Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad Data
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWidenersRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Unique load for 138gr. Wadcutter in .357 Brass?

Boolit Buddy

Unique load for 138gr. Wadcutter in .357 Brass?

Hello,

I have found a few Bayou 138gr. BNWC bullets due to spring cleaning and I want to load them in .357 Magnum brass. Does anyone have any Unique load data or suggestions? I am looking for 1000-1100 fps range. This will be fired in a steel framed Ruger so the test platform is certainly not delicate.

Thanks

Use data for 148 grain wad cutter.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Master
    Ive been using 4.6gr Unique in 357 with 148gr wc's. Its a nice load in my Security Six. As always double check the load. Sure enjoyed breaking up ice chunks with it. Todd/3leg

Boolit Grand Master
    5.8-6.0 grains will be needed to get the velocity you need/want. Lyman's 3rd Edition Cast Bullet Handbook lists 7.9 grains at a COAL of 1.435 with their nominal 141 grain 358-495 as maximum, giving 1289 fps @ 40.300 cup.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master

My data is a Lyman 358-665 158 RNFP, Staline brass, Fed SP primer and 6.0 gr of Unique is right @ 1000-1050 ball park.
    https://www.alliantpowder.com/reload...28&bulletid=30

Running a Mihec 124 HC wadcutter with 3.0 BE in SL 357 brass and a Fed SP primer which is still alittle snappy. I really need to work this load out for a quasi 686 PPCISH DAO pistola.
    Last edited by Greg S; 05-27-2020 at 04:13 PM.

Careful folks. Sounds like the O. P. is going to load button nose wad cutters. They seat very deeply into the case. Please sir don't use any data for RNFP or SWC bullets no matter what the weight.

Boolit Buddy

It is a button nosed wadcutter. I will try 5.0 grains on a few and see how they do performance and pressure sign wise. If there are no pressure signs I may increase to 5.5 grains. At least I have a starting point. Thanks to all.

Boolit Grand Master
    The 358-495 is a 141 grain, button nose wadcutter, in fact, I suspect that this is the design that those boolits were cast from. I should have specified so when I posted. Regardless, to boost those 138 grainers to 1000 fps will take a bit more than 5.0 grains of unique. 5.8 grains is the suggested starting load for this boolit in Lyman's 47th Reloading Handbook for .357 magnums.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.