Load DataRepackboxWidenersReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quickload for Linux

Quickload for Linux

Has quick-load ever been licensed for use in Linux or Mac OS?

I haven't had a Windows machine in over 20 years and feel pretty silly for buying one just to run Quickload.

Boolit Master
    According to their website, no. Only Windows

https://www.neconos.com/item/QuickLO...oftware-V3.9-3

But, it will probably run under WINE in Linux. I'd ask them before paying and downloading.

PS from their FAQ
    Q: I have a MAC – will QuickLOAD work on a MAC?

A: If you use an emulator or a program to allow Windows programs to run on MAC i.e. “Parallels” , “Virtual PC”, “Crossover” ,”WineBottler” or other program it may work. NOTE- MAY work, it also may not. Some MACs may already have an emulator as part of the software package- look and see. Do some research, ask us (qload.rjd@gmail.com). We may have an answer as things are always changing.
    There are no guarantees that QuickLOAD/QuickTARGET will run with any emulator or conversion software as there is zero support for doing such – you do so at your own risk.

Boolit Master

Same problem I had with QuickBooks. I ended up running 2 separate PC towers; one running Linux Mint, the other Win10.

The Win10 tower is used only for QuickBooks, nothing else.

Boolit Buddy
    If you are familiar with VirtualBox, Microsoft provides free, legal VMs that will run on that platform. They expire after 90 days, so you have to re-install every 3 months, which can be kind of a pain. I've only ever used it for testing how sites I have built behave with Windows / IE. My usage pattern means I install, do what needs done, and then forget about it until I need to repeat the whole process from the beginning many months later.

Personally, the Windows-only nature of Quickload is the only reason why I haven't bought in. I would think they could do very well putting it online and charging a subscription fee.

Boolit Master
    Before getting obsessive about QuickLoad (which I've had for years), remember the program is predictive, not necessarily the result of actual pressure data from a ballistics lab. The newer version seems better than the first version I had, at least the predicted muzzle velocity is very close to my chronograph measurements. I have learned (after reading about it in a magazine article) that loads with similar muzzle pressure produce similar grouping. There is not an abundance of cast bullet data, although some of the bigger bullet mold makers are listed in the bullet choice menu. Believe me, not all their designs are in the choices. With the abundance of load data from powder makers available on the internet unless you are wildcatting, QuickLoad isn't as needed as before. Will I quit using it or give it up? NO!

Boolit Grand Master

Quickload for Linux

It will run in Wine. But it may not just run out of the box and you will have to adjust settings.

Quote Originally Posted by joebaja View Post
    I would think they could do very well putting it online and charging a subscription fee.
    No, software as a service needs to go away all together. I want to pay once and then it’s mine. If I don’t want to upgrade that’s on me. W/ software as a service they inevitably force you to upgrade which then has the potential for broken things.

They would be better off offering it for download instead of physical copy only. Especially w/ almost everyone ditching optical drives.

The usefulness of the program has been diminishing w/ every new powder that’s not added to it. And a lot of them will never be added.

Personally, the Windows-only nature of Quickload is the only reason why I haven't bought in. I would think they could do very well putting it online and charging a subscription fee.
    I agree. There is absolutely no reason why the program could not be browser-based and cross platform. It's obviously a lightweight program in terms of use of system resources.

I would totally pay a reasonabe subscription fee for it and this way it would get updated with new powders and they'd have a more steady revenue stream.

Dragon, with things like quickload you WANT the updates. It is a data-based program. You want all the data you can get.

The program certainly has its limitation, but for someone doing something off the loads books it's the bomb. For example, I'd really like to know how much Herco could be put in a 44 Special case up to 25kPSI with a Lyman 429421. I have looked all over for this data can can't find it. Either get magnum loads (that often start at a pressure above that) or 44 special loads that never get to 15kPSI.

I used to think that personal pressure testing equipment is the way to go, but after reading what is involved I am pretty sure it requires simply too much from even the above average person to get good data.

I also think the $150 price for Quickload is absolutely silly considering that it doesn't have powders like 300MP that have been around for a decade now.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by curioushooter View Post
    Dragon, with things like quickload you WANT the updates. It is a data-based program. You want all the data you can get.
    The updates are worthless if they don’t contain powders that you use. Especially when you consider the cost of the physical disc plus shipping which is about half the price of the disc. The long QL thread has a list of what powders are in each version. I know I’ve posted a few of the lists.

Software as a service is a bad idea. Especially in the case of QL where you aren’t using it every day. And they aren’t constantly updating it. So you’d have to constantly pay to use it sporadically. Like I said in my other post. There’s a long list of powders that will never be included. The updates are getting worse each time.

Vendor Sponsor

QuickLoad will run happily in any flavor of Linux that you can install Wine into. No virtualbox, no separate windoze machine needed, it works great. End of discussion!!!!!!

There is a font missing that QL looks for at install. You can stop and switch to any of the other fonts in Linux and install will proceed normally. You can also install wine fonts in your linux before you run the QL installer and it will not stumble on install because it will see the font it needs.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Really, Doug? I've used wine before in mac os. I will look into it. Thanks!

After looking into it...
    "Wine can only launch software within a Linux x86 environment"

I have ARM chip, so it's going to need an emulator.

Boolit Grand Master

I wanted to correct myself from a previous post. The update costs $15.95. Shipping cost me $13.60 for USPS Priority Mail. Apparently they are shipping a single CD w/ a jewel case in a medium flat rate box. Such a great deal for a file that could easily be downloaded like every current software program.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    I wanted to correct myself from a previous post. The update costs $15.95. Shipping cost me $13.60 for USPS Priority Mail. Apparently they are shipping a single CD w/ a jewel case in a medium flat rate box. Such a great deal for a file that could easily be downloaded like every current software program.
    Why can't they use $3 Media Mail which is made exclusively for jewel cases? JS....
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Grand Master

Last update they shipped it in a small flat rate box. Don’t know why they don’t use their own mailer and put priority stamps on it for tracking. I shipped thousands of CDs, when I was collecting live concerts, all over the world using first class postage. Worked just fine and was cheap. $13+ is beyond ridiculous.

Boolit Buddy
    I was wondering about Quickload myself within the last couple of days. I have the installation disk which I had installed on a previous computer which is now long gone.
    I was out of reloading for a while and didn't miss having the program. More recently I have more free time and able to get back to reloading and wanted to install Quickload on my new laptop- which has no CD drive.

I tried to install Quickload on my new laptop by copying the CD onto a USB stick using another computer. Then I plugged the USB stick into my new laptop and went to install.
    It aborts right away saying the CD needs to be installed. So looks like installing Quickload on a new computer without a CD drive is a no go.

Read Quickload FAQ on the Necos website. According to Necos, Quickload, which is imported from Germany, is subject to ITAR and needs to be sold on a physical disk that they can control the delivery of versus being made available for download.
    I see CD drives as increasingly less popular on new computers, so hopefully Necos will figure out a way to sell it on a USB drive or something.
    Is anyone stuck in a similar fix where you can't install the CD only software on a newer CD-less computer? Any thoughts on a workaround?

Boolit Grand Master

Buy a $25 external DVD drive. I know I’m the odd man but I still use them often to rip physical media to put on my home server.

I wasn’t aware of the ITAR restrictions so that part makes sense. Their site needs to be updated so I don’t bother poking around like I do on most sites.

Boolit Buddy
    That's a very plausible solution Dragon.
    Thanks for the idea.

Boolit Master
    Those who are complaining about the Quickbook software need to remember it's from Germany, not the US. Windows is more dominating than Apple for business in Europe than here.

This is 2020, not 1999. There is no good excuse why something like QL couldn't be web-based and cross platform. Or why it couldn't be ported to any OS. The graphics on NECOs website look like something I cooked up in 6th grade. I can't believe somone hasn't come up with an alternative by now. My guess is the market is just too small.

Boolit Grand Master

Porting it requires time, money and a programmer. There’s no market for it. Especially for Linux. Windows still has close to 90% market share. Apple has around 15%. And Linux around 2%. We aren’t talking about enterprise solutions where Linux is rightfully king.

Vendor Sponsor

It doesn't need ported, it runs fine in wine. Every flavor of linux I have tried it on was a success.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast