WidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad DataReloading Everything
Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody try this "de-leading" solvent?

Boolit Master

Anybody try this "de-leading" solvent?

I was told to try this solvent on my Garand, that has lead fouling that Chore boy can't get out. Does anybody have experience with it? If so, please share! Thanks-
    https://sharpshootr.com/no-lead/
    I shoot so that I can handload.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Never heard of of the product. Would be inserting to hear if it works
    Regards
    John

Boolit Grand Master
    Never heartd of it either, but would like to know how it works. They did mention that you have to wipe to off blueing so I figure it will damage blueing if yo miss a spot.

Boolit Master

I've used that product. I prefer this one. https://shooters-choice.com/4oz-lead-remover/

Also Boretech Eliminator is a good choice.

All that being said....a 50/50 mix of hydrogen peroxide and vinegar is my first choice for removing stubborn leading.

If I could get my hands on a quart of mercury that would be my first choice. But the price of mercury is crazy now.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master
    You got a msds for that stuff. I did a lite search but didn't find any joy.

An old timer told me to run some J words through it to get rid of the lead. The lead is softer than the copper.

Banned

I've never used the product but I live about 90 miles from where Graf & Sons is located and deal with them face to face very often. I will say that the people at Graf & Sons know what they are talking about. They have never steered me wrong.

Boolit Master
    Yeah, I've got a bottle of it. It'll turn lead fouling white and you can see exactly where it is. I'll apply it with stong qtips and keep rubbing the fouling and thats about all it takes. I use quite a bit of SharpShooter products and they work about as well as BoreTech.

All of my revolvers are SS so bluing isn't an issue (whether it reacts to bluing or not). My revolvers don't lead much but one in particular liked to put some lead on the forcing cone area on the cylinder frame. It would remove that lead pretty easily.

I don't know whats in it, but it doesn't have a stong smell. I've used the Shoorer Choice lead remover too over the years and I believe the SharpShooter product works faster and you can see where the lead is after the application.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by lawdog941 View Post
    An old timer told me to run some J words through it to get rid of the lead. The lead is softer than the copper.
    Some consider this a no-no and indicate it can actually cause more harm.

Boolit Master

Alot of rimfire BR shooters swear by it. Was go on a pick some up but they (LGS) no longer carry it. I picked up the Shooter's Choice but have only used it 4 times.

It works. Directions say it works better on subsiquent cleanings as it conditions the bore. I find that this is true in my limited use. Have seen no adverse effects on blued or SS guns swaking the Bore and allowing to work for 30 to an hour. First time though on one required three applications and some scrubbing. Been good since the first cleaning, one and done.

Banned

been doing it for 50 years and if it causes harm Id like to see proof.
    Quote Originally Posted by nawagner View Post
    Some consider this a no-no and indicate it can actually cause more harm.

Banned

I've used it.......works for me!

The best de-leading formula ever, is the one I learned from you folks..... It's as follows;
    100% proper fit, with a sprinkling of powder coat. Baked to perfection.

Boolit Grand Master

FWIW; Regarding a post above about peroxide and vinegar; If you choose to use this concoction be very careful. I have a Dan Wesson 44H that was very accurate that I tried the peroxide/vinegar in it's barrel. Yep it got the lead out (turning the lead into lead acetate?) but it should be used for very short time of contact with the barrel. It does etch the bore if left in too long (more than a few minutes) and it did partially remove some bluing. I swabbed the barrel getting a lot of the mix in the barrel, sat the gun down and got involved in another task. Went in and had dinner and when I returned to the gun, maybe two-four hours later I found the barrel was etched, very slightly pitted. Yep my fault for letting it sit, but in my shooting career this is the only solution that I found for "cleaning" that actually will damage a gun. The "miracle" lead remover is still elbow grease with proper components...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Mold
    I believe lead acetate is poisonous and can be absorbed through your skin! Be very careful. This is from the MSDS: POISON! DANGER! MAY BE FATAL IF SWALLOWED, INHALED OR ABSORBED THROUGH SKIN. SUSPECT CANCER HAZARD. MAY CAUSE CANCER. Risk of cancer depends on level and duration of exposure. CAUSES IRRITATION TO SKIN, EYES AND RESPIRATORY TRACT. NEUROTOXIN. AFFECTS THE GUM TISSUE, CENTRAL NERVOUS SYSTEM, KIDNEYS, BLOOD AND REPRODUCTIVE SYSTEM.

I use Lucas Automatic Transmission fluid. A quart lasts a loong time. I'm satisfied.

jd

Boolit Grand Master

Wow, I've never found had fouling so bad that a soak in thin oil like Kroil, Hoppe's #9, etc. and a chore boy wrapped brush couldn't solve. When I wrap my brush, I get quite a bit on there. Enough to really dig in. If you have got the bulk of the leading removed, I would not hesitate to fire a handful of jacketed rounds.

Banned

yup the trick to it is to use your brain. If your shooting a gun you know leads up fire a jacketed bullet every 10 or 20 rounds to keep it clean. You don't wait till the rifling is full and its dripping out the end of the barrel. Bottom line is if a gun leads so much that shooting an occasional jacketed bullet doesn't clean it out theres something drastically wrong with it and im either going to fix it or more likely send it down the road.
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    Wow, I've never found had fouling so bad that a soak in thin oil like Kroil, Hoppe's #9, etc. and a chore boy wrapped brush couldn't solve. When I wrap my brush, I get quite a bit on there. Enough to really dig in. If you have got the bulk of the leading removed, I would not hesitate to fire a handful of jacketed rounds.

Boolit Master
    If your shooting a gun you know leads up fire a jacketed bullet every 10 or 20 rounds to keep it clean.

Putting a J word through a lead fouled bore can lead to some serious pressure issues.
    I would say the OP should look at the bullet diameter which may be undersized and/or the lube.

ukrifleman

Boolit Master
    Kroil is your friend, quick and easy. I believe that the toxicity is low too. I thought the old Foul out solution of lead acetate was dangerous and stopped using it.

For handguns, you can also firebrush it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast