Inline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad DataTitan Reloading
Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's wrong with my PC process?

Boolit Buddy
    All good suggestions...I really appreciate them.

It was a very humid day when I PC'd but the boolits looked so evenly coated that I thought "what's the big deal about humidity"? I will try to shake off more of the PC before baking next time. .358" are the next one's to be shot and I'll do it over 4.2 - 4.5 grains of Unique. 4.0 grains Unique chrono'd 978 fps.

In my early testing I found accuracy was poor at lighter powder loadings and it seemed the faster I pushed them, the better they shot. But after reading some of your comments, alloy hardness and proper sizing are more important. Could be my .357"s (.001" over) will shoot better than what I've experienced with the proper alloy

The next boolits I cast will be COWW with some Sn and nothing else. I was adding PB to stretch my COWW supply but that may not have been the best thing to do. Will try quenching in ice water with the 50/50 alloy. I keep tubs of ice in my spare freezer for curing wild game.

I slugged the barrel again after a thorough cleaning and came up with slightly different numbers but probably not enough to make a difference.

Boolit Master
    do you have an oversized expander? Mine was sizing my boolits down so accuracy sucked. I have a larger expander now and they shoot as good or better then j's.

Banned
    Humidity isn't that big a factor! my shooting buddy and I have both PC'd in the garage with the door open while it was raining outside.

The 2 biggest problems/causes of failure with loading cast in 9MM are OVER-CRIMPING & downsizing the boolit when seating.
    The 9MM has a tapered case.

Crimping, I use the Lee FCD and only crimp to where the boolit won't move when the cartridge is pushed against a hard object.

For seating I like the NOE neck sizing dies so much I talked with a member ob CB who made a Lee powder through die with the NOE profile of several different diameters. I've had good luck expanding the brass using the same diameter expanding plug as the boolit diameter (brass springs back .001 after expanding and that.
    .001 does the job holding the boolit in place!

A 38spcl/357mag expander plug should work also

I used to expand the neck with the NOE neck sizing die the use the Lee powder through setup to charge the case.

Ues a kinetic boolit puller and make sure you're not downsizing the boolit in either of these operations.

this will go a long way toward tightening up your groups and preventing leading/tumbling
    Last edited by Conditor22; 08-03-2020 at 02:28 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Conditor22 View Post
    Humidity isn't that big a factor! my shooting buddy and I have both PC'd in the garage with the door open while it was raining outside.
    AMEN! I was WAS DOING THAT YESTERDAY!!!
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12