MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWidenersReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ever have a casting session that just flowed?

Ever have a casting session that just flowed?

It is getting hot here and I cast outside, so one of the last cooler days was a good way to be done until the fall. I set everything thing up and started casting with my easiest casting mold, a Lee 452 200 swc 6 banger. Several hours later I finished. I had almost no rejects, the mold just rained boolits and it was a nice day. As I looked for rejects I knew I had really piled them up when I had more than would fit in a 30 cal ammo can. Just over 60 pounds of keepers. I don't think I will need to cast more of these for some time.
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

A good SHTF stash if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by 2A-Jay View Post
    A good SHTF stash if you ask me.
    Probably have 2000 loaded already. Staying out of the indoor range and shooting black powder in the forest extends the ammo stash tremendously.

Banned
    that's about 2000 bullets. When I was competing heavily, it would have sufficed for a couple of weeks. of the competition season. I'd be off season for 4-5 months in winter, Cold weather and high speed draws with cocked and locked autos dont mix. Neither does snow and ejected hot brass. I was not yet smart enough to lay down sheet plastic so as to catch my empty cases. The IPSC clubs in my area only held matches for 8 months of the year, so I mostly shot .22lr conversion units during winter months. Today, it would serve me well for 6 months, but the wife shoots twice as much centerfire as me cause she needs the practice. I"ve been able to run sub 7 second el presidentes from concealment for 40 years, so it doesn't take much more than .22lr conversion unit shooting, dryfire and airsoft to keep me posting A class scores, on relevant matches. I dont consider stages of fire beyond 50 ft, or more than 2 second exposures from cover, or more than 3 targets at once to be relevant. You'd never survive having to do it, other than by luck. If luck is going to decide the outcome, why practice it?

Boolit Grand Master
    I had a H&G #256 that was like that. The last time I used it before I sold it I had one reject out of just under 250 boolits, and that one was my fault for an incomplete fill.

The only reason I sold the mold was I didn't have a .41 Magnum and didn't see me finding one I could afford.

Robert

Boolit Grand Master

The only bad things about those days is it makes me realize the limits of the pot. I had one on Monday, bullets casting like rain. I think I emptied and filled the pot 6 times. I never could do the long runs like some guys. By 2000 bullets, even from a 5/6 cavity, I'm beat.

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    The only bad things about those days is it makes me realize the limits of the pot. I had one on Monday, bullets casting like rain. I think I emptied and filled the pot 6 times. I never could do the long runs like some guys. By 2000 bullets, even from a 5/6 cavity, I'm beat.

I hear that. The pot limitation is real with 45 boolits. With the Lee 6 banger in 358-125 I am usually beat by 3 pots. I like and shoot the 358-105 but do not own the mold (will have to fix that). I imagine the pot would not be a constraint there.

Boolit Master

Only a few times, but it sure is nice when it happens!

Boolit Grand Master

Have quite a few moods that rain bullets from start to finish. They are all 200+ grains. A NOE 360-200 FN will churn out a lifetime supply of hunting bullets in short order. And a MP 452-200 is my favorite mold to cast with. Just don’t shoot enough of them to warrant casting w/ it much. Smaller caliber, lighter weights and long nose designs tend to give problems and some point in the casting process. Especially 22 caliber bullets.

Often does that happen now for me. It used to be mostly frustration to cast but I'm over the hump and can figure out issues.

One of the biggest things is not checking the bullets when I cast. Not that it slows me down, but it breaks my concentration. I get in my own little world and think about things and get a rythme going. The other is not scrimping on tin.

If I have fillout issues I add tin.

If I in any way think I have contamination in my mould I fill the cavities with lighter fluid. On a hot mould the fluid boils and really cleans the cavities. Never had it burst into flames like I expected. And it doesn't cool the mould down like blasting with brake cleaner will.

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    Have quite a few moods that rain bullets from start to finish. They are all 200+ grains. A NOE 360-200 FN will churn out a lifetime supply of hunting bullets in short order. And a MP 452-200 is my favorite mold to cast with. Just don’t shoot enough of them to warrant casting w/ it much. Smaller caliber, lighter weights and long nose designs tend to give problems and some point in the casting process. Especially 22 caliber bullets.
    Yeah, the Lee 30 cal soup can is a frustrating mold, but they sure are fun to shoot.

The 452-200 SWC is what I shoot more of than any other mold. Glad it casts easily. This mold must be nearing the 10,000 boolit mark. I know I will eventually wear it out. Might look for a Noe or MP clone at some point.

Boolit Master
    yes, sometimes a session just goes all right. thats when I go get any other mold I might want bullets from, and keep going.
    .....and sometimes you cannot seem to get a good one to drop.......sometimes you just have to try another day.

Boolit Master
    For me, it's easier to get in the groove once I've been there.

I seem to need to get reacquainted with the pots and preheating hot plate, the alloy and the molds, each time I've laid them aside for a while. Once I get my rhythm back, it can flow nicely over a session of a few hours and thousands of keepers with few rejects, but until then, it can get ugly...

Boolit Master
    Yes, I've had days like that. I usually do have very good casting sessions, but it seems that the best times it's raining outside and somewhat cool. I cast under my carport that is open on 3 sides, more or less, and won't cast in wind. I don't know what it's about with the moisture and casting for me, but those times I get almost zero rejects, the mold is happy, and the lead just flows from the ladle. I have to tell myself to slow down as my MP Molds won't tolerate overheating too well. Patience rewards the bullet box....

Boolit Master
    Are you dropping sprues back into the pot as you go, or getting them later? The latter method runs the pot low fast and l find temperature control is harder as level drops. The added sprues seem to soak up some excess heat as the pot drops. Yeah, maybe I could use a better controller...

Folks on this site sure help me get better results and I see l need to run fewer moulds to get a better product. Thanks

Boolit Master
    I drop spreus into pot as I go, I drop obvious culls into pot as I go.
    I keep a better tempo this way

Quote Originally Posted by kens View Post
    I drop spreus into pot as I go, I drop obvious culls into pot as I go.
    I keep a better tempo this way
    I do the same.

Love those rainy days, happens when I use my Lee 6 banger molds

Boolit Master

I use a pair of old metal bread pans for dropping sprues in , and every dozen or so casts I add back to pot , I find keeping pot at the same temp. and fullness adds to a better casting session and more consistent bullets , every once in awhile I drop a pre warmed ingot in .

Molds up to temp. on hot plate sprue plate lube close to hand , no time restrictions and start casting , It sounds like your session was satisfying to you and that is what counts .

Most of mine go well.
    Last week, I was rocking along---- then it happened:

I set the new Lyman DEWC blocks on top of the old Pro-Melt,,,,
    just as I was scooting back to take a break----- they jumped in.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast