MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingLoad DataReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Wideners

Thread: I need help with sever leading in a Greek Mannlicher

Boolit Bub

I need help with sever leading in a Greek Mannlicher

I was shooting my Mannlicher with a Lee 6.5 torpedo bullet and a Rcbs 140 grain 6.5 bullet. The lube was Lyman Molly. The barrel leaded up about 4 inches from the muzzle, it was so bad it covered the lands and I could not get a large rod passed it. The barrel slugged at .269-.270 and the bullets were .266 and .269, the gas check was sized to .269, the nose of both were vedry slightly engraved. the velocity should have been around 1500 fps. I have to cut the lead out, I have used 4 6.5 and 270 brushes.
    What seems to be the problem. I was using 16- 18 gr of 5477. I thank you for suggestions.

Your bullets are way too small. I'd try them at .272 and hopefully they'll chamber. Your bullet should be two thousands over the bore size.

Boolit Bub
    That is what I thought. Who makes a .270 mold? I have seen NEI but the last time I checked they did not have them. I could use a bit softer
    mix and it may bump up or I could Lee-ment the mold.

OOC: What hardness were your bullets ?

Boolit Master
    Along with getting a mold that drops large enough to size to what you need might try a different lube as well. Not familiar with the one you are using, but have always had good luck with the old NRA Alox/beeswax lube.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich/WIS View Post
    Along with getting a mold that drops large enough to size to what you need might try a different lube as well. Not familiar with the one you are using, but have always had good luck with the old NRA Alox/beeswax lube.
    I agree, try a different lube. If they were undersized, I would think you would have leading in more of the bore. What you describe usually means you have run out of lube. Felix World Famous Lube is still a good go-to lube, the recipe is available here on the forum, or there are vendors selling lube. I tried moly lubes years ago, and while I didn't get leading, the accuracy wasn't acceptable.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Bub
    I was wondering if the grooves on the bullet may not carry enough lube for the long barrel?

Check and see if Al @ Noe bullet moulds has a sizing bushing that fits your need. Gp

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SDC17756.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	52.9 KB 
ID:	262870Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6.5mm Bullet Moulds.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	95.0 KB 
ID:	262872You can always beagle your moulds to increase the bullet diameter.

I use both the Lee cruise missile (cut down to 150gn) and a beagled RCBS 140gn silhouette for my Type 38 Arisaka, M96 swede and M91 Carcano.

I tumble lube with Lee liquid Alox and get zero leading.

ukrifleman

Boolit Bub
    I think that I may have found the answer. The nose of the cruise missile was too large and was being engraved by the lands. Having no lube they leaded. I tried my other mould which is a Lyman, and I had no leading after 10 shots.
    Thanks for all of the suggestions, they sent me in the right direction.