RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackboxReloading Everything
Wideners Inline Fabrication

Thread: Memorial Day tradition

Boolit Master

Memorial Day tradition

Heading to the range in an hour or so. My shooting is pretty eclectic. Rifle, pistol, clay sports, I do them all. 1911s, .22 pistols, my beloved S&Ws, scoped rifles, iron sighted rifles, sporters, etc You never know what I'll pack up for playtime.

But I have a tradition for Memorial Day, 4th of July, and Veteran's day. Without fail, an 03 Springfield, a Garand, and an M1 carbine are the three I'll shoot today. There will be a mix of cast boolits and J words. The elderly statesman of my collection, the 03, positively thrives on cast. It has never seen a jacketed bullet since I've owned it. The carbine does well too, as does the Garand, but sometimes they just want a little copper too.

Can't wait!!

Boolit Master

Memorial Day tradition

That is an awesome tradition. Might have to try that myself sometime (minus the Garand).

Happy Memorial Day everyone.

Boolit Master
    The VFW guys are giving out those buddy poppies and I always donate for some. They wind up on the rear view and in my boonie hat. A friend in Spokane has a nice 03 he got before 68 and has told me I can have it. He used to elk hunt with it. I was on my motorcycle last time I was through there and declined to take it. Like your M Day tradition. We are camping like usual.

Boolit Master

Well I had a great time!

The trifecta represented us well

I'm especially please my eyes cooperated today, those tiny sights on the 03 give me good days and bad days.

Here's the 03 target at 100 yds. 20 rds, 16 gr 2400 and a HM2 155 (our GB clone of the Lee boolit). As usual, ignore the pasted holes, they were from a previous outing. I'm frugal.

Did as well with the carbine at 50 yds. Shot the Garand at 100, not my best day, but fun!

Boolit Master

I try to go with my brother, 'old school.' First time I said that he asked 'what?' Springfield M1As and 1911 45acp. There is just something about large brass ringing as it hits the ground. He complained about the cost of 308 but stopped his griping when I pulled out the cast rounds. I mixed up PC to simulate FMJ and I have fooled several friends. 2450 fps with a 150 grain spitzer is devastating on tin cans, and I hate tin cans. Maybe I'll get my brother out today to kill some cans!

I forgot, he has an M1 Carbine and I have plenty of cast loaded up for that!
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Boolit Buddy
    Like your post, Pasted Holes! Do it all the time!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie17 View Post
    Like your post, Pasted Holes! Do it all the time!
    Same here except I am too frugal to buy target pasters. I use black electrical tape instead...

Boolit Master
    What a great combination of rifles for today , great idea.

Boolit Master

For the frugal...... MyTargets.com has an assortment of patterns you can print off. I save pages out of our insurance correspondence and print my targets on the back. Ink is not free though... hmmmm! I have been wanting to get out with my military rifles but keep getting busy with other stuff. Springfield 1886, M17 Enfield, mutt 1 garand, and century arms international ar15 . and the RIA 1911 -A1. the first two are original military, The rest are put togethers and copies.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Pipefitter View Post
    Same here except I am too frugal to buy target pasters. I use black electrical tape instead...
    Actually, I paste my 50 foot pistol targets from the .22 rimfire league with masking tape. Its color matches the tan, and I color the ones in the black with black Sharpie. Those small .22 holes are small enough that its no big deal. Hopefully I'm pasting more black than tan!!