Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2RepackboxLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWidenersLoad Data
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Went to the range today

Boolit Master

Went to the range today

The only public range (county) never reliable before the virus has been totally closed for two months now. With the help of some forum members down in the airgun section I opened my own range today. It's 27 yards but I can weedwack a few more. The Bench is my old Beartracker that melted in the fire but wouldn't quit running. It's also transportation to and from the range. A piece if 1 1/8 subfloor is bungied to the rack for a shooting platform covered by a recycled plastic blanket. The rifle is a RWS 48 from Midway that I've not put 100 rounds through yet. It's rated at 900 fps and pellets go right through 3/4 plywood. I was shooting 14g pellets and tried 16g which seem more accurate. There weren't many different pellets available but I got some of each of the 4 available. There is no load development, only one power level so it's finding the right boolit. I shot until the mosquitoes drove me in. DEET next time. I musta blown through $2 worth of ammo today. LOL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 48range2.jpg   48range1.jpg   48range3.jpg  
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master

Welcome back to a little fun!
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Grand Master
    Wish we could do that here.
    We have no place to shoot since the gooberment closed the range
    Only public range on island.

Boolit Master
    Are the guys in Maui still shooting? Island hopping for matches or practice isn't really an option I guess.

Boolit Bub
    Air rifles rock - a great adjunct to powder burners. I have a range in my basement and have shot thousands of pellets into a homemade trap down there. Only thing that kept me in the game for years when I couldn't sneak out to shoot much.

Boolit Master on Heaven’s Range
    Remember when that nut was in the white house.
    You could not beg borrow or steal any ammo.
    So I went on line and got a Gamo 22 cal. pellet
    rifle. and made a range in the basement.
    That keep me sane ( ha ha ) for the rest of his term.
    Air guns are great, and can save a rainy day.
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy!
    Ben Franklin

Boolit Grand Master

I've a M54 which is basically a M48 with a recoiless feature. With the 14.3 gr pellets you'll get 800 fps +/- right at 20 ftlb +/-

I've found the Crosman Premier domed to be excellent pellets and I use them almost exclusively. Given the twist of the barrel they are very accurate out to 90 yards. There are more expensive Field Target or Match grade pellets but the CPs work well for me. If I weight sort them to 1/2 of a tenth grain (balance beam scale) accuracy improves a bit, especially at longer ranges past 30 yards. For the majority of my shooting just "out of the tin" works for me. The Match WCs are very accurate but only at short ranges as they're made just for 10m shooting. Other tricky pointed pellets never shot as well as the domed either. Also for vermin elimination and even hunting snowshoe rabbits and squirrels for eating the domed pellets worked best all around. Back some years there was a pellet called the "Lamprey". It was super deadly at 30 yards or under as it was a gaping HP but it hasn't been available for some time.

With my M54 22 cal I've killed a lot of rats, squirrels, rabbits, starlings and crows. I also shot a bit of Field target matches with it as it was that accurate.

A USE FOR RATS

By Larry M. Gibson

Was it the cold bleak gray light of the short winter day through its somber mood that had defused my sense of alertness? Perhaps it was the mesmerizing stories, which had my mind, if not my soul, in a far distant land and time. My mind was adrift in Africa walking the banks of the Tana River with Meinertzhagan some 97 years ago. Closing Volume VIII, “Hunting in Kenya”, I contemplated whether my recent sigh was one of disgust at being born a century too late or merely because my coffee cup was empty. With that lingering thought another plaintive sigh brought me to my feet and had me headed for the coffeepot. I could have inquired of my good and lovely wife, Kathleen, for a refill but I have long been conditioned that such a request may invoke a dreaded “honey do”!

Therefore, I advanced stealthily upon the “Mr. Coffee”. However, as always, an instinctive habit took over and I glanced out at the “bait” tree. It had been two weeks now since any rats had been to the bait. The squirrels would usually make a daily visit to their feeder, though usually on these cold wintry mornings they came later in the day. The blustery, still dark shadows of that cold March mid-morning lent a camouflage screen to the squirrel perched on the ledge of the feeder. As I reached for the coffeepot the thought struck like a Tyson right cross up along the side of my head! That “squirrels” tail was not bushy! Two short steps brought me back to the edge of the sliding doors with a quick peek confirming the rat was still there. Or at least I was thinking it was more rat than squirrel.

Now why is it Murphy’s full time job to just follow me! There I was on one side of the sliding doors and, of course, the binoculars were on the other side sitting on the end table. Dropping down low I began the long painful low crawl to the other side. My years of such experience in the Army were indeed paying off, until that is, my wife walked in! With both hands on her hips I got that tongue “clucking” sound that only a wife, with a disdainful point of view, can make. “Another rat?” she inquired. It’s time I move quickly so I grab the ‘nocs and tell her to get away from the doors, she’ll spook the rat. Now I ask, is my wife any different than yours? Does she silently step away as her great white hunter, her PH for life, her Bwana says to? No, of course she does not! She steps right up to the full length sliding door and gives it the classic outstretched hand over the eyebrow, “Umm, Tonto see-um” look!

“That looks like a squirrel to me” she says matter of factly. A quick glance with the ‘nocs confirmed to me it was a rat, and a damned big one at that! I hand the ‘nocs to her and head upstairs to my “hide”. “You just make sure that’s not a squirrel, it still looks like one to me” she yells over her shoulder. Fortunately for me I was halfway up the stairs and moving fast when I said, “You don’t have your glasses on”! I would have probably been “’noc’d” upside the head had it not been for my lightening speed! Slipping into the bedroom I could later claim I didn’t hear her next remark. I picked up the R9, pulled the scope cover off and stepping into my “hide” cocked the rifle. I leave a .20 cal Crow Magnum pellet in the breach with the rifle uncocked. The 4X Simmons is already pre-focused on the “bait” so cocking the rifle is all that’s necessary.

Standing in the tub the pungent fragrance of many candles, incense, and whatever other smelly stuff I get her assails my senses, wafting me off to far away exotic lands. Something to be said for “atmosphere”. Fortunately, my wife was not taking one of her “relaxing” baths. I’ve often pondered the consequence of us having a meeting engagement in her tub, my hide, should I spot a rat. It could get “distracting”, but alas, this was not the time to find out. I slowly slid the window open about three inches to the left. The rat seemed not to notice. It was intently devouring the very spendy “squirrel mix” Kathleen buys at the trendy pet shop in the “snobbish” part of town. I could get six times as much for the money at the local feed and seed but then, it just “isn’t the same”. So OK, the squirrels might eat expensive grits, but I’ll be damned if the rats will.

I pushed the R9’s barrel out the window taking a nice rest with the back of my left hand on the windowsill. The crosshairs are settling as my right thumb slides the safety off. Shallow breathing now as the first stage is taken up on the trigger. Be careful, the second stage breaks clean at two pounds. A precise aiming spot is picked on the close shoulder, which will allow the pellet to drive down through the shoulder, through the heart/lungs and low out through the offside shoulder. The crosshairs lock on that spot as my breathing is checked and the final pressure applied to the trigger.

At the shot the rat crumples then tenses. I have seen the shot hit and some feed is blasted away on the offside. The shot was precisely as expected, but long experience tells me to reload very quickly for this one is not finished. Cocking the R9 another Crow Mag is thumb pushed hard into the breach, no time to use the seater and the barrel is closed. The rat seemed to be mortally wounded but begins to thrash violently and falls the five feet to the ground. It is recovering quickly and has gotten its legs under itself. The legs then begin doing what legs do, move it! I do not want the rat to get into the dense brush, mere inches away, because once there, it may be difficult to “sort things out”. I try for a headshot but there’s too much movement. I quickly shift the crosshairs to the front shoulders again and fire. That finishes it, the movement stops the rat collapses and is dead where it lies. Kathleen is duly impressed; she forgives my transgressions regarding her vision and pours me a cup of hot coffee!

