Titan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Tapered nose pour paper patch mould question.

Boolit Bub

Tapered nose pour paper patch mould question.

I have a question about the use of a tapered, paper patch bullet mould. I'm looking at two essentially identical moulds, save one is tapered, the other not. Advantages? Disadvantages? The only patched moulds I've used has been a Tom Ballard mould for the .44 calibre stuff, specifically for my .444's. Usually cast 280's or 300's out of it (nose pour adjustable also). This is for .50 calibre stuff, to fit my 50-90 Shiloh, 50-70 Springfields, and 50-70 NYS Rolley. Looking for pro's and con's, and any knowledge to be gained.
    Thanks in advance, fellow patchers!

Boolit Master
    Tapered is meant for breech seating the bullet, when cast soft it will bump up to fit bore somewhat, although I have never breech seated with black powder afraid that BP fouling would rip patch.

Boolit Master
    A number of us are using Dual DIameter Paper Patched bullets very successful.
    Not Breach seating.
    These DD PP bullets are designed such that the base band diameter is set for patching to fit
    your fire formed case mouth. The body diameter is set for patching to fit the bore diameter.
    YOu can seat the bullets out such that the patch to bore body slides up on to the lands
    for great concentricity ("almost like breech seating") while the base band is centered and snug
    in the case mouth. Attached is a PIC of a group shot at 100yds with my 40-65 with DDEPP bullets.
    Load is stabile and accurate to 1000yds.
    beltfed/arnie
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	371DDEPP100ydgroup1535.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	39.8 KB 
ID:	262668
    Last edited by beltfed; 05-24-2020 at 11:21 PM.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    I've used tapered nose pour from KAL, they're pretty nice to cast with. I think the trick to getting those tapered bullets to shoot really well is to have the base either at or no more than .002 under bore diameter.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

I have a couple tapered bullet moulds and one is from Tom Ballard.
    I like to shoot without fouling control and with the tapered bullets I can do this. Also my tapered bullets are made for the more or less standard chambers now used that have the base wide enough so when it's patched it is at .456" in diameter so the case does not have to be sized down much to hold the bullet. I really think that this is what a tapered bullet was designed to do like Arnies DD PP bullets he has pictured.
    A properly designed tapered bullet does not have a very pronounced taper, it has just enough that it will still chamber in a fouled throat and with the proper alloy temper(not too hard) the bullet will have the right obturation to sill the grooves and it will leave the muzzle like a bore rider or a regular parallel walled PP bullet will.
    A lot of shooters don't like the tapered bullets and say they don't shoot well. This can be true if the base is to small in diameter to make good contact with the case wall to hold it straight with out excess runout that will destroy the accuracy.

Kurt

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for the explanation guys, makes perfect sense now.