RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWideners
Repackbox Load Data

Thread: Biehler Dies on a RCBS Rock Chucker

Boolit Mold

Biehler Dies on a RCBS Rock Chucker

I picked up a set of dies with accessories on Ebay from a guy that thought it was Gunsmithing supplies. Got them for a song and dance. That said I have never swaged bullets before and would like to give it a try with my pre 82 Rock Chucker. The issue I have is that the punch holder for the Biehler dies uses a 9/16"-16 thread. What are my options? Adapter to go in existing shell holder groove? New solid ram? Any help would be appreciated.

Boolit Master

your best option is to change out the ram with a threaded one.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master
    You might (assuming that your dies are .22–6mm size) check with Corbin’s and see if he can make you a punch that fits the shellholder slot in your ram. For bigger bullets a solid ram, threaded at the top, would be preferable.

An adapter that fits the shellholder slot, with threaded hole in center to fit your present punch, can also be made. I did one once on my lathe for a LLF .22 die set I found.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for the input guys. I may go ahead and try making an adapter. My biggest concern is that the press will never be at its highest force point. Looking at the dies and punches I would say that the ram needs to be about 2" shorter to get the full advantage of the press.

Boolit Master

I have a set of B&A dies in 224 and use them on the Walnut Hill in the reloading mode. I made a whole bunch of adapters in every thread size & pitch I might need using short 7/8-14 grade 8 bolts. Swaging 224 bullets requires very little force so a Rockchucker or similar press has more than enough force, you just need a threaded ram. Someone here on this forum made one for my Rockchucker II but I can't remember who.

Bob
    Si hostes visibilis, etiam tu