Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad DataInline Fabrication
WidenersRepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision

Thread: Heavy 375 h&h loads.

Boolit Buddy

Heavy 375 h&h loads.

I'd like to cast for my#1 in 375 h&h. With the 12" twist I expect accuracy to drop off somewhere between 2000 and 2400 fps. I'm really trying to get jacketed performance out of cast in this cartridge not reduced loads. Jacketed in this rifle I shoot 270s at 2800 so if I can only get 2000 with 270 cast then it's not close enough for me. Also the lower bc of those lighter 375 cast bullets has them losing velocity pretty quick. A 350 gr bullet would be about 21-2300 jacketed so it should be easily equaled with a cast load. However in all my books the only 350gr loads I can find are for the barnes ttsx which is extremely long and I feel the data they have wouldn't be safe to use with a 350 cast. The mold manufacturer didn't have any data for a bullet that heavy. Does anyone on here have any heavy data? How good does quick load work. I've been thinking about getting it but I'd also need to get a computer too. Oh the mold I want is the accurate 38-345b. He recommended it to me because I was wanted heavy and it should be a good match for my throat dimensions.
    I'm bigger than you, I'm higher on the food chain! Get in my belly!

Boolit Master
    the heaviest cast boolit I have used in the .375 is lymans 378674 which is a plain base lube groove semi - spitzer. It drops at about 340 grains and I shoot it paper patched with a case full of wc 860 with 5 gr 4227 over the primer. About 2200 FPS Mv and bumps The shoulder pretty good.
    Decreed by our Creator: The man who has been made able to believe and understand that Jesus Christ has been sent into this world by the Father has been born of the Spirit of God. This man shall never experience spiritual death. He will live forever!

Boolit Buddy
    What are you sizing the bullet down to and patching it up to? What were your bore and groove diameters?

Boolit Master
    .366/.377” near as I can tell on bore/ groove. I am sizing to .369 and patching to .377 - . 378”
    Decreed by our Creator: The man who has been made able to believe and understand that Jesus Christ has been sent into this world by the Father has been born of the Spirit of God. This man shall never experience spiritual death. He will live forever!

I shot 270gr in Sako Finbear for moose & black bear. I liked the rifle so much I started loading the 235gr Speer Semi-Spitzer. The only mold I had was 200gr 38/55 FP.plain base. I couldn’t get enough velocity to suit me so stuck with 235speer. I kilt several deer with the 235s. All my loads were IMR-4350.

Boolit Master
    Would think if you use straight linotype you should be able to go North of 2000 pretty easy. Maybe a gas checked boolit. Not like your going to shoot hundreds of them anyway. Good luck!

Boolit Grand Master

I shoot a lot of 377449s cast of COWW + 2% tin WQ'd at 2150 fps (general practice load) and 2350 fps (heavier recoiling practice load) though either would really thump deer/elk/bear out to 250 yards. Have considered a heavier Accurate 38-315G (designed for the 375 H&H) but haven't been shooting the M70 that much the last few years.....
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

With 12" twist, #375296 (wheel weights) works fine at >2100FPS.

Boolit Buddy
    Did you try that bullet without paper patching it?

Boolit Master
    I shoot the NOE 378-270-FN out of water dropped 1/2 COWW 1/2 soft lead sized to .378” out of my peep sighted Whitworth rifle.

https://noebulletmolds.com/site/shop...-cavity-gc-brp

I use Varget loaded a couple grains below max for 300gr J bullets and the point of impact has to be adjusted from that zero but you can’t tell a difference recoilwise.

Boolit Grand Master
    I use both a 310gr @2100 or the NOE 278 (haven't chrono'd it yet) with 4759 with a mag primer. Same powder charge, so the 278 is probably on the order of 2200fps, maybe a bit more.

Boolit Buddy
    I wanted one of those now 278s but they've been out of stock for a while now. If their 376-329 was bigger Diameter I'd get that. But my barrel slugs at .3765