grs. and start with about 12 grs. of Unique powder and give it a try !

Jedman

Boolit Bub
    The H&R is a 32 ga cap chur tranquilizer gun.
    It is rifled. I don’t know the strength. It had a special dart propelled by a 22 blank ( I think)
    Open sights. I see one on GB from time to time.
    TT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The rifling is shallow, but I don't know much about rifled shotguns. A 350 grn bullet at 1500 or so fps would be awesome if it was somewhat accurate. A wad might be the best way to get engagement of the rifling like a sabot. Just trying to decide if it is worth playing with...
    "Give me liberty, or give me death!" Patrick Henry ,March 23, 1775

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    I've never tried paper patching but this might be a project to try it in .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

We bought one for Dad decades ago. But it wasn't a Harrington and Richardson, it was an AYA Cosmos single shot smooth bore. It used the insert mentioned above with 22 blanks. The darts had yarn Fletching on the tail end to stabilize them. This doesn't help you but it brought back a good memory for me LOL!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I know a guy that made slugs for 28g single/ smooth bore buy wrapping 54 cal maxi balls with styrofoam sheets. Loaded like paper patched in plastic cup wads? Don’t know brand. He got decent accuracy at 50yds.