WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackbox
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Load Data Snyders Jerky

Thread: Lyman mold question

Boolit Master

Lyman mold question

Yesterday on SXS a Lyman bullet mold # 379670 was sold. I wanted to buy it but didn't now what weight it cast or anything else about for that matter. I could find no reference to it in any cast bullet handbook. Anyone know anything about it?
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Buddy

379670 Discontinued, same profile as 378674 335 gr. RN

378674 New heavy 38-55 bullet for B.P.C.S. or long range Buffalo shooting, especially in single shot rifles 38-55, .377 to .379 dia. (PB, RN, 335 - TP is 663)

375 mold descriptions for Lyman / Ideal molds

.375" is supposed to be the standard for all .38-55, .38-56, .38-70, and .38-72 rifles. As a matter of fact almost all of these rifles have a groove diameter of about .379" and as a rule, particularly for use with smokeless powder, these bullets should be sized to that diameter, being cast large enough for this purpose. The .375 Magnum rifle, however, has a groove diameter true .375", and bullets intended for use in that rifle should be sized .375". It should be noted that the .38-55 cartridge is really misnamed. Originally the cartridge would hold 55 grains of black powder, when made with very thin head case, but afterwards the case was thickened, and these cartridges have a black powder capacity of only 48 grains when a 255 grain bullet is seated to standard depth.

.375 is the correct diameter of bullets for all arms using the very popular cartridge .38-55 Marlin. This cartridge was first originated by the Marlin Fire Arms Co. and has been adopted by nearly all other makers of rifles. .375 is also correct for the following cartridges: .38-56, 38-70, .38-72, .38-90. The shape of bullets for all of these cartridges is the same as the .38-55-255 (except the .38-72, which has round point), and will interchange and seat properly with the regular tools.

http://ps-2.kev009.com/ohlandl/Cast_...criptions.html

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Valley Shooter, thank you very much. I have a 2019 Lyman catalog and the 379670 mold is not in it and it is not listed in any place else I looked. I have two rifles chambered for the 38-55 which was the reason for my question. The mold sold for $35 which I thought was cheap. Thanks again.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN