Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2
Repackbox Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 22 LR benchrest shooting

Boolit Grand Master
    Lots of good choices above.

My favorites are the Anschutz repeater my dad gave me over 55 years ago (still shoots less than 1.5 MOA with junk bulk ammo), a Winchester M52 sporter and the 10/22.

If I was buying one now, it would be the CZ.
    Don Verna

Moderator Emeritus

I bought a CZ452 Varmint, and put a Weaver Classic 3-9x Rimfire scope atop it, and a Harris Bi-pod under. So impressed, I purchased a second, identical set-up for a son. I had a Winchester 52B .22 lr S/n 52xxxB made in 1943 (424 made) w/ Litschert scope for benchrest -- complete with wooden carry box -- but, bion, my target scores from the CZ452 Varmint were not significantly different. (And, the Win is soooo heavy ).
    If I was in the market, today, for another bench-rest set-up -- bion, I'd seek another exactly as I have.
    BEST!
    geo

Boolit Master

Last summer I bought a Savage Mark II FV after handling one at the range one day. Mine is the heavy barrel model, weighs about 7 pounds with the scope on it. It has been very accurate and competitive at the local BR-50 matches. IIRC, I paid $325 for it.
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Master
    I bought a H&R model 12 from the CMP for the grand total of $300. This included a Mint Redfield Palma rear sight and a Big Bore globe target front sight and an envelope full of inserts. Really never had the time to devote to this rifle to see what exactly what she would do. My Rem 513T isn't the prettiest gal but shoots well enough for me. My 1946 Win Model 52B was in need of a new stock. Some fool chopped it for reasons only known to him. Finally found a new stock so have to strip off the old finish,stain and tru oil the stock. The smaller BSA 22rf martinis can be very accurate. You would be better with a old school externally adjusted scope like the Lyman Super Targetspot or Redfield 3200 which is an internally adjusted scope. neither is made today. Dewey Greiner google him for scopes mentioned. And if you find an old Unertl buy it. Probably the best one for your chosen sport. Steve Earl another google search makes bases for these scopes. Reason for the old style scopes is there isn't much room especially on the martinis to load a round in the chamber. Unless you use high scope rings. Ammo, we could sit here all night talking about 22 rf ammo. The usual suggestion is find a brand that YOUR rifle likes then buy all of that lot number you can find. Somewhere around here is a cardboard box with about ten or so brands of expensive 22rf target ammo. Tried to find what worked in one of my BSA martinis. Big suprise as the el cheapo Russian brass cased 22 shot very well in that little rifle. Unfortunately no longer imported into the U.S. Federal used to make a 22rf loading that won some olympic matches, but now they don't. Then again I never heard of one of the big BSA International rifles being inaccurate as well as cheap. They do cost some serious coin. Not made any longer. Frank

Boolit Master

Don't rule out an old Savage Anschutz either. Look at the older 1400 series Anschutz too. As mentioned above some of the old Remington too.

For optics, I pUT a used 6.5-20 x 40 LR I picked up at a fun show for 3 bills on my 40x after I sent I. To Leupold for a windage problem. I had the switch it over to MK IV turrets and an 1/8th min target dot on a fi e cross hair for $78 shipped.

Boolit Master
    Mossberg also made a 22rf target rifle was called the 144LS. The LS stood for lyman sights. I believe it had a 5 round nagazine. And the one I had was extremely accurate. And being your and stupid I sold it for something I no longer remember what it was for. Still have a Kenyon trigger around here and one of the triggers (canjar) is set up with a little blade that sticks out from the regular trigger so act as a double set trigger. That one will be going on mu post '64 as I have not participated in matches for many years. Instead it will be a new cast bullet shooter with factory barrel. Frank

Boolit Master

Cz 455.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

Boolit Buddy
    Very pleased with my Sako Finnfire P94s, shot very well with it's standard varmint barrel but now has a Lilja match barrel. Also have a scoped BSA Martini Mk IV, a bit heavy but stunningly accurate.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ymdrwk3t.jpg  

Boolit Grand Master

I have one of the 10-22 stainless targets with the heavy ruger hammer forged barrel. Its a good shooter tuned the trigger up some ( not an easy job) it shot very good but not as good as the true target guns in the rack here We set the barrel back some and cut the chamber with a shorter throat That "tuned" it right up. It now runs very close to the actual target rifles.With the old cmp 22 ammo ( the ones that sold for 80-90 dollars a case of 5000) it will hit bullet holes at 50yds. The other mod to it was bedding the barrel nd flating the light aluminum action.

The 10-22 has earned a reputation for accuracy and dependability in an inexpensive rifle. with a scope the 20" barrel isnt a big issue but with irons the extra 4" would be a plus making "clicks" correct and the longer sight radius.

One smith here specialized in tapping the receiver and threading the barrel in instead of the clamp in. He also drilled a hole in the rear of the receiver so it could be cleaned from the breech. His rifles were sought after as to performers.

If you like too tinker and play around you might consider a sleeoer and tune it up yourself keeping track of the improvements made. Bedding, tuning, ammo,and such.

Boolit Master

My Ruger American Rimfire continues to just astound me.

It is not quite as affordable as it was just a few years ago, but its still a bargain.

I also love benchresting my 35 year old 10/22. I can't speak for the current ones, but mine is NOT for sale.

