WidenersInline FabricationReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad DataLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 22 LR benchrest shooting

Boolit Buddy

22 LR benchrest shooting

I've got some shoulder pain which won't allow me (hopefully for the short tem) to shoot anything that kicks. So, I am looking for a 22 rifle to do some "benchrest" shooting (shooting over some home made sand bags). I would like to find something with accuracy potential, but don't really require a full on target rifle. Any thoughts? New or used is fine. Thanks for your help.

My neighbor has an old 22 rifle that impressed me; it was a Sears rifle made by Savage, a model 101.16.
    The thing about it was that it was a semi auto with an option to push in the bolt handle locking the bolt in place; which made it much more precise.

Good luck!

Boolit Master

kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master

The old Mossberg/H&R 5200 target rifles that were government contract. Stay away from the Kimbers unless you have a good supply of 10x. You missed the boat on the Government t Rem 40x a few years ago, mines a shooter with Blazer and CCI.

I second the CZ. I have two of them and they both are very accurate.

Boolit Master

the one I would recommend you probably would have a hard time locating, its a German ss sniper rifle, grandfather brought some home and boy do those things shoot.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master
    Also a CZ. I have an Anschutz (my second one), have had other guns, and custom builds, and now have a CZ. The CZ shoots 98% as good as either Anschutz at 40% of the cost. The added bonus is that in rimfire you can get extra barrels for .17HMR and .22WMR. It has a real walnut stock, decent trigger, and overall excellent finish. You can buy one new for around $500 and get a better price on a good used one.

Boolit Grand Master

There are some sleepers out there that can be had reasonable.

Winchester 75. mine is accurate and reliable. A good rifle and use able
    Mossberg target (cmp / dcm) these are very good Ive heard, I had a civilian model that was good. A lot of the surplus cmp guns had broken trigger guards and are hard to find.
    Kimber govt model mine shoots very well.
    Model 52 Winchester.normally very accurate but more expensive
    Remington 40X are good but again expensive.
    Remington 541 are usually good, The club had some for the junior program and they were very capable rifles.
    Harrington and Richardson had some also that were decent.

As far as I know the CMP/DCM is out of most the 22s now. Check their websites for north and south store. A trip to the North store might prove productive.

Another that turns up occasionaly is the martini target 22s a very nice single shot very accurate and a nice rifle.

Boolit Master

I had a Mossberg 44 US and it was very accurate using the peep sight an lobe front. It is heavy and the magazines are expensive, plus it’s not drilled and tapped for a scope, unit will shoot. If you can find one...
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Buddy
    One more for the CZ's.

I have a 452 that is accurate and fun to shoot.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Remington 513 and 521 are also sleepers which are good buys.

Older Remington 37 and Winchester 52 target rifles are golden.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master
    Remington Model 581 is the cheaper sporter version of the 541. 582 tube mag.

Another worthy of consideration is the MAS 45, the French built version of the Mauser KKW. IF you can still see iron aperture sights it is great, but not easy to mount a scope on.

Buying new, I think I would go with a CZ.

Robert

Ruger made a laminated stocked stainless steel bull barrelled "target" model 10/22, I think it may still be available.

Three guys at the club bought themselves each one to play with on rainy days when they didn't want to shoot skeet in the rain. (covered benches on the rifle range).

All three shot ridiculously well, they were shooting the staples off each other's targets at 25 yards just for fun.

They also shot them in the club's 100 yard egg shoots and did well.

Only short coming of the rifle was the trigger and there is a stunning number of trigger upgrades on the after market to cure that.

Or start with a plain vanilla 10/22 and gussie it up as far as you and your wallet want.

I've a plain vanilla one that's been treated to a carbon fiber barrel, new sear, trigger, hammer, springs and other assorted goodies that shoots very well. Is it equal to my Gov't Kimber or my Model 52? No, but it shoots pretty darn good.

And it's way easier to cart around.

I've also have a 77/22 that all I did was change the sear, float the barrel and make sure it was tight in the stock to get it to shoot well. And to my eye, it's a sharp looking little rifle.
    Last edited by 15meter; 05-24-2020 at 08:36 AM.

And if you're going to scope it look at the finest crosshairs you can get.

The old adage, aim small, hit small doesn't work with fat crosshairs.

Ruger 10/22 all the way!

I bought a stock model at a gun show and spent my money on upgrades, new barrel, thumb-hole, stock, better trigger, good glass (I like the Vortex Diamondback) and the kids call it the "Daisy cutter" as they shoot Dandelions off the stems at 100 yards from a bench.

More to the point though is your choice of ammo, my Marlin Micro-groove rifles will shoot minute of gopher head at 50 yards with normal 36gr hollow points while the 10/22 will do MOA at 100yds as long as the air is still with HP but will not shoot Armscor 40gr better than minute of table saw blade at 100 yds.

Federal seems to shoot well across all my .22's and Eley (of course) is the most consistent on paper hands down but Federal HV Match comes in a close second but at less than half the cost of Eley Club.

Boolit Master
    If you eyes are not young consider fine crosshairs with a target dot. Also is this is the one and only 22 consider the rifle and scope's versatility. Some rifles best for the bench are not wonderful for all other uses. Same with scopes.

Depends on how deep your pockets are and how deeply you want to get in. Any .22, old or new, with a heavy bbl, good glass, correctly shaped stock and a timney or volquartson trigger would make a good bench gun. A Ruger would be my first suggestion. Buy American. My newest old .22 is a 1924 vintage Winchester Model 52 preA. A great 96 year old gal. BTW, I shoot my steel offhand with lyman peeps from my deck, no bench or paper other than sight in. Stay safe.
    Last edited by Baltimoreed; 05-24-2020 at 02:41 PM.

Boolit Master

My Savage A22 target and Marlin XT are great target rifles. As far as my modern guns. I have some old timers too. And they are tack drivers.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Master
    CZ455,CZ452, CZ457. Have fun. They are all wonderful shooters. Rimfire Central has a ton of info on them. For less money, Marlins and Savage Mark II's are well know to be inherently accurate. I have a Marlin 60 that is scary.

Boolit Master
    cz are great but my bsa martini international out shoots most non target rifles but its a heavy beast to carry.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast