RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingWidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Titan Reloading

Thread: 9mm going well

Boolit Master

9mm going well

Tried my first 9mm cast boolits yesterday. These were 147 gr. round nose powder coat style boolits from an NOE group buy. Sized em to .358 after PC and loaded over 3.5 gr. Unique which filled the cases nicely. Shot 25 rounds and there was no leading Was using my M&P 2 compact model. Accuracy was not great, could be the pistol does not like 147 grainers. Need to try them in my carbines. Also have a Lee 125 gr. to try out. My alloy is / 95/2.5/2.5

Boolit Master
    I have found that most of the compact 9s that I've had prefer little slower boolit. Maybe it's me that prefers them. Try 3.2 grains of unique. My 9s are running on 2.8 grains of red dot. Oh, and congrats on getting the 9s to run with no leading, some struggle and some dont.

Boolit Master

Yes I also want to say congratulations on getting them to work as it does seem to be the biggest problematic round on here , have the smith and wesson m&p shield 2.0 with a laser , and I am shooting promo with 127 grain bullets .

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by sigep1764 View Post
    I have found that most of the compact 9s that I've had prefer little slower boolit. Maybe it's me that prefers them. Try 3.2 grains of unique. My 9s are running on 2.8 grains of red dot. Oh, and congrats on getting the 9s to run with no leading, some struggle and some dont.
    sigep, what boolit are you running with such light powder charges? Is it a 147 like the OP?

Glad its working for you. I got a lee die set with seperate taper crimp and an rcbs 124 grain rn mould. I look forward to trying 700x in it in my new kimber micro9

Boolit Buddy
    Sounds like your on your way but here are couple things that might help you with accuracy. Sort your brass and remove any stepped cases and only keep major brands (FC, RP, Win, Blazer etc). I remove anything with "x" in the name like Maxtech and there are few others but thats just my personal rule. Thats one thing that I found necessary with 9mm in order to get good accuracy. Second thing. Pull one of your seated bullets and measure it. 147gr RNs are pretty long so I have a feeling your swaging those down while seating. If thats the case you have to get NOE or some other expander to expand cases correctly to accept lead without swaging. Lighter bullets work better here because they dont have to be seated as deep but thats not the end of the world here. I think you should try that Lee 125gr you got there. Lee 356-125-2R RN is my favorite bullet for 9mm it works really well.

Sounds like your almost there you just have to tweak few things to get accuracy. It took me a while before my 9s were accurate too but you'll get there.

Boolit Master
    Timely post marek! Just got back from shooting. Found a recipe my M&P 2 likes:
    Lee 356 -125 lrn alloy is 95/2.5/2.5. 12 bhn powder coated
    Col 1.110"
    3.6 gr. Titegroup 1000 fps

Most of a mag went into 3" offhand at 20 yds. The Apex trigger I dropped in last night helped a good deal. Also had member DougGuy throat and crown the barrel. I am a happy camper!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic_Charlie View Post
    Timely post marek! Just got back from shooting. Found a recipe my M&P 2 likes:
    Lee 356 -125 lrn alloy is 95/2.5/2.5. 12 bhn powder coated
    Col 1.110"
    3.6 gr. Titegroup 1000 fps

Most of a mag went into 3" offhand at 20 yds. The Apex trigger I dropped in last night helped a good deal. Also had member DougGuy throat and crown the barrel. I am a happy camper!
    That sounds very familiar to my load except I prefer slightly slower powders I'm using AutoComp right now but I've used WSF , Power Pistol, HS6 and many others. I'm playing with Vectan powders now GM3/A0 which are good too. I had DougGuy fix my Canik TP9 SFX and he does great job. Wasnt a good cast shooter until Doug did his magic on it and its great now. That was going to be my last recommendation but you beat me to it
    Last edited by marek313; 06-16-2020 at 04:28 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mvintx View Post
    sigep, what boolit are you running with such light powder charges? Is it a 147 like the OP?
    Im running the Elco boolit from NOE. Been using the hollow point pins since it was new. It drops pretty consistent 151 grain boolits from wheel weights.

2.8 grains of Red Dot also ran the 358 125B mold from Accurate really well. No ejection problems with either boolit and fist sized holes in the target at 10 yards from Glock 26/19, Walther PPS M2, CZ75B, and an SD9VE

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200617_090425.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	71.7 KB 
ID:	264197
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Boolit Master
    Just tried out my new NOE expander plug. Just like with my rifles, the bullet now sets in the brass nice and straight.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"