Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Wideners

Thread: Yes, with Zinc in the alloy you can cast bullets

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance

Yes, with Zinc in the alloy you can cast bullets

Lyman, Cast Bullet Handbook, 3rd Edition - page 44:

For example at 850 degrees, which is in the normal range of bullet casting temperatures, lead will dissolve a little over 2% zinc. If more zinc is added, an immisicible melt is formed and a puddle of the lower density zinc liquid will form on the surface of the molten lead, and no amount of stirring or fluxing will make it disappear. If the temperature is raised, the solubility of zinc in lead increases and the zinc puddle will gradually dissolve. At 1468 degrees, zinc and lead are completely soluble in one another but on cooling, any alloy containing more than 2% zinc will again separate to form two immiscible liquids
    Save those zinc wheel weights
    Last edited by John Boy; 05-28-2020 at 08:29 AM.
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master

you need to dig a little deeper into the info before preaching. yes zinc will desolve in lead, thats why we strive very hard to keep it out. yes you can cast boolits from zinc contaminated lead, but look at your last part of your post, the zinc and lead will separate upon cooling. this will give you an unbalanced boolit that will not fly straight, do you really want to use unstable boolits. the only way people have found to use zinc is as pure for boolits were lead is outlawed, some are haveing good luck.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Banned
    As long as you keep zinc at less than 2% of the mix it will not separate from the mix. The only benifit from adding zinc is a increase in BHN. I'm sure their are more than would like to admit it that have a little zinc in their ingots. IMO.

Boolit Grand Master
    Saw a posting about adding sulphur to the melt. I did it. The cottage cheese slag floated to the top. I skimmed and repeated. The alloy started throwing good bullets.

I have my suspect contaminated ingots quarantined. Probably go to the recycler.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Buddy
    I did the same. Got some bad lead on EBay. I am guessing it was Zinc but apparently Sulphur can flux other things too. Regardless, my lead started casting good after that.

Smokes really nasty and fumes acid so wear an acid mask.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiloh View Post
    Saw a posting about adding sulphur to the melt. I did it. The cottage cheese slag floated to the top. I skimmed and repeated. The alloy started throwing good bullets.

I have my suspect contaminated ingots quarantined. Probably go to the recycler.

Shiloh

zinc and lead will separate upon cooling. Only partially. It adds hardness and yes I've shot 1%Zn in 40sw, works fine, expands well.
    Whatever!

Boolit Bub
    The 2% rule is true most W/W have some zinc in them already just usually not over 1% To get rid of excess zinc I do not use Sulphur I slowly heat until liquefied don't stir or add flux then skim off zinc slurry from top. Then stir and let sit until it isn't moving then skim off. I do this several times then pour into ingots you may have to do this several times depending on how contaminated the mix is. But don't flux until you have a mix that doesn't have a separation when stirred. I have had to do this to several hundreds of # lead people have brought to me to make shot out of.

I just don't understand it. There are so many other sources of lead and alloy out there, that to me, it makes no sense to run the risk of contaminating everything with Zinc. Wheel weights aren't even a consideration for me anymore.