Lee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWideners
Load Data Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A good bullet for a .50 T/C Renegade.

Long time ago this was my fifty mold.
    Came across a left handed fifty barrel for the TC New Englander so reckon I might give that boolit a try in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Good Cheer View Post
    Long time ago this was my fifty mold.
    Came across a left handed fifty barrel for the TC New Englander so reckon I might give that boolit a try in it.
    Looks hollow base. Any before pics. Looks like an interesting projectile.

That was put together for a 21" carbine length fast twist Green Mountain drop-in Renegade barrel. It started out as a Lyman #445599 minie mold, remachined to make it smooth sided and given an adjustable length plug. The small hollow was intended to be a place to tuck in the tail on the paper patch, but as things ended up it might still be assisting in expansion. Been threatening to try it out in a 48" twist Deerhunter and also a Renegade factory barrel (with lotsa FFFg), but want to try the New Englander for sure. Would like to try out increasing the size of the hollow but there's too many things on my plate as it is.

Last edited by Good Cheer; 07-25-2020 at 07:18 AM.

Boolit Master
    Don't own a 50 cal. But I do own other cals larger & smaller than the 50.
    Allot 50 cal shooters as read like the Lee REAL that is suitable for home casters.
    I on the other hand am a old school caster ~ Rd Ball & occasionally the T/c Maxi.
    Good luck with you're endeavor sir.

I have a pair of TC Hawkins, 45 & 50. I got both in late 60s. I shot the 50 a good bit at one time, haven’t shot them in 30yrs. At this time round balls were the boolits. Rifle shot very well and only mod I made was to put good sights on it. A few years later Maxi Balls came out. It took 2 men and a boy to get maxi down the bore. I slugged barrel and sent to TC. They offered to replace barrel and said it was at bottom of their tolerance scale. I declined because it shoots balls so well. I have tried other bullets always went back to ball/ patch.

Boolit Mold
    I know this is an older post, but I have two T/C Hawkens with the same barrel as the Renegade. I shoot mostly PRB (took a deer with it this past winter) but also cast Maxi Balls if I want something a bit heavier. If you're still looking for the right fit, I can send you a handful of each so you can give them a try and see if they work for you.

Boolit Master
    My go to load for the 50 Renagade was 65 gr fffg and a TC MaxiHunter (old style) conical. Very accurate without any wads or cards. Alas, I am out of those boolits as the TC MaxiHunter mold was lost in a move. Maybe someday I'll find another to replace it with. This was a great deer killing combination.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12