Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackbox
Wideners Load Data

Thread: I hate when this happens.

Banned

I hate when this happens.

Ive got a 700 in 06 that is one of my favorite guns. It shoots the Hornady 150 interlock boat tail into 3/4s of an inch at a 100 yards. Thing is anything else ive shot is closer to double that. Well I was sorting through stuff for crop damage deer shooting this fall and saw I was down to about 20 rounds of ammo for it. So I figured id loads a hundred or so up. Looked on the shelf and no bullets. About every other 150 grain 30 cal bullet made but none of these. Don't know why the mind melt. I about always order a box when im down to a half a box of something I use a lot. But not this time. so I went on line and there sold out everywhere. Seems its a bullet Hornady is discontinuing. Got lucky though. Called my buddy and was talking guns and told him about it and he walked out in his loading room and found 3 boxes. He said he give me two of them because he rarely uses that bullet and didn't even know why he had them. So Ive got 200 of them to last the rest of my life. I guess if that means only shooting deer and a few rounds to make sure the gun is still zeroed it should last me. Moral of the story. If your gun likes something buy yourself 500 of them. Better to die with some left over then to run out.

Boolit Master

Yeah, I know what you mean.
    I bought a Remington 870 with a smooth bore slug barrel back in 1969 that would cloverleaf 3 shots with Remington 7/8 oz slugs at 50 yards or close to it every time.
    Then Remington discontinued that round.
    But, life continues, and new areas of firearms and ammunition experimentation goes on.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Good advice. Many years ago I found that I like the 130 gr Sierra 7mm Single Shot Pistol bullet. At the LGS one day I was told they had been discontinued. The store owner, a friend of mine, offered to locate some for me. He did, by calling every distributor he knew. He got seven boxes for me. I shoot the 120 gr Sierra Gameking in practice, as it has the same trajectory. The 120 gr bullet needs more speed to expand reliably. The 130 gr bullets are reserved for hunting. They are designed for deer and hog-sized game out to 200 yards when launched at 2100 - 2500 fps muzzle velocity. I have enough to last.

Boolit Master
    I have the opposite problem, my 700 in -06 has a particularly loooong lead and does not perform well with the "normal" 150-168g boat tail bullets. It seems happiest with big fat heavy flat based bullets. Haven't found the right one yet, but its fun to keep trying...

Different lot number = Different Accuracy.

Hope all goes well on test firing the new batch.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by metricmonkeywrench View Post
    I have the opposite problem, my 700 in -06 has a particularly loooong lead and does not perform well with the "normal" 150-168g boat tail bullets. It seems happiest with big fat heavy flat based bullets. Haven't found the right one yet, but its fun to keep trying...
    Have you tried the Sierra 180 gr round nose bullets? They shoot wonderfully for me, and the difference in trajectory over spitzer bullets isn't enough to worry about. Zeroed at 200 yards w/ 2600 fps MV, either one will be about two inches high at 100 yards. The RN bullet will stay in the vital zone of a deer out to 250 yards (three inches low), the Game King spitzer will do the same out to 260 yards.

Boolit Grand Master
    Lloyd,
    My two .308’s shoot the Sierra 165 GameKing’s sub MOA. I bought 500 of the same lot number which for me is a lifetime supply. I am a KISS person.

It really is more bullet than I need for Michigan deer but it works.

As to your issue...it surprises me that Hornady would discontinue that bullet. I have heard good things about it. I bought a bunch of different bullets for testing but started with the GameKings and they shot so well I never tested the others.

I just checked and have 7 boxes of the Hornady 150 gr Interlock bullets. let me know if you want any.
    Last edited by dverna; 05-28-2020 at 02:40 PM.
    Don Verna

Banned

I found 3 more boxes at Scheels. So I guess 500 of them should get me through to the point im not able to go in the woods. Don't use the gun in normal deer season. Just for crop damage shooting and have enough guns for that that there normaly rotated on a 3 year basis. Probably could have gotten by with the 200 my buddy gave me but now im for sure in the black.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Lloyd,
    My two .308’s shoot the Sierra 165 GameKing’s sub MOA. I bought 500 of the same lot number which for me is a lifetime supply. I am a KISS person.

It really is more bullet than I need for Michigan deer but it works.

As to your issue...it surprises me that Hornady would discontinue that bullet. I have heard good things about it. I bought a bunch of different bullets for testing but started with the GameKings and they shot so well I never tested the others.

I just checked and have 7 boxes of the Hornady 150 gr Interlock bullets. let me know if you want any.
    for some odd reason this gun destests 165s. Ive tried about all of them. Its what I wanted to shoot in it from the git go. I personaly think theres no better bullet for an 06 then the 165 gameking.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Silvercreek Farmer View Post
    thanks for the help. Id actually saw that add but was nervous because it said 150 btsp and the que number was right but the picture showed a flat base and ive got plenty of them. Didn't want to order them and find out it was the wrong bullet.