RepackboxInline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky

Thread: WTB - 20 gauge slug mold

Boolit Buddy

WTB - 20 gauge slug mold

Hoping to find something that can be used with our existing components - AA hulls, WAA20 wads, etc. Plan is to get a decent slug for my son to hunt wild boar with me (from stand) at our property, with his 870 youth model. Most opportunities will be well within 50 yards. I notice that Lee doesn't offer anything in 20 gauge, and Lyman's foster is pretty spendy new.
    Last edited by 22lover; 05-27-2020 at 11:30 AM.

Boolit Master

Lee still makes a round ball (pumpkin ball) that will work in a twenty gauge. Just something to think about.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks, yes I've seen a lot of reference to the Lee .575 RB for the 20 gauge. I may end up going that route. Wanted to give a try on getting a more traditional slug if one was out there...mostly because of being heavier, although from what I've read, some feel the RB is more stable than a slug in a smooth bore. Guess I should see if anyone's having success with RB out of a 20 gauge in this particular application - Texas feral pigs. I've always thought that heavier projectile = better when it comes to these critters, but I'm hardly an expert.
    Last edited by 22lover; 05-27-2020 at 01:02 PM.

Boolit Master
    I'm getting ready to start on this adventure myself , while waiting on a group buy 20 gage mold .

Boolit Buddy
    That sounds good, what's the mold specs?

I'm going ahead and ordering the .575 RB to experiment a bit. Won't hurt to give it a shot, and it's inexpensive.... but will still be interested in other offerings per my original post.

Boolit Master
    The wads I have for 20 gage seam to be a little thick with the ball , but that just part of the process .
    I'm keeping my expectations kinda low 4-6 inch 50 yard loads would almost satisfy me .
    Have fun and be safe

Boolit Buddy
    How much are ya looking to spend? When I thought it would be cool to have a slug mold, I bought both a 12 and 20 sabot Lyman mold. I just don't shoot it that much if at all. I shoot way more sporting clays, and I just can't hit them very well with a slug. I've had some cast up for years. I could be talked into casting what you wanted, being retired, I need something to do now and then. Or, for the right price, I could prolly be talked out of the mold, cause when I'm room temp, I'm sure they are gonna get sold off for pennies on the dollar.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1010224420
    I have this one

Boolit Buddy
    Lyman 20 gauge Foster slug. $45.00 shipped. Spotless mold

Banned

Just FWIW, I have played around with a .60 caliber round ball mold in a couple of 20 gauges, one a cheap Rossi with just a bead and (I think ) modified choke and also a Savage 24 with wide open cylinder bore, but also has sights. I normally hunt from tree stands in thick woods and shoot unaware deer. Under those conditions, no doubt in my mind I could do it easily with these.

All I did was cut the petals off a standard trap wad and loaded them using 7/8 ounce load data. Some corn meal on top to fill it up and make it crimp right. AT 25 yards, they'll all touch most of the time.