RotoMetals2WidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Lee mold.....loose sprue plate.

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!

Lee mold.....loose sprue plate.

I have a brand new Lee 312-155-2r for use in my sks loads. I've cast about 200 boolits so far, and suddenly started getting massive amounts of flashing on the boolit bases. A quick examination found that the sprue plate screw had come loose. No problem, a quick twist with a Phillips screwdriver (left hand thread) and we're back in business.

Until it happened again. I ended up having to tighten that screw after every other cast, as the wavy washer simply wasn't doing its job. Everything's cooled down now and I have the following laying on my bench:

#36 drill
    6-32 set screw

My plan is to simply drill a set screw hole at 90 degrees to the sprue screw and anchor it. Before I start though, I just wanted to see if anyone else had this problem and how they solved it. Suggestions anyone?

Boolit Master
    That has been written up often as the standard repair, drill and tap and in addition, a small piece of copper wire is inserted in the hole before the set screw is tightened, to protect the threads.

Boolit Master

Thanks Dusty.............that's pretty much what I had in mind.

Banned
    Leementing Documentation w/Photos

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ation-w-Photos

either use a brass set screw or put a piece of lead shot between the set screw and the sprue screw to save the sprue screw threads

Boolit Grand Master

Oh Yeah , a double cavity that required tightening every other cast .
    I don't have the ability to drill and tap holes ... but a fellow member fixed his with a few strands of 0000 steel wool ... sounds crazy right ... I pulled 3-4 strands of steel wool from a pad , folded them over a wooden skewer end and press the strands into the hole , replaced the screw , tightened everything up and much to my amazement ...the screw hasn't come loose again. In fact I wanted to remove the screw to clean the mould block top and sprue plate ... but the screw didn't want to break free... and daddy always says if something doesn't want to come loose ...don't force it , leave it be .... so I left it and it's still tight to this day .
    You might want to try the steel wool fix ... but if you have everything to do a set screw , go that route and remember to protect the sprue plate screw threads with something ...once they get buggered up you have to replace it .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

I considered Loktite.........until I realized that it would loose its grip at high temperatures. Then I thought about using some of that stuff that they anchor muzzle brakes with.........good to 1200 degrees or so. In the end I finally just drilled/tapped for a 6-32 set screw and called it good. I'll find out later today if my decision was wise.......

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 3006guns View Post
    I considered Loktite.........until I realized that it would loose its grip at high temperatures. Then I thought about using some of that stuff that they anchor muzzle brakes with.........good to 1200 degrees or so. In the end I finally just drilled/tapped for a 6-32 set screw and called it good. I'll find out later today if my decision was wise.......
    If the hard way doesn't work .... try the strands of 0000 steel wool in the hole...sounds too easy to work but after doin it .... I can't get the screw to come loose now .
    I'm not going to argue with an easy fix ... I'm going to roll with it .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    The left hand thread in the very soft aluminum is a failsafe that Lee uses, instead of getting stuck it will pull out with the threads attached.