Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky

Thread: S&W 686 issues after cylinder assembly repair

Boolit Man

S&W 686 issues after cylinder assembly repair

I stripped out the extractor star on my 686 SSR awhile ago, over tightened it during reassembly. I just received and installed the following new OEM parts today: extractor star, extractor spring and extractor rod. All the parts fit fine and I was able to reassemble and install the cylinder assembly in the gun. The problem is that the hammer will only drop on one chamber. The action can be cycled with the hammer or trigger, but on all but one chamber the hammer travel stops just short of allowing the hammer to drop. I'm not familiar enough with the inner workings of the revolver to troubleshoot it any further. Any ideas? Home fix possible, or am I headed for the gunsmith?

Boolit Man
    I dropped it off with the smith. He thinks the hand is a bit too tall and needs refitted due to the new extractor star.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Good luck!

Thanks for sharing. I'm always interested in learning more about the details of the mechanics of revolvers.

Boolit Master

Yes, anytime a new star is installed, the nubs on the star have to be recut with a special tool. Quick and easy. One cut, stone off the burrs and check that the hand does 't bind.

Re olver are not plug n play.

Boolit Master
    check under the star and see if there is {cut burs} feel it {careful] light fine file may work buddy just brought me one about week back that was his problem the bur may be like a razor so be careful

Boolit Master
    When you disassemble or reassemble a cylinder its a good idea to put an empty case in one of the chambers. This takes the stress off the pins that guide the extractor "star" into the cut in the cylinder.

I fill the cylinder with empties when I remove an extractor.

When I went to my first S&W revolver armorers school one individual called the extractor the “star”. The instructor informed us all that there are stars in the sky, stars in Hollywood, the Star of David but there ain’t no stars in a Smith revolvers, there are just extractors with ratchets.
    At the factory ratchets were cut with a special sharpened hand installed on a target that had a bar welded to it. It was installed, side plate screwed down tight and the ratchets are cut, side plate removed and fitting continues. Without that tool you use your #4 Barrett file and file each ratchet to fit. The same file is used to file the DA sear.
    Last edited by JMax; 05-24-2020 at 08:17 PM.

Boolit Man
    Picked it up today. Gunsmith said he re-fit the hand. I took it to the range and ran a bunch of 38's and magnums thru it. No issues with the action, and the lockup is very tight. I'm happy to have this one back in service, been way too long without it.

Thanks for letting us know.