Inline FabricationWidenersReloading EverythingLee Precision
Load DataRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky

Thread: H&R (old!) Model 48 firing pin compatibility

Boolit Mold

H&R (old!) Model 48 firing pin compatibility

Hello there! First post - thanks to all for the tips I've received reading through the archives! Now, I've got a question that I couldn't find an answer to - maybe you folks can help!

I got given my grandfather's H&R Topper M48 in 16ga, which was not too pretty, but serviceable. The only thing left is that it needs a new firing pin and firing pin spring.

It's got the type of pin that it listed as "0.095 inch" and is rounded down it's whole length - not the kind that's flattened on one side, where the set screw goes. I wonder if the other (newer?) style of firing pin would work? I have measurements (and pics) of the one that came out, but no info on the new one to compare it to. The newer-old-style firing pin is often labeled "#5" in the flat spot where the screw goes.

The spring probably needs replacing. It looks like the last coil or two snapped off and wedged along side the firing pin, and then the firing pin rode it until it wore grooves into the side.

Is the spring the same as the newer style? Any tips from a Canuck on where to find it? I tried talking to Gravel Agencies in Quebec, but they couldn't help.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200524_191226.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	65.7 KB 
ID:	262736

Name:	20200524_192031.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	112.3 KB 
ID:	262737

Name:	20200524_191339.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	63.2 KB 
ID:	262738

Thanks for any help!
    Bart

Boolit Mold
    Oh, forgot to add it's an H-series serial number. Made in 1947, from what I read.

Thanks!

Hi new guy....welcome to the forum! I took a look at what the Gun Parts Corp. has to offer, and they're out of the original firing pins, but offer a used Williams No. 5 firing pin, Product # 1163870 that they say may be used as a substitute. As for the spring, they're also out of that, and don't offer a substitute, but I suspect that anyone in possession of a good assortment of ordinary springs could turn up something that would work. I used to do general repairs, and springs were usually about the least of my worries. I bought several large batches of springs (sometimes from the GP Corp.) and would just sort through them as required. You might also find something close or right on at a hardware store.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for that! Unfortunately, Gun Parts Corp is no longer shipping to Canada. With the information you gave me, it seems like a Williams #5 will fit. Even if they were, I'm not sure spending $50 after shipping is worth it for this ol' beast, but I may get desperate if they start shipping here again.

I found an ebay listing (which doesn't ship to Canada, either, sadly) that included pictures of the firing pin in a dial caliper, and the numbers are the same as I have. It still doesn't get on to my house, but I'm more confident that if I did find one, it would work.

Any Canadians have a line on a Williams #5 firing pin? Called locally and was one-step away from getting laughed at

Well, like Clinton used to say, "I feel your pain!" There are solutions to your problem, and the ol' smokpole can be made functional again, but one must sometimes be guided by "Is it practical" and "Is it economical?" For example, firing pins are fairly easy to make if one has a metal lathe and the know how to operate one. Back in the day, I turned them out as needed. Well, that's perhaps a bit of an exaggeration, as I always operated on the theory that if I could buy a part readymade my time was better spent in other areas; but nevertheless I did turn out firing pins that I couldn't buy. Not too difficult, and actually one can make them without a lathe using a drill press to turn a piece of drill rod and various files to cut as needed, and heat treat with a torch and drawback in the wife's toaster oven. I don't know what your mechanical skill levels are, but the most practical thing is to take your H&R to a gunsmith and let him fix it. That's where the "Is it economical?" comes in. Next, there are several other used parts vendors you can try like The Jack First Co.(a good bet), Bob's Gun Shop (Royal, Arkansas, also a good bet), SARCO (unlikely for this particular gun), and others you might find searching the internet. You never know, I was just recently somewhat amazed when I found Astra pistol parts at SARCO-- probably would have been my last place to try. Next, seek out those who value such items (in this case H&R shotguns), and believe me, they are around-- all you have to do is find them. If someone enjoys tinkering with these old timers they usually have some extra parts, and maybe the part you're looking for. Another idea, ask around on some of the other internet gun forums. CB isn't the only one, and it isn't particularly aimed at guns, more so at boolits and casting. Visit gun shows and yard and estate sales (do they still have these in Canada? I don't know.....) and look for a junker gun to buy and steal parts from. Put an ad in you local shopper paper, if you have one-- ads are often free, stating what you need. Some ideas for you.
    There is even hope that you'll eventually turn one up on this forum if the thread gets enough attention, as there are those present who believe that "No good H&R or NEF should go unstubbed. Maybe you'll have to research that one in the archives!

Boolit Mold
    Thanks again for the thorough reply and advice! Those resources you highlighted all seem very good but, unfortunately, none ship to Canada. Took your advice and searched Canadian suppliers again, but nothing was available. I did get a response to a wanted ad, though! The good news is that I may have one mailed to me shortly.

Cheers!

Boolit Master

Drill out the tip and replace with a drill bit that diameter. Round the tip. That spring look usable to me but if you have to replace buy a set of springs from a local hardware and make one fit.

Or get a buddy with a lathe and get him to fix it up for you.

To me that is an easy fix.