And thus, it turns out, on this Twelfth Day of March in this year 2000, rat #35 has succumbed to the .20 cal R9 with Crow Magnum pellets. This is the third rat killed so far with the R9, the other 32 having been killed with a .22 cal RWS M54 with Crosman Premiers. Since rat #31 I have only been using heart/lung shots attempting to determine what is the difference in the “effectiveness” between the two rifles and calibers. I may switch to Crosman Premiers or FTSs in the R9 for a more valid comparison. This rat #35 was a very large, tenacious and apparently very pregnant female. She went 14 ½ inches “between the pegs” and weighed a tudge over 3 pounds, as weighed on a small hand held fish scale. Of three rats killed with the R9, #35 is the only one which has required an “insurance” shot, so far. A 15 inch male, rat #32, shot with the M54 did not require the “insurance” shot and barely quivered before it died. Too small of a sampling for now, but time will tell and of course with the cooperation of more rats!

Now let us see what’s next. Ah yes, “A Lion Drive on Lake Nakaru” with Chapman, circa 1904…….mmmm and that coffee sure is good!
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master on Heaven’s Range
    good going Larry!
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy!
    Ben Franklin

Boolit Grand Master
    Magnificent Larry. It takes a real writer to bring the task of exterminating rats to a level of excitement and adventure in the way you’ve done here. I salute you!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Great story, well written. Almost makes me wish I had rats.......

Boolit Master
    Which brings to mind Rooster Cogburn's, writ for a rat.

"Mr. Rat, I have a writ here that says you are to stop eating Chen Lee's cornmeal forthwith. Now, It's a rat writ, writ for a rat, and this is lawful service of same! [to Mattie] See? He doesn't pay any attention to me. [shoots the rat] You can't serve papers on a rat, baby sister. You either kill him or let him be."

So, y'all suppose Rooster's hog leg was a bit much for Mr. Rat?
    It ain't rocket science, it's boolit science.

Boolit Master
    Thanks Larry! I was out weedwacking the range. What great posts to come back to!
    Mal

Thanks for the great tale! I hate rats and crows above most any critter but I balance it out by loving to kill them

Boolit Master
    I spent time each of the last 3 days at "the range" and shot about 250 pellets. The scope is pretty well dialed in for the RWS 14.5G Superdome pellets I have. The Crosman Premier Domed will be here Wednesday and I'll see if they tighten up groups. I built a simple pellet trap today but the plywood face must have been better quality as not many pellets made it through. Still experimenting.

Thanks for everything! This is a Blast!
    Mal

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin c View Post
    Are the guys in Maui still shooting? Island hopping for matches or practice isn't really an option I guess.
    Travel between island is forbidden.
    My friend goes to Lani to offer veterinary care for animals there.
    There was no care before.
    He hasn't been able to go since this thing started.
    Interesting note about Lani.....
    Larry Ellison of Oracle Corporation.
    Owns almost the whole island.
    He's probably the best thing to happen to that island in a long, long time.
    I'd say he's spent over a billion building it into a luxury resorts.
    He is providing much needed jobs and has helped small business there.
    He rebuilt, and reopened, the shopping center.
    He hired my friend, who lives on Oahu, to go there once a month, for a week to provide veterinary care.
    Pays for his airfare, hotel, meals.
    Last I've heard he still paying all his workers there, even with almost everything closed down by the gooberment.
    Unlike zuckerman, Larry Ellison is helping people, not just stealing their land..

Boolit Master

Larry, have you considered writing a collection of hunting stories?
    This one would be a good place to start.
    You had me on the edge of my seat wondering if you would get the shot off.
    Well written and fun to read.
    We need to hear more of such from you.

Boolit Bub
    Congrats on your own range...27 yards is a start.

Boolit Grand Master
    My brother likes to say tree squirrels are really rats with better PR. They have done a real number on his deck, edging, and roof.

Boolit Master
    Thanks! Larry's pellet recommendation was spot on. The Crosman Premier Domed pellets got here today so I drove down to the mailboxes, got them and they grouped tighter and to the left of the RWSs. I even got a couple ragged holes. The flies drove me in tonight. Hard to focus with a fly on your nose. LOL

I know in some areas squirrels are the most hated rodent. Here the squirrels do not invade man made space. Rats, Mice and Gophers are prime targets here. We have some Wood Rats that qualify as ROUSs.
    Mal

Boolit Master
    Now I want to get the air rifle and pistol out. Good story.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast