Reloading EverythingInline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Lee Precision
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mri

Boolit Master
    Hi...
    I have had countless CAT scans, MRIs and PET scans.
    Three bouts of cancer will give you more contact with every facet of the medical field than you will ever want.

I have to be sedated for MRIs...I had no idea I was claustrophobic until I was put in an MRI tube. Total freak out time. I tell them that I will need to be sedated every time they schedule an MRI. They didn't authorize the sedation drug one time and they couldn't get me in the tube. They weren't very happy but they had to reschedule the MRI.

PET scans I can handle but it's not a good time. I need the tech to talk to me pretty much every couple of minutes or I get VERY anxious.

CAT scans are a piece of cake.

Boolit Master
    Cat scan = 10 ga
    MRI -= .22
    I'm sure others can come up with a better comparison.

4 back surgeries so far, so no stranger to the tube. If they don't have me move much I've fallen asleep several times. Don't tolerate the contrast die well, which I've only had a few MRI's without.

I did one for my back. The problem was that they were freaked out because I still carry a bullet in my leg and they were concerned that the MRI could heat up the bullet and cause me problems. It all turned out fine. The hardest part was not scratching my nose when it itched!
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Moderator Emeritus

Heh cervical MRI's do not want you to swallow. Try doing that after someone tells you not to.

Boolit Master
    I have had a couple MRI's done a few years apart. The first one wasn't too bad, just closed my eyes and thought about riding a motorcycle on a winding road.
    The second time I made the mistake of opening my eyes about halfway through, the tech asked me if I was doing ok, I told him as long as I keep my eyes closed I will be fine.

Boolit Master
    FISH4BUGS said:
    The problem was that they were freaked out because I still carry a bullet in my leg
    That brings up some questions.

Moderator Emeritus

First time they tried to stuff me in the portable MRI didn't go over well... I said get me out and they tried to say stay in there. I came out on my own and broke a few things... my doc heard about it and chewed butt big time over it. Flat out told them if you ever try to force a patient to stay in the tube again I will get your medical credentials revoked.

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Flat out told them if you ever try to force a patient to stay in the tube again I will get your medical credentials revoked.
    That's pretty much the exact opposite of what will happen if you force your way out of medical equipment and break things.

I see a lot of people in this thread struggling with claustrophobia and similar. Pretty common, especially if you don't spend much time in enclosed spaces. There are lots of counselors and therapists out there that can help with claustrophobia from exposure therapy to breathing exercises that can help manage stress. As an added bonus, it'll contribute towards the normalization of mental health care in the US!

If you need professional medical treatment and seek it out, you have an obligation to actually facilitate it haha.
    MC-130J Driver
    Former T-6A Texan II Driver
    FAIP Mafia
    Hook 'em all

Moderator Emeritus

Luckily, I'm pretty easy going.
    I've had one MRI, they put some headphones on me, with classic Rock playing...35 minutes later, I was almost asleep when they said OK, we're done.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    I see a lot of people in this thread struggling with claustrophobia and similar. Pretty common, especially if you don't spend much time in enclosed spaces.
    I'm claustrophobic because I spent too much time in an enclosed space.
    And...AND...I have very little faith in counselors and/or therapists, for good reasons.

Been there few times... Last time was early on this year. End of January. Had couple back surgeries...And probably few is ahead. Annoying sound on those pesky tubes. Someplace they give you headphones with music some without music. So tight tube. Need to go hands crossed on belly. How things are if you are real big guy...😮

Quote Originally Posted by Battis View Post
    FISH4BUGS said:
    That brings up some questions.
    1) The docs thought that the MRI could heat the bullet metal and cause some issues. I was far enough away from the MRI area but they did a series of XRays to make sure.
    2) I shot myself with an UNLOADED Ruger RST4 - an old one before they installed magazine cutoffs. One was in the chamber (and of course since the magazine was empty the gun was too ) and I touched the trigger when reloading the magazine.
    THAT is how you shoot yourself with an unloaded gun.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FISH4BUGS View Post
    1) The docs thought that the MRI could heat the bullet metal and cause some issues. I was far enough away from the MRI area but they did a series of XRays to make sure.
    2) I shot myself with an UNLOADED Ruger RST4 - an old one before they installed magazine cutoffs. One was in the chamber (and of course since the magazine was empty the gun was too ) and I touched the trigger when reloading the magazine.
    THAT is how you shoot yourself with an unloaded gun.
    FWIW...
    I would avoid doing that in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by 375supermag View Post
    FWIW...
    I would avoid doing that in the future.
    That's how you learn gun safety the HARD WAY!

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by MrHarmless View Post
    That's pretty much the exact opposite of what will happen if you force your way out of medical equipment and break things.

I see a lot of people in this thread struggling with claustrophobia and similar. Pretty common, especially if you don't spend much time in enclosed spaces. There are lots of counselors and therapists out there that can help with claustrophobia from exposure therapy to breathing exercises that can help manage stress. As an added bonus, it'll contribute towards the normalization of mental health care in the US!

If you need professional medical treatment and seek it out, you have an obligation to actually facilitate it haha.
    When a patient requests TWICE to stop you stop. PERIOD. No discussion. Little thing called malpractice kicks in

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by MrHarmless View Post

Some of the medical folk seem to get annoyed when you can't just lay down and have the images taken. With my injuries it may take a few times in and out before I can find a position that I can tolerate for a period of time. Like I said previously, I can fall asleep doing them once I can find that sweet spot. Them not listening and trying to force me into a painful position for an extended period of time is not gonna happen as it makes things a whole lot worse.

Boolit Buddy
    My first one was easy. They were looking at my hip and ran me far enough through that I could see out the machine and the window outdoors. No problem.

Next one didn't go so well. They ran me in and in 10 seconds I was calling for help. MRI didn't happen that day. My doctor had a reasonable solution. Xanax (sp?) works wonders.... I cannot do the claustrophobic MRI without meds.

Boolit Master
    I can just about guarantee that if someone went to a therapist for help dealing with claustrophobia during an MRI, the therapist would pull out their script pad and write an order for Diazepam, Lorazepam, etc.
    Last edited by Battis; 05-26-2020 at 10:01 PM.

Moderator Emeritus

They fed me the max dose of valium... nope nothing... my body processes meds weird and many have the opposite effect. Makes for fun trying to find things that work.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast