Load DataReloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackbox
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision

Thread: Anybody shoot the Lee Improved Minie?

Boolit Master

Anybody shoot the Lee Improved Minie?

Anybody shooting this bullet in an Inline?

I have been looking at one of these molds to try in my Encore.
    Founder of the Single Shot section.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

8 in the 10 ring, then I get a PING. Love my Garand.

Boolit Master
    Not yet, but I just ordered one in .45 for my early H&R Huntsman.

Boolit Buddy
    Im shooting the 50 cal 360 gr minnie. 80 grs 777 shoots really good, 90 grs and you better be shooting from the 25yd line. CVA Opitma. I'm looking for a Lyman 50 cal Plains mold. I use the Hornaday Great Plains 385gr purchased as my benchmark.

cabezaverde, I use the Lee .50cal. Improved Minie in my Knight Bighorn (26" bbl., 1:28 twist) and while it's pretty impressive, there are several things you should know about it and the mold itself. The newer Improved Minie molds no longer use a steel base plug, but one of aluminum. This results in better heat transfer, virtually flawless bases, and lower casting temperatures as well. Second, .50cal. barrel dimensions are different so a slip fit in one bbl. may require a short starter and a smack with a soft mallet in another. Mine requires moderate pressure when clean. Third, you'll need a good BP lube and should try the Minie's with both the hollow base filled with lube v. empty to see if accuracy is affected. Fourth, my rifle is very sensitive to powder granulation. It is more accurate with Pyro. RS than Pyro. P and Goex FFg than Goex FFFg. (This isn't the case with my traditional BP rifles.) Fifth, I've never used Triple 7, but both Pyro. RS & FFg foul my bore enough to require damp swabbing after 2 shots (after every shot would be better) else seating the Minie becomes difficult and accuracy disappears. Sixth, accuracy declines with charges of >60grs. in my rifle. 70grs. - 80grs. FFg or Pyro. RS would likely produce results accurate enough for hunting, assuming no blown skirts, but I'm looking for target accuracy, i.e., 1" or less @ 50 yds. with an aperture sight.

Hope this helps!

Boolit Bub
    Own one of these improved minies, for the 50. Most shoot these great, but I have one with a 1-28 twist that doesent like it no matter what I do. Otherwise they shoot good and are fun since I get acceptabe accuracy without swabbing. Wish I had those newer ones with aluminum base plug, they are aforeable so one might be in the future.....

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Maven View Post
    I've never used Triple 7, but both Pyro. RS & FFg foul my bore enough to require damp swabbing after 2 shots (after every shot would be better) else seating the Minie becomes difficult and accuracy disappears.

I use the Lee 360 gr. minnie in my ML and I use Triple 7 and have just about the same results as you. I can get 3 shots before accuracy falls off. I use LLA for the lube. First 3 shots are pretty accurate though.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SWIAFB View Post
    I'm looking for a Lyman 50 cal Plains mold. I use the Hornaday Great Plains 385gr purchased as my benchmark.
    I have a 50 cal Lyman Great plains mould. To be honest I don't like it at all. The midway catalog says they are .508 diameter. They are not, they are .504 at the top ring. I even sent mine to Lyman because it was not .508 and they said it was fine. At 50 yards I am lucky to keep 3 shots on a pie plate.

This is a Hornady great plains target at 100 yards.

This is a target I shot with a paper patched 500 S&W bullet at 100 yards.

Hornady quit making the 410 gr. I get good groups with the 385 but not quite as good as the paper patched bullets. If you are looking for a replacment you can make, the Lyman great plains bullet is not a good choice, but that is my opinion. Ron

I shoot a few different types of boolits out of my inline including the Lee 500-360-M with great results. I shoot it over 80gr American Pioneer powder and I use Bullshops NASA lube. I used other lubes in the past but the NASA lube is by far the best I have shot with to date. Plus its alot less gucky than bore butter. Im averaging around 3-4" @100yds. My mold drops a .503dia boolit on the top band with pure lead and the bottom band is .500dia.
    If you want a few to try out, Shoot me a pm with your info and I will send you some to see if you like them before taking the plunge of buying a mold.
    ** Please bear with me for a day or two if I dont reply quickly.**
    Mike B.
    Gun Control= Being able to hit your target.

Boolit Master
    Mike, My C-501-440-RF will throw a pure lead bullet at 460 gr. How heavy is your pure lead bullets in your Lee 500-360-M? Thanks Ron