Boolit Mold
    The Marlin 60 is very accurate for its price and the Savage MKII-FV Heavy barrel is just a few dollars more and much more accurate. I feel the 10/22 is more of a plinker until you start spending more money . . . and it starts out higher $$ than these other two around here. I had a 60 back in the 70s and just got a newer one last summer, a 2014 Mayfield KY laminate stock model that was in a closet for several years - still NIB !! I can get it under .75" at 50 yds with a 12x Tasco scope. Now I'm in my 70s with a 'new' 60 !!

Boolit Master

My 10/22 is definitely more than a plinker, but like I said it is about 35 years old. It is box stock, except I did a trigger job on it myself. With just a little polishing, it had a 3 1/2 # trigger. After I put a $65 Ron Power drop in kit in, the pull dropped to a very sweet 2 1/2#. Curiously, I did try a BX trigger group, but it didn't improve it that much (maybe 1/4 # less,) plus I preferred the metal components my oldie had, so I sold the BX group and bought the Power kit.

With it's factory barrel, my best efforts with the ammo it really likes is right at 1/2 " 5 shot groups at 50 yards. Unless I screw up, pretty much EVERYTHING will do 3/4 - 7/8 " at the same.

Boolit Master
    I recently bought a CZ457 varmint .22 and I'm very happy with it's accuracy. Cleaned the bore, headed to the range and shot some different types of ammo. The CCI SV shot a .536" group at 50 yds and some old Wolf Match shot a .37" group. Atn100 yds the CCI SV shot. 1.55" group with it due to vertical stringing of about 1". The Wolf however shot a nice .77" group. Very pleased with it so far.☺
    Last edited by LynC2; 06-30-2020 at 01:45 PM. Reason: typo
    NRA Endowment member, TSRA Life member, Distinguished Rifleman, Viet Nam Vet

Boolit Grand Master

CZ 452/455/457 series. Best bang for the buck IMHO.

If you want more of a bench gun, perhaps a used 40X or similar.

My Kimber 82 Govt is also a decent shooter

May I also suggest SK as a mid tier ammo for volume without breaking the bank like Hightower end Eley

Anyone have any idea how accurate Russian Toz 17 rifle might be?

I have a small collection of 22s and am hoping that one of them might be accurate enough for target shooting. I bought a selection of ammo the other day to try them out on. I seem to recall that mini-mags shot quite good within the supersonic range but it may have been SPs. I did my sillywet shooting with SP high velocities.

I tried my Remington Field Master on the range one day and was so disappointed that I put it away. Maybe it was the wrong choice of ammo or the bore needed cleaning or conditioning or maybe the rifle just can't shoot straight.
    Last edited by 303Guy; 07-03-2020 at 08:56 PM.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Buddy
    Right now the CZ 457 or the Tikka T1X are the two biggest favorites with long range practical .22 LR guys. The Tikka is the more popular of the two. Great value for the money!

I don't know if .22 LR will ever be cheap or plentiful enough again to justify a 10-22 again LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by LynC2 View Post
    I recently bought a CZ457 varmint .22 and I'm very happy with it's accuracy. Cleaned the bore, headed to the range and shot some different types of ammo. The CCI SV shot a .536" group at 50 yds and some old Wolf Match shot a .37" group. At 100 yds the CCI SV shot. 1.55" group with it due to vertical stringing of about 1". The Wolf however shot a nice .77" group. Very pleased with it so far.☺
    Interesting comment on the CCI SV at 100 yds. I found that at 25 yds with CCI sub-sonic. With a suppressor, the velocity difference from shot to shot was very apparent. CCI sub-sonic is supposed to be 10 fps slower than SV but it was too fast to be below the transition range. I have a few other brands to try but those are shown as higher velocity anyway. An 8 shot group had 1" vertical and 1/8" horizontal spread. I wouldn't have expected that much vertical spread from velocity differences at 25 yds. I never had that with Federal sub-sonics. And I never had trans-sonic bullet crack either.
    Last edited by 303Guy; 08-03-2020 at 01:24 AM.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Master
    There was one 22 either made by Suhl that was supposed to be the best one for 22 benchrest. But haven't heard about it in quite sometime. Just got a copy of the Precision Rifle shooter magazine. The Tikka T1X was given high marks as it was designed to fit the after market stocks used by its bigger brothers. Supposedly about $500 and the after market stock was about $400. Stock is adjustable for length of pull, cheek piece adjustable for height and you can get a bipod if you wish. 22rf ammo comes in all sorts of flavors and you will be testing some of them as to which your rifle likes best. Then buy as much as you can afford. Cause maybe the next lot might not shoot as well as the one your rifle likes. I've a Rem 513T (target) is an entry level rifle. The H&R model 12 I bought from the CMP. Best $300 I ever spent. Very heavy with issue stock. Came with a Redfield Palma rear sight and a Big Bore globe front sight. And my old 1946 Winchester 52B is another I haven't shot in years. If your interested check out Rimfire Central website. You can spend hours researching the various 22's for your benchrest shooting. And the BSA International series are probably one of the best for that sport. Ain't cheap but they are extremely accurate. Frank

Not a scope gun but my target master keeps up with the best of em
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

Boolit Master
    I got on the CZ bandwagon late but I have 2 now and love them.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast