Load DataTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
WidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2Lee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: .357 Herret vs .357 Maximum?

Boolit Master
    Assassin, I have read that about the Ackley rounds for years, has anyone actually tested and put a verifiable number to it?
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    Reason I ask, is that it just seems to invite cas stretch at the web transition leading to case head separation. Case body holds tire but the web cannot expand so it presses back with the total pressure less the elastic limit for that brass, an unknown and variable value. Seems walking a tite rope. The 375 Winchester factory are more than I would put in my Contenders.
    Last edited by rking22; 05-26-2020 at 08:41 PM.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master

FWIW, I have no input on the max vs Herrett rounds except that I have a 10" 357 Herrett Contender barrel that I bought in 1976 and I love the darn thing! It was the first barrel I bought for my Contender that came with a 44 mag/shot barrel with the external choke (I still have a few of those blue plastic 44 shot cartridges) but I sold the 44 and kept the Herrett. It was and still is a tack driver, case forming is simple and IMO enjoyable and besides it's different.
    Statistics show that criminals commit fewer crimes after they have been shot

Boolit Master
    I feel the same Oldred, only mine is 14 inch. My first barrel was an octagon 44mag, almost turned me off the whole Contender thing! Those lil grips on the 76 vintage guns did not feel good with 240 gr loads!
    I still have mine, serial 4457*, still hunt with it too.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by rking22 View Post
    Assassin, I have read that about the Ackley rounds for years, has anyone actually tested and put a verifiable number to it?
    https://gundigest.com/gear-ammo/ammu...th-bolt-thrust
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks for post the above. Lots of great info. The area I am unclear about is cases like the 375 Win and the 45/70 stretching Contender frames. They are almost straight yet they can be hard on Contender frames. In your test the 375 Win. exited the breech end of the barrel at over 1,500 fps. The 375 Win only has .020" taper. The 30-30 AI has .0215. https://loaddata.com/Cartridge/30-30...kley-Data/6481
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 05-27-2020 at 12:22 AM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Very interesting reading, thanks to both you, Assissin and M-tecs for the link. I had no idea the brass was capable of the pressures indicated! I always wondered at the 300 Savage chambering in the Contender, now I know. There my be a 30-30 AI in my future, again thanks for the excellent information, quantitive enough. As an aside, on the gun digest link, there is a note that 4895 gave a second, and larger,pressure spike just before the bullet exited the barrel. Kinda spooky as I like 4895 in the 3030.

Boolit Master

My vote goes to the 357max. I own both. Just like the 173gr. 357429 Hp for my revolvers and it's holding it own in my TC contenders with 4 different barrels. I'm shooting the max in two rifles,I hate to mess with the brass for the 357 Herrett.but the each to their own. Good luck with your new barrels
    Last edited by SSGOldfart; 05-26-2020 at 11:52 PM. Reason: Fat fingers small keyboard
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Master
    That’s good to hear, seemed somewhat surprising considering how low the muzzle pressure is vs peak pressures. Perhaps a failing transducer, or overly dramatic editor.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for all the information. Right now, I am leaning towards getting rid of the Herrett, and just sticking with the Max simply for ease of reloading. I never intended on hot rodding either cartridge, just wanted a decent hunting load to play around with.

Boolit Buddy
    Another reason some guys like the 357 Maximum, especially if they have kids, is that you can shoot "4" different cartridges from the same gun -

38 special

357 magnum

360 Dan Wesson

357 Maximum

Accuracy wise, some guns with the shorter cartridges are not super accurate because of the extreme amount of bullet jump required before the bullets contact the rifling. Every once in a while though, I hear from someone that will get great accuracy from the shorter cartridges, so nothing is engraved in stone, as all guns and chambers are different.

One little 7 year old boy I know shoots 100 rounds of 38 special a week at tin cans because it has no recoil, and a very low noise level. Then dad scrubs the ring out of the chamber, and shoots his full power deer and bear hunting loads, all from the same gun.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ASSASSIN View Post
    Another reason some guys like the 357 Maximum, especially if they have kids, is that you can shoot "4" different cartridges from the same gun -

38 special

357 magnum

360 Dan Wesson

357 Maximum

Accuracy wise, some guns with the shorter cartridges are not super accurate because of the extreme amount of bullet jump required before the bullets contact the rifling. Every once in a while though, I hear from someone that will get great accuracy from the shorter cartridges, so nothing is engraved in stone, as all guns and chambers are different.

One little 7 year old boy I know shoots 100 rounds of 38 special a week at tin cans because it has no recoil, and a very low noise level. Then dad scrubs the ring out of the chamber, and shoots his full power deer and bear hunting loads, all from the same gun.
    So far I haven't been fortunate enough to find an accurate "shorter"load in any of my max guns. They're all cut with long throats. They shot "OK" at best, but "OK" enough to satisfy me. One day a couple of years ago I had an epiphany.....just use the longer case and load it down quite a bit. It just isn't that difficult to produce reduced loads in this case and get some really accurate, reduced power loads that no one minds shooting (not that I think it has much recoil to begin with, but I'm not seven years old either). There are a number of readily available powders well suited for the purpose. It's nice not to have to keep a lot of different cases around to achieve that purpose.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by NSB View Post
    So far I haven't been fortunate enough to find an accurate "shorter"load in any of my max guns. They're all cut with long throats. They shot "OK" at best, but "OK" enough to satisfy me. One day a couple of years ago I had an epiphany.....just use the longer case and load it down quite a bit. It just isn't that difficult to produce reduced loads in this case and get some really accurate, reduced power loads that no one minds shooting (not that I think it has much recoil to begin with, but I'm not seven years old either). There are a number of readily available powders well suited for the purpose. It's nice not to have to keep a lot of different cases around to achieve that purpose.
    That's when a dose of Trail Boss comes in handy!

Boolit Buddy
    Thought I would give a quick update.

I ended up trading off the .357 Herrett barrel for the same in .35 Remington. I didn't mind the idea of forming brass, but liked the fact that factory brass was readily available for the .35. I still have a .357 Maximum barrel, but also added Super 14 7-30 Waters and 30-30 barrels as well...now I need to find a couple pistol scopes, and start trying out a few loads!

Boolit Grand Master

I own both and although I competed in Sillywett with the Maxi for years I like the Herrett for hunting...Just because.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

You will love the 7-30 , mine likes the NOE 150 Hunter .

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Jesus said ( Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest ) Matt. 11:28

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123