MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading EverythingWideners
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Load DataLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wild Bull hunting.

We use blinding lights on them, wading in till we get close enough to grab it after the shot. My nephew is quick enough to catch them in his hands. He gives them to me and I dispatch them while holding on to them. They are tenacious of life and they can certainly still jump when they are dead. I used CB Longs this time for the low report but next time I will go back to my favorite 22 short hollow points.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    We use blinding lights on them, wading in till we get close enough to grab it after the shot. My nephew is quick enough to catch them in his hands. He gives them to me and I dispatch them while holding on to them. They are tenacious of life and they can certainly still jump when they are dead. I used CB Longs this time for the low report but next time I will go back to my favorite 22 short hollow points.

I wonder why the heck CB's and Shorts are more expensive than Long Rifle?
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    I wonder why the heck CB's and Shorts are more expensive than Long Rifle?
    Lower demand . Same with longs and magnums .
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Master

When in MO, just don't gig in in the neighborhood lagoons, lol.

Boolit Master

Do they still make .22 Longs ? Other then CB's ?

Used to gig them at night, Colorado River in the 1960's.
    Dad would clean them and fry 'em up.
    Mom wouldn't touch them.

Good fun and good eating. Good Days.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    Man I love frog legs!! We used to light and gig them from a Jon boat on the washer ponds. I shot them with a variety of 22s on our farm ponds in the daytime. Had to hit them just right or they would jump and get away. One pond was about 50 feet below the yard, elevation wise. About 75 to 100 yards horizontal. There were huge frogs but they stayed out in the moss and there was so much you spoked them wading. Well, I was sitting at the fence with a nice Ruger NO1B in 243 waiting for my buddy to go ground hog hunting. Got to thinking, you know how that goes. Well, an 85 gr Sierra placed just under the frogs eyes, in the water. Big splash and the frog emerged from the splash still gaining altitude, landed 20 feet back in the pasture and never moved! Shot 6 for 6 and not a single one had a mark on him, sure did eat good too!
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by rking22 View Post
    Man I love frog legs!! We used to light and gig them from a Jon boat on the washer ponds. I shot them with a variety of 22s on our farm ponds in the daytime. Had to hit them just right or they would jump and get away. One pond was about 50 feet below the yard, elevation wise. About 75 to 100 yards horizontal. There were huge frogs but they stayed out in the moss and there was so much you spoked them wading. Well, I was sitting at the fence with a nice Ruger NO1B in 243 waiting for my buddy to go ground hog hunting. Got to thinking, you know how that goes. Well, an 85 gr Sierra placed just under the frogs eyes, in the water. Big splash and the frog emerged from the splash still gaining altitude, landed 20 feet back in the pasture and never moved! Shot 6 for 6 and not a single one had a mark on him, sure did eat good too!
    Did much the same with a Ruger Super Blackhawk. Full 44Mag loads, walk edge of ponds, shoot just in front of frog, duck and cover from falling water. Pick up frog from bank.
    CF
    Vote Independent, vote Republican, vote Democratic, just don’t vote Incumbent!
    I believe in the Bible, Freedom, the Constitution, the Bill of Rights and personal responsibility. My government believes I am narrow minded, intolerant and dangerous.

Banned

Frog legs are OK, but here, anything that eats mosquitoes enjoys a special protected status by me. Wife used to question it when I would stop the lawn mower and work to catch one of the toad we'd have in the yard and shuttle it to a safe space. One of those things consumes a third of its body weight in insects every day, I'm told.

I'll stick to chicken.

Boolit Grand Master

I ave smoked them for 4-5 hours around 200-225* with mestique chips the last hour or so I coated them in barbecue sauce. They were really good.

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    One of those things consumes a third of its body weight in insects every day, I'm told.
    We've got plenty of toads here.
    Judging by the size of the poo logs they leave on the patio every morning-- I'd say that is true.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Try using a Cold Steel .625 blowgun! That will up the fun factor!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by fiberoptik View Post
    Try using a Cold Steel .625 blowgun! That will up the fun factor!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Tim Wells style!!

An unwelcome guest got away from the frog/turtle roost because Wife didn't want to blow 2yr old grandson's eardrums out with her 20 gauge. Hard to tell with the duck weed coating- but probably a fish moccasin.

Update- got it yesterday and two of its smaller kin this morning thanks to Topper Jr.
    Dont be messing with my frog crop, belly crawlers!
    Last edited by Texas by God; 05-31-2020 at 12:25 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12