RepackboxLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingLoad DataInline FabricationWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What is a "Boolit"?

A bullet is a store bought 300gr slug any weenie can shoot out of any 45-70.

A Boolit is 565 flat nose cast, that will blow a 4x4 post a part, go clean though a steel 2 inch pipe, or gut any big animal from stem to stern in North America
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Boolit Buddy
    Taffin took exception to the term "boolit"? Really? Really? That strikes me as being kind of funny since after wasting $30 or so on his "Book of the .44" I couldn't help noticing, to the point of distraction, that his writings were RIFE with error. This, after slugging through his musings about what a fantastic and experienced teacher he is. He doesn't put ten percent of the effort into his attempts to communicate in written form for profit that many of us commonly do on blogs and forums as a hobby. Very impressive.

Paul

Boolit Master
    Found out last night that the Crusty Ol' "bullet" mold maker has sent the order to the group buy honcho.

Guess it must have been a mixed order, as I know of one BOOLIT mold which was ordered.

Hope Veral followed directions, as I did really want a BOOLIT mold and don't want the hassle of sending a bullet mold back to be recut.

Hate Crusty Ol'Coots, love BOOLIT MOLDS!!!!!

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

In Remembrance
    According to the author of http://www.lasc.us/FryxellMpMolds.htm , the term 'boolit' is something that he is willing to overlook because
    "and 2) there is a large and very knowledgeable community gathered there, and the knowledge is worth putting up with a little “cutsie-pie” cr@p)."
    CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by pjh421 View Post
    Taffin took exception to the term "boolit"? Really? Really? That strikes me as being kind of funny since after wasting $30 or so on his "Book of the .44" I couldn't help noticing, to the point of distraction, that his writings were RIFE with error. This, after slugging through his musings about what a fantastic and experienced teacher he is. He doesn't put ten percent of the effort into his attempts to communicate in written form for profit that many of us commonly do on blogs and forums as a hobby. Very impressive.

Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by montana_charlie View Post
    According to the author of http://www.lasc.us/FryxellMpMolds.htm , the term 'boolit' is something that he is willing to overlook because: Quote: "and 2) there is a large and very knowledgeable community gathered there, and the knowledge is worth putting up with a little “cutsie-pie” cr@p)."

CM
    Hee...hee...hee. Its amusing to see the pundits of knowledge deride others. I would say to them, "read my signature line". That about sums things up.

Boolit Master
    i figured it was spelled like that to make this site even easier to find with google.....

Boolit Master
    Ya know, I thought part of the fun and enjoyment of hunting, shooting, reloading, bullet/boolit casting and the use of the great forums, like Cast Boolits was to share.

Sharing info, experiences, a laugh or two and thereby adding to life's experiences.

So, being the Ol'Coot that I am, Anyone offended by "Boolits" and the use thereof, needs to get a life.

OR, if they can't, get off the forum.

Ya, I know of at least one long term mold maker who has his tail twisted by the term.

Well, NO ONE is trying to degrade his molds or the quality thereof by the term, Boolits, and if there is any problem with the use of such terms, it is totally with that person. Called, a "personal problem."

I have two of this mold makers molds, and they cast great Boolits!
    Yep, just an Ol'Coots opinion, but those who can't deal with such minor things are taking themselves and life way to serious!

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    A big plus of "Boolits", is the fact it will evade many blocking programs on computer networks. Many companies block all gun related sites.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Funny that some of them that hate the word "boolit" will in term say "boom stick" or "smoke pole", "the holy black" etc, etc.

I think the personality type that can accept and adopt boolits, is one of the things that make this site special.
    I was run off CB-L years ago by crotchety, gloomy old farts and don't miss the anal retentive - ness of it.\
    My Dad had a silly sense of humor and could laugh at a funeral. He used to ask up tight people, "What are you so serious about? Aint none of us gettin out alive!"
    Jay
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen

"THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
    Thomas Paine

Boolit Master

I always thought boolits were the sons-of -a -gun.------->
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Hmm...must be my Liberal brain...because I like

CAST BOOLITS!

I refer to them as such because of this forum and what I've learned on it. That, and I much prefer to shoot my cast BOOLITS than jacketed or plated. My guns will be happier with it over time, my loads have the potential for greater precision, it saves me money, and as Glen Fryxell and Robert Applegate say in their new online book, I now have increased INDEPENDENCE.

What's not to like?

- T
    "San Francisco Liberal With A Gun"
    http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com/
    http://www.liberalsguncorner.com/ (podcast)
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    .38 Spl, .357 Mag, .44 Spl/Mag, .45 Colt, and .22LR
    A true Liberal must by definition support the entire Constitution, and thus also the 2A, 100%. Any other position is inconsistent with liberalism.

Moderator Emeritus

I went to the range yesterday.
    Testing 4 boolits for function and accuracy in 5 pistols.
    one pistol (a modified CZ52 in 9mm luger)
    would not reliably cycle a RD TL 135 gr. GC boolit.
    It may have been seated too long ???
    BUT ANYWAY,
    only one other person there,
    He looked familiar, but I couldn't remember where I'd seen him.
    he was shootin' 22 pistol and rifle
    at some fancy homemade steel targets.
    He asked what I was shooting,
    I told him I was testing some cast boolits.
    He said he cast too.
    ....WOW ! I didn't think anyone else cast in my area,
    let alone at my club, this club is kinda large and is
    not my main club. I don't go to the meetings,
    the meetings are the same night as my other
    club that is much closer to my house,
    I, of course frequent those meetings...now I'm rambling.
    He asked what alloy I use.
    that started a long rambling by me, since I have been
    experimenting with several alloys.
    He was surprised I don't get leading with some of the softer
    alloys I use. I told him about this website.
    I made sure to pronouce it castbooooolits.com
    He said, "Yeah, I've been to that website, with the European spelling right ?"
    I chuckled inside, and just said, I think the spelling is funny way to differentiate
    the website.
    He said he hadn't been there for a while.
    I said you should go check it out again, there is tons of info.
    and plenty of experts who'll answer your questions.
    the last thing he asked, was if I cast any slugs.
    I asked, "for shotgun ? Nope"
    He said he had a new mold and was going to try that out.
    I hope he shows up ?
    I forgot to ask if he was a registored member or was just a guest ?
    I have been thinking of all the things I should have
    asked him yesterday...it was such a short conversation.

I still can't remember why he would look familiar to me.
    Maybe a pistol league from 10 years ago.
    there were over 50 people in that league.

anyway, the point is....
    I guess there is no point
    Jon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

"Boolit" means a home-cast naked lead projectile not allowed at my local indoor range due to EPA regulations. "Bullet" means a steel-cored, copper-jacketed projectile not allowed at my local indoor range due to fire martial regulations. I can $ub$itute range $upplied ammo for a mode$t co$t. please forgive me if the only thing I can afford to shoot off is my mouth.

(edit) I have since begun research regarding electroplating copper onto cast boolits. This has shown some promise for shooting, but handling hydrochloric and sulphuric acids carries environmental and safety risks of their own.
    Last edited by Mossy Nugget; 04-23-2011 at 09:10 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

I have been turning to the internet for the last few years, to find info on shooting, gunsmithing, reloading, and hunting. I kept finding the answers I needed by fellers that pronounce the word boolit It was not untill this year that I finally stumbled across the homepage while I was researching Paperpatching techniques, then it all started to come together for me. I new within a week that I needed to be a member here because there are so many folks with the same interests. (I honestly thought I was one of the last holdouts) I started giving my opinion and asking a few questions, now I give my opinion very carefully and ask a whole lot of questions!
    I cant get enough of this site! I take a look at it at least three times a day. I am just soaking up information like a sponge because for 18 years I have been learning the hard way with nothing but my dads tattered old Lyman books for guidance.
    I love it here!!!!!!
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

I agree with goodsteel and the rest, I could care less about a little tomfoolery over the spelling of the name. If it gets some yo-yo's panties in a twist, that is just too bad.

The excellent information, camaraderie, humor and down right fun that comes across the pages is what sold me on the site. So I will just sit over here in my little corner of the web and cast up my cast Boolits, shoot the hell out of them and enjoy myself.

Jay
    treadhead1952
    Las Vegas, NV USA

USMC RULES!

Boolit Buddy
    i just want to take a min .and tell you guys .thanks for all the help you give to me and others it is a good thing

Boolit Master and Generous Donator
    If you read modern crime novels, watch TV or read contemporary newspapers and "news"magazines, you will note that "bullets" has come to refer in general usage to complete cartridges. "Boolits" preserves the distinction between complete, loaded rounds and the cast lead-alloy projectiles.

You can call the FLGC versions"bullet heads".
    NOV SHMOZ KA POP?

Boolit Master
    Boolit? Does that mean what I think it do? It do!

Boolit Buddy
    I thought it was taken after Elmer Fudd on Bugs Bunny "I'm all out of BOOLITS"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by colt 357 View Post
    I thought it was taken after Elmer Fudd on Bugs Bunny "I'm all out of BOOLITS"
    I like that one,I used that recently when I went pig shooting and me and a few mates got on a mob of pigs,I was using my 44Mag L/A,11 shots later,I used that line,it was a crack up
    Cheers

no34570

"I'll tell you what rule we applied sir,We applied rule 3-0-3, We caught them and we shot them, under rule 3-0-3." :Lt Harry " Breaker" Morant at his court martial in January 1902.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast