RotoMetals2WidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyLoad DataTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Repackbox

Thread: Wilson 9mm pistol gage

Boolit Mold

Wilson 9mm pistol gage

I have used this Wilson pistol gage for quite a while now and all of the FMJ projectiles I have loaded have never had any issues.
    I recently started casting and finally sized and loaded some test rounds of these first cast projectiles. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-First-boolits
    I am sizing with a Lee .358 sizing die and once I got the first couple of test rounds in the case, no primer or powder just adjusting the reloading dies, I dropped them into the Wilson gage and they do not drop all the way in like the FMJs. I can push them down and they will seat but I noticed that the gage was scrapping the powder coating off the projectile where the case gage necks down inside the gage.
    I can freely drop these into a G19 or Shield barrel but for some reason they have issues seating all the way into the 9mm gage.
    Has anyone seen anything like this? I've tried to find the dimensions of the Wilson gage but haven't found it yet.
    Thanks.

The Wilson pistol gauge is made to minimum specs. If it seats fully in the in Wilson gauge it should work in the tightest 9mm chamber out there. I have had the same issues with the Lee 125 bullet. Sometimes the rounds will just fall in the gauge and sometimes you have to press them in slightly. If they pass the “plunk” test in your barrel they will be fine. I have all but given up on the Wilson gauge, your barrel is the best gauge there is.

You're not going to shoot those rounds through your gauge, which is set up for minimum specifications. The true test is the chamber they're going to be fired in. If they fit the chamber, then you're good to go, as long as all the rest is within spec., i.e.; powder, primer, OAL, etc.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Moderator Emeritus

I have a few gauges like that. As stated they are minimum specs so I tend to have a couple of the same gauges from different manufacturers. Could also be because I forgot I had that size and got another but my first explanation will work for now.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by ReloaderFred View Post
    You're not going to shoot those rounds through your gauge, which is set up for minimum specifications. The true test is the chamber they're going to be fired in. If they fit the chamber, then you're good to go, as long as all the rest is within spec., i.e.; powder, primer, OAL, etc.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    This sums it up well. Pull the barrel they’re to be used in and see if they pass the plunk test. If they do then you’re good to go.

Boolit Master
    Your gauge is telling you you have an oversized bullet. Like others have mentioned for custom size ammo your barrel is what matters.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by ReloaderFred View Post

Hope this helps.

Fred
    My feelings exactly! When I got my first semi-auto pistol, 45 ACP, I thought I needed a case/cartridge gauge, even after reloading a few that worked OK. None of my previous reloads would completely enter the gauge and the rim was a few thousandths above the upper step. I fought my methods and equipment. I bought "better" dies and finally, out of frustration I asked on a forum, around '90 or so. The first reply was "do they chamber?". Yep they chambered and all subsequent handloads chambered nicely. Of my 3, 45 ACPs I don't know which has the "tightest" chamber but plunking in my RIA 1911 barrel works quite well for the other two guns as well. I put the gauge in a drawer, somewhere around 30 years ago and plunk test for 8 semi-autos and get 100% good functioning ammo for my guns (not the gauges)...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Buddy
    We make ammo for the gun and not for the gauges and standard specs etc. You know that because your sizing to .358 so your not making standard 9mm ammo anymore. Completely normal not to fit 9mm gauges.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks everyone. I appreciate it.
    They passed the plunk test so I'll start loading them.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Load up 50-100 and shoot them till the gun gets hot. If they still plunk and don't lead the barrel your golden. You'd hate to find out after loading a couple thousand.