Load DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
WidenersRotoMetals2RepackboxInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hellcat vs. J-frame for CCW

Boolit Buddy

Hellcat vs. J-frame for CCW

Here's a comparison between the tried and true and the new kid on the block. Let me know your thoughts!

Howard

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    I'll stick with my J frame .
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Grand Master

There is one huge advantage to that revolver not to be understated, for me at least. In loose shorts where a smooth draw is questionable, a revolver will still function inside the pocket.

Boolit Master
    Between the wife and I we have 5 hammerless J frames and two Ruger LC9s with the Crimson Trace lasers. Only the J frames ever get carried, usually with a speed strip for reloads. I have one of the custom shop guns with night sights in .357. If I'm feeling real masochistic I'll shoot a few .357s, but usually carry Rem 110 grain +Ps in it and the rest of them, too. My wife's handgun purse gun and my custom shop gun have Crimson trace grips. In summer I usually carry it in a pocket holster in the right rear pocket of my shorts. GF

Boolit Grand Master
    I carry either the S&W 342 or a Ruger LCP when I need the smallest, practical firearm. Especially when pocket carry is on the agenda, one of those will be along for the ride, because of their very light weight. My LCP weighs only about a half ounce more than my 25 Beretta, and the 342 just a smidgen more than 2 ounces more than that. I shoot a revolver generally better than a DA auto. I don't think the Hellcat will bump either from their position. However, my Glock 19 is on notice: It better watch its step, cause there's a new kid in town that is lighter, thinner, and at least as accurate.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hrfunk View Post
    Here's a comparison between the tried and true and the new kid on the block. Let me know your thoughts!

Howard

I've always liked your videos. Perfect and precise presentation with no tactical ninja crap and too tight T-shirts and "operator" beards.

I think it's fairly obvious what is the better carry gun if you go by facts and evidence, but no way you will get 90% of the members here to admit that their revolver is inferior.

The Hellcat/P365 is easier to shoot, smaller and thinner, holds 100% or more rounds, and is cheaper.

I had a 642 for a few years that my ex-wife carried. She shot it twice. Even with .38 special loads it was harsh and uncomfortable and hard to be accurate with.

My girlfriend loves shooting my P365. It instills confidence, is accurate, and has been 100% reliable.

Revolver fans always point to the "average" self-defense shooting of under 7 yards and 2-3 rounds, but nearly every month, a shooting makes national press that involves further distances with multiple attackers and 10 rounds or more used to stop the attack. Last week was the one in Vegas.

Since most people will never be involved in a self-defense shooting, they can continue to carry a 5-shot revolver and never have to worry if they have enough ammo or if it will be accurate enough.

Heck, carry a .22 LR derringer and feel adequately prepared; you'll probably never have to use it anyways.

But don't look down your nose at those of us who actually like to carry a much more efficient, capable, and smarter handgun.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master
    i always though grip shape matters more than size. similar to trying to hide an egg in your pocket or under shirt compared to a cube, ill take the egg

What you carry is a personal choice and opinion. Why some worry about what others are carrying is beyond me. Then go out of their way to make anybody that doesn’t agree with them wrong.

Boolit Grand Master
    Yep.

What I carry is superior to what any of the rest of y’all chose to carry. Because my judgement is so superior, I will now bless you with my flawless opinion and you ignore it at your peril someday, if the world be a just one.

Boolit Grand Master
    One of the reasons I absolutely cannot discount the carrying of a revolver is from watching John Correia’s ASP channel. Over many videos I have seen multiple individuals make an autoloader malfunction (including cops) by mishandling it intentionally or unintentionally or the autoloader just plain malfunctions. This is not a sunny day at the range but rather real life.

The additional layer of mishandling protection a revolver offers in ensuring the contents of the gun go off as intended seems to be a weighty counterbalance to the downsides of a revolver that ought to be carefully considered. If after reflection someone decides on the revolver for themselves that reason why is a definitive one.

Boolit Master

"Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master
    hes talking about low chance of operator error in revolvers, nothing you linked was operator error. anything can just straight up break or bind up

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bmortell View Post
    hes talking about low chance of operator error in revolvers, nothing you linked was operator error. anything can just straight up break or bind up
    Fair enough.

Boolit Grand Master
    That was my intent, yes. When speaking of the rounds already in the gun the revolver is substantially more forgiving of user related mistakes. No slide stop to accidentally engage, not possible to block or slow the slide, moving the gun rapidly backward while firing does not cause a short cycle, not providing room for the case to eject, entangled use, etc. All of these were well represented.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    There is one huge advantage to that revolver not to be understated, for me at least. In loose shorts where a smooth draw is questionable, a revolver will still function inside the pocket.
    I've seen this stated many times over the years and I'm certain I've recited it myself at some point, but does anyone know of an instance where someone actually fired a revolver from inside their pocket? By the way megasupermagnum, I'm not picking on you directly, I'm just throwing this question out to the group. I'm also not suggesting it's NEVER happened, but I've not heard or read of it (and I've done a good bit of hearing and reading about such things).

Howard

Boolit Master
    We like to think we are smart enough and disciplined enough to NEVER make a dumb mistake.
    I still keep bandaids at home and still keep all my insurance up to date .
    The features that make a da revolver harder to shoot than a striker pistol also make them more forgiving of a laps of attention than a striker fired gun . There is a safety aspect to a long da pull for a gun that goes in and out of a pocket as often as an edc gun does.
    If my gun is not in a belt carry holster I want a da trigger we get to pick what we are comfortable with .
    Pocket carry for me is my last choice but all my pocket guns are da auto or revolver.
    Take your pick and be safe

Boolit Grand Master
    I too prefer a DA gun for pocket carry on the rare occasions I do so. Carrying an LCP2 in the pocket would make me nervous and uncomfortable. An LCP not so.

I have not seen or heard of any incidences of revolver pocket shoot throughs but I have certainly not been exposed to information that is all encompassing.

What is fascinating about the ASP database is how often entangled gunfighting occurs. It is far far more common than having to shoot a lot of rounds. Due to proximity of the assailant when a malf with an autoloader occurs there is zero time or ability to clear it and the gun essentially becomes, at best, a club.

Boolit Grand Master

I've seen this stated many times over the years and I'm certain I've recited it myself at some point, but does anyone know of an instance where someone actually fired a revolver from inside their pocket? By the way megasupermagnum, I'm not picking on you directly, I'm just throwing this question out to the group. I'm also not suggesting it's NEVER happened, but I've not heard or read of it (and I've done a good bit of hearing and reading about such things).

Howard
    Are you asking if it can be done, or if it has been used in self defense? It can be done, there are videos out there. I've done it myself, and obviously not very accurate, it would be effective at close ranges say under 5 yards. I can't recite a case where a person used this technique in self defense. On the other hand I doubt anyone would know if you did. It's rare we even hear what caliber was used. I would be surprised if it has not been used in crime, just look at the old "finger gun in the pocket to pretend it's a real gun" This wouldn't exist if it has not been done in the past.

Howard

It always seemed to me to me a good way to set your clothes on fire.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    Are you asking if it can be done, or if it has been used in self defense? It can be done, there are videos out there. I've done it myself, and obviously not very accurate, it would be effective at close ranges say under 5 yards. I can't recite a case where a person used this technique in self defense. On the other hand I doubt anyone would know if you did. It's rare we even hear what caliber was used. I would be surprised if it has not been used in crime, just look at the old "finger gun in the pocket to pretend it's a real gun" This wouldn't exist if it has not been done in the past.
    I understand what you're saying, and I appreciate the reply. I was asking about actual shooting incidents where someone had to resort to this tactic.

Howard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast