Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
RepackboxRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Wideners

Thread: WTB Ruger Security Six front sight blade

Boolit Master

WTB Ruger Security Six front sight blade

I have a Security Six 6" that the front sight blade has been broken. Any replacements (no, Numrich hasn't got anything in stock) available that aren't stupid expensive??

Thanks!!

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
    - Henry S. Haskins in “Meditations in Wall Street”

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." ...Unknown

Moderator Emeritus

You might try ringing Ruger -- (336-949-5200) -- to ascertain if they have the part. Good luck!
    geo

Boolit Master
    I doubt if Ruger has any of those parts,, since that model is LONG out of production.
    We have a member here,, Ron Lutz who most likely can help. If he doesn't post soon, let me know & I'll get in touch with him.

Boolit Master
    Don:
    Let me look at it sometime- I probably have one in my junk box.
    Loren

Boolit Master
    Loren,
    I traded it to my son, and he opened the gun rug to show the gun to his father-in-law, and it fell to the concrete. It broke the front half of the sight off, just forward of the plastic insert. I'll have him bring it back over here so that I can drift the pin out, and have the old sight to reference.

Don

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." ...Unknown

Banned
    If all else fails, you could probably make one.

Boolit Grand Master
    I am informed that the GP100 fixed sight blade will work. It may require some filing to fit and will require drilling the pin hole. Midway #318134 $4.99. It may be a little short, but it is the only game in town, except for the very costly XS and Bowen after market stuff.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    If you go this route and it is too short, I have extra rear sight blades that are already shortened. Most Ruger adjustable rear sights use the same blade.
    Loren

The GP100 front sight for fixed rear sight models is the same as the fixed sight -Six series.

Ruger won't be able to help, they don't have any parts for the Six series revolvers any more. As you found, Numrich is out of stock at this time. The GP100 pinned sight is quite a bit lower than the sight for the adjustable sight Security Six, you could use it but would have to pretty drastically alter the rear sight. Let me see what I have in my Six series parts bin.

Is your gun blue or Stainless steel?
    Ron
    USAF Ret (E-8) (1971-1997)
    NRA Benefactor

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by obssd1958 View Post
    I have a Security Six 6" that the front sight blade has been broken. Any replacements (no, Numrich hasn't got anything in stock) available that aren't stupid expensive??

Thanks!!
    Depending on how desperate you become, looks like a piece of 3/16" (or maybe 1/8") plate could be hack-sawed & hand-filed to replace what's missing, and you could make it any height you want, and reduce it until it's perfect! Won't be quick, but it'll give you something to do while you watch TV, or whatever you're passing the time with these days. I did that a few years ago to make a T-nut for the quick change tool post I was putting on my antique lathe. Took about 4 hours or so.

Boolit Master
    Xringshooter,
    It's a blued adjustable sight, 6" barrel, model.
    Another member had contacted me via PM, about the possibility that he might have the front sight off of his 4" available.
    I haven't heard anything back, but that doesn't mean he didn't send it already. I'll give it a few days, and if that doesn't turn out, let you know.

Thanks everyone!

Don

Boolit Buddy
    My Security Six has the 4 inch sight and it is a 6 inch barrel. The gun shot high because the short barrels have shorter sights and the long barrel needs a taller sight. I was never able to locate the proper sight, so I bought a spare rear sight blade and filed the notch deeper, then shortened it. I will follow this thread in case you are able to locate a source for the sight because I would love to find one also.

mnewcomb59 - it is possible that either the sight was changed at some point in time or the wrong sight was installed at the factory (it does happen)

I did some measuring on the guns in my Six series revolvers collection. The measurements were made from the top of the sight rib (bottom of the sight blade where it touches the sight rib) to the top of the sight blade.

The low back frame (150- prefix) Security Six (adjustable sights) used a sight blade that is approx 0.155" for all barrel lengths (2 3/4, 4, 6)
    The low back frame (150- prefix) Police Service Six (fixed sights) and the Speed Six (fixed sights) used a sight blade that is approx 0.148" for both barrel lengths (2 3/4, 4)

The high back frame (151- prefix and higher) Security Six (adjustable sights) used TWO different sight blade heights;
    The earlier models (151-, 152- ), all barrel lengths, were made with a taller sight rib on the barrel at the muzzle (same as the low back frame revolvers) and used a sight blade that is approx 0.155"
    The later models (153- and above), all barrel lengths, were made with a shorter sight rib on the barrel at the muzzle and used a sight blade that is approx 0.260" This was probably due to a design change of the barrel.

The high back frame (151- prefix and above) Police Service Six (fixed sights) and Speed Six (fixed sights) has pretty much the same style sight rib as the low back frame models and uses a 0.148" sight blade.

The differences in the Security Six may be due to the redesign of the barrel. The early models had a more tapered barrel than the later models but the taper (before and after) did not affect (as much) the muzzle end of the Police Service Six and Speed Six due to their shorter barrels. That said, as with all Rugers there could be anomalies throughout the serial numbers, Ruger collectors see this somewhat regularly.

For example; the Security Sixes made for the Pennsylvania State Police, had a significantly taller front sight on the guns they bought (they probably had standardized ammo that all troopers carried and the sight was made/installed to match the ammo POA/POI).

So, when looking for a front sight for a Six series revolver, you do need to know the serial number prefix to get the right sight height or the actual height of the sight blade as measured from the base of the blade to the top.
    Last edited by Xringshooter; 05-13-2020 at 11:41 AM.
    Ron
    USAF Ret (E-8) (1971-1997)
    NRA Benefactor

Boolit Master
    Thanks to everyone for your responses, help, and education!
    One of our members, wgg, sent me a replacement sight, and it fit perfectly! We're back in business!!!

Don

Boolit Bub
    I have two of those front site blades left; one plain black and one with the factory red insert. PM me your address and I'll send either one to you gratis.
    Be strong, and show yourself a man.

Boolit Master
    Andy,
    Thank you for your generosity, but wgg already sent me one, and it fit just as original!
    While I wouldn't mind having a backup, I would rather see it go to someone who needs it. Maybe someone will see it in this thread!

Thanks again!!

Don