Load DataWidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone have good luck with Lee tumble lube bullets.

Boolit Master

Anyone have good luck with Lee tumble lube bullets.

I have only tried them in .45 and they did pretty good, anybody tried them in .38/357 or 9mm, all replies appreciated.

I have used them in 38Special and 45ACP with excellent results. In 9mm, they have a reputation for tumbling in some guns.
    Haven't really figured out a reason for that yet, but it seems to happen fairly often.

Boolit Master
    I tumble lube everything I use in my 38 special. Lee DEWC (designed for TL), Lee 140 SWC (actually a lube design, but I still TL), Lee 150 grain round nose (also a lube design but I use TL instead). The 150 grain TL I also use in my Ruger New Model Blackhawk in 357. No leading or other issues with any of them.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Buddy

No 45 experience but in 9mm I tried the Lee 356-124 R2. I was using the Lee 356-120 TC with lube groove and had good results with them. I got tired of the mess of pan lubing large quantities of pistol boolits so I got the Tumble lube mold to speed things up. I am shooting several different guns Beretta 92, Springfield XDS, and Glock 19. In these guns I had about a 20% tumble and fliers at 21 feet with the TL 124's. I then learned that my lube choice of 45-45-10 would work on the 120 TC with no leading problem I went back to that Boolit and abandoned the TL 124's and sold the mold.
    Now with being said my out come may have been something that could have been easily corrected with some simple fix. I have done so troubleshooting on the Tumble lube boolits and I think my problem may have come from not flaring the case mouth enough and swagging the Boolit down to a smaller diameter with the case itself. Another fix my have been to use a larger expander in the sizing die. I use the Lee TL 358-158 SW in a Ruger Blackhawk with very good results.
    As with all bullets if you put in the R&D you can make them work very well for you. I can't put down the 9mm and TL boolits I just gave up to soon. I think I had several other different cartridges I was working with at the time. To many irons in the fire as they say.

I've used the TL swc design in 314, 410, and 430 for years with no complaints. The 9mm TL TC leaded horribly from a P38 and a P89 so I sent it down the road. I too use LLA on conventional lube groove bullets successfully.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

TL356-124-TC both PC'd and 45:45:10 tumbled. Both work well.

Boolit Buddy
    In my shoes. And where ever they take me.
    I got good results with it, just hated the mess. And gummed up dies. Your patience may level may exceed mine.

Boolit Master

Tumble lube = messy. The 45/45/10 mix with Johnson's Paste wax is much better. Make it yourself or buy it from white label lube. https://www.lsstuff.com/ Fit is king, otherwise you will get leading. It will work, but coat the boolits and let them dry. Less will get on your reloading die and you will have to clean them more often than other lubing methods.

Boolit Master
    I only have 2 Lee tl molds I have used the 90 grain 32 swc and the 200 grain 45 swc I have mixed results in my single seven Ruger with 32 s&w long cases I get key holing but not with 32 h&r or 327 cases Shoot good in my sp101 with all 3 case lengths , in 45 I get key holing in the ACP cylinder of my flattop convertible but not in any of my autos .i also have the 45 tl 230 grain rn I have not cast with yet.
    I shoot as cast lubed with 45-45-10 .

Boolit Master
    Tried TL in 9mm when I was in Germany and all my sizers were in storage. What a mess and the RN design tumbled badly and the SWC style did too but not as badly. Gummed up seating dies etc. Found out after joining the form and seeing pics of other members bullets that I was applying it much too heavily. Light wash versus mine that looked like chocolate covered raisins LOL. All my molds are standard lube groove designs and size in a Lyman 450 or RCBS LAM II but would TL if the situation required it, only do it right.

Boolit Buddy
    The Lee TL 358 158 SWC is my "GO TO" mold for 38 Special and midrange 357 Mag loads. PC'd or sized and lubed in traditional fashion it works great. I don't TL so no input there.

Boolit Master
    YES! ....358 diameter, 158 grain lead round nose work very well with tumble lubing.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich/WIS View Post
    Tried TL in 9mm when I was in Germany and all my sizers were in storage. What a mess and the RN design tumbled badly and the SWC style did too but not as badly. Gummed up seating dies etc. Found out after joining the form and seeing pics of other members bullets that I was applying it much too heavily. Light wash versus mine that looked like chocolate covered raisins LOL. All my molds are standard lube groove designs and size in a Lyman 450 or RCBS LAM II but would TL if the situation required it, only do it right.
    50/50 LEE alox and mineral spirits gives good results. I stand the bullets on end with space in between each bullet and let them dry overnight.

Boolit Grand Master

I use 5 different Lee TL pistol bullets of 32, 35, 41 and 45 calibers with excellent results. Mostly I size/lube them in a Lyman 450 but when I TL them I use LLA (straight) putting a very, very light coat on them, letting them dry thoroughly, size them and then another very, very light coat and let them dry thoroughly....as per Lee's instructions. I've been using the TL designs for over 30 years and quickly learned, the hard way, the key is the "very, very light" coats [bullets should just have a light golden hue to them, not globs of lube] and let dry thoroughly.....

BTW; same procedure works with standard lube groove bullets and also with commercial cast that are leading with the hard wax lube on them.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Buddy
    Years ago when I started reloading the family heirloom , a Winchester 94 , sold in 97 chambered in 38-55 , 26" barrel , I didn't have a lube/sizer then so after I cast / sized using LEE push through sizing die I just tumble lubed them . I thought they were pretty accurate and absolutely no lead in the barrel . Regards Paul

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I have several of the TL Lee molds and like them all. In my 38s/357 I have tried a while lot of different weights/designs that I have molds for and I still go back to my Lee 158 TL semi-wadcutter. I don't size them - they drop like butter from my 2 cavity and I TL in paste wax / alox. They shoot great.

And as Larry Gibson points out . . . . the same TL process works well on boolits with conventional lube grooves. I throw mine (TL design and conventional) in a quart size Tupperware container with a lid - put in a dab of Johnson's paste wax and put the cover on and swirl them around - then put in a "small" dab of Alox and swirl - then lay out on a sheet of tin foil or wax paper, stand 'em on their bases and let them sit over night. If I'm going to size a boolit or put on a gas check - I swirl them in a dab of paste wax to lube them before pushing them through the Lee push through sizer.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    All my TL slugs work great - closest thing to NLG you can get. I PC everything and the grooves just fill in, leaving almost smooth sides after sizing, not that smooth sides make a darned bit of difference from my experiences over the years.

I've used TL designs in 9mm, 40 cal, 38/357, and 44 mag. I've never had any issues with them. I have to admit though...after switching from Lee Alox Lube to PC, my groups got slightly smaller....and a lot less cleanup after a shooting session.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Bub
    The 200gr. Lee TL SWC with 4.2 Bullseye is my most accurate 45 acp load.

Boolit Master
    tumble lube all my boolits 357/308/223/45-70 gas checked and pb works fine if you dont go mad for speed.