WidenersLoad DataRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Looking at a CZ 82

Boolit Buddy

Looking at a CZ 82

Hi all,
    Came across a CZ 82 the other day, and it looked like an interesting piece. I like old military pistols, and I really like my CZ75.

Was wondering what the experts here think of them. I understand they have polygonal rifling.

My Glock shoots lead just fine, so that rifling shouldn't be a problem should it?

Thanks in advance, Dale

Boolit Master
    I have a cz83 the civilian version in 380 it has the standard rifling they are all steel very well built pistols large for a 380 mine is totally reliable and a good shooter the trigger is duty gun heavy both DA and SA .

Boolit Master
    CZ82 and a 12 round mag full of JHP's for self protection or FMJ's For target and ammo is readily available. When Aim Surplus was selling them and spare mags I managed to get about 6 extras. A lot of folks seem to forget that mags are an expendable item and it's wise to have a few spares. And at the time Aim also sold holsters and leather mag carriers of which I purchased a few. Good solid well made holsters and mag carriers. Frank

I have had a CZ-82 for over 15 years. It's a great pistol. Very accurate and reliable. The trigger is okay, better than many but not perfect. The finish on mine is some sort of paint. Eventually, I'll refinish the pistol in cerkote or KG. It is perfectly sized for me and has been used as a concealed carry pistol. My body type won't let me conceal larger guns but I can carry the CZ. I've only put a couple boxes of factory FMJs through it. Everything else has been cast. I've used the Lee 9mm Mak mold which is a round nose. I also use a TC design from an old group buy. I usually just shoot the bullets unsized and coated with alox lube. I don't worry about poly rifling. Just check it on occasion to ensure you aren't getting any leading. Get the pistol. You'll enjoy it.

Boolit Grand Master

I have two Mak's and a CZ82 - and guess which I carry. It just feels better, more solid and substantial than the Makarov's. I would have no qualms buying another and almost did but then decided one was enough.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Buddy

Thanks for all the positive feedback so far.
    I'm reading way more pro's than con's.
    The example I'm considering is a little rough on the outside but fine otherwise.
    $235 out the door.

Boolit Master

I really like mine. I bought a pair of them back when they could be had for $200 for a nice specimen with two mags and a holster.

By modern standards they are considered "heavy for caliber". The 9x18 Mak round is only a little more powerful than a .380 acp, and nowadays you can buy a lighter gun in a much more powerful round. Also, a straight blowback seems to increase felt recoil on the less powerful round.

That said, I really do like mine. I know it's a lot easier to buy good brass in that caliber now, but I still make mine by trimming down 9x19 brass, simply because I pick up buckets full free off the ground at the range. I use the Lee mold also. I tried tumble lubing but got a little leading with that. I then lube-sized and it worked fine. Now I powder coat and wouldn't do it any other way. I never have a trace of leading in them.

I just had one of mine out at the range a few days ago. Just to see what it would do with my cast bullets, I very carefully fired 8 rounds from sandbags at 25 yards. They all went into a respectable little 3" group. On a good day with an accurate gun, about the best I can do is 1.5" to 2" at 25 yards with a handgun, so for an old surplus pistol, I figured that wasn't bad at all!

Hard to go wrong with a CZ82. They have far more in common with a Makarov than they do with a CZ75, but they're still a quality made gun, and a good value for the money, in my opinion.

Boolit Grand Master
    "Hard to go wrong with a CZ82. They have far more in common with a Makarov than they do with a CZ75, but they're still a quality made gun, and a good value for the money, in my opinion."

I totally concur and agree. I too bought one back before the turn of the century for 199.00, iirc. It was an excellent firearm, with factory US ammunition mine never Malfunctioned, though I do recall a box of surplus that was horribly over sized--some being visibly oblong. I sold mine a few years later due to the oddball ammunition being hard to find-I had both the CZ and a Beretta 84f and one had to go. But if I had bought a CZ83 I might just still have it.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.