Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackbox
WidenersRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boxes for molds

Boolit Grand Master

Boxes for molds

I've been looking around, and can't seem to find any.
    Looking for 3x2x2
    Seems like the best size, and it's about the same as the Lyman box.
    Any ideas????
    Suggestions on what other size might be easier to find.
    Alternatives????

What a good idea, shouldn't be hard to put spacers in to divide into say 6!

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Grand Master
    Sorry, I meant 3"x2"x2" box.
    But one large box is a good idea.
    I just happen to have a Plano box.
    The flat one with all the dividers in it.
    Might be just deep enough to fit molds.
    I'll try it tomorrow.

I think MTM makes a box that size labeled utility.

Moderator Emeritus

MidwayUSA purveys storage boxes which might work on smaller moulds (I use them for cast/sized/lubed bullets) -- https://www.midwayusa.com/product/100991919?pid=858581 -- but, I like to keep handles on my moulds and have all of mine in Plano boxes -- their PLANO MOLDING 2-3730-05 4 to 15 Compartment Box, 14"L x 9.13"W x 3-1/4"H -- and, with labels on box end, they provide easy stacking, with some anti-rust paper, and top punch number (for those I use Lyman lub/sizer) -- it works for me. I have attached a picture of just a very few stacked, on one shelf in my mould closet.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mould boxes.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	32.7 KB 
ID:	262579
    geo

Boolit Master

Midway used to carry some blue hard plastic containers in four sizes and they quit carrying them. I've been recently eying the Dillon catalog at some. Take a look. I think they will also work for a Mihec 4 cavity mold.

The bottom of the page. https://www.dillonprecision.com/ammo...0.html?&mult=1

Boolit Grand Master

I keep mine in a large MTM dry box. It works ok except that I have to dig through it when looking for a mold. Whichever one that I want is always on the bottom. But I do like having all of them in the same place.

If you want boxes look at a company called U-Line. They sell industrial packing supplies.
    Last edited by lightman; 05-24-2020 at 08:41 AM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by abunaitoo View Post
    I've been looking around, and can't seem to find any.
    Looking for 3x2x2
    Seems like the best size, and it's about the same as the Lyman box.
    Any ideas????
    Suggestions on what other size might be easier to find.
    Alternatives????
    Michaels and Hobby Lobby both carry an assortment of small wooden boxes if you're specifically interested in wood boxes. I got some in the 6x4x3 range for a Christmas gift my wife had me make for someone this past year. There were others smaller and larger and in considerable profusion. Hinged lids, with a latch. I lined the one I got with felt, since the gift was a copper bracelet. Might not be a bad idea for boolit molds.

Boolit Master

I placed an order for a quantity of 10 empty plastic mould boxes from Midway a few years ago. When I come across a mould without a box I use one of the Lyman boxes. When I get a larger mould that won't fit in the Lyman, I just use what I can find. I have used an appropriate sized cardboard box and of course I label everything. I have my moulds in a couple of the large dry storage boxes that have the cover hinged on one side and the other side has a heavy round steel or PVC affair that locks the sealed lid to the box. I use a package of absorbant in each box for humidity control. So far so good.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Boolit Master

NOE uses boxes from Uline to ship their molds in. I use the boxes to store mine on end in a larger box.

3x2x2 boxes

They are also great for storing small parts or cast boolits in. They are very strong and as long as they kept in a climate controlled area, the cardboard will last a long time.

Custom Cast Boolits Google Search

The Learning Never Stops!

Boolit Grand Master
    I did see them.
    I sent an email to Uline, but no reply.
    Looking for someplace here that orders from them.

I believe this box came from Harbor Freight...I have sorta outgrown this one now so I'll an another box when I get around to going there again.

I coat my steels in Mineral Oil USP for stowage so this plastic tool/parts box works nicely.

I think there's 15 steels in here now...the ones I'm using most often generally stay on the handles.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master

I'm not sure that they are still available but a few years ago Lyman sold the orange plastic boxes that held their 1 and 2 cavity moulds. Not sure if they were sold individually or by the dozen.
    Chuck

Boolit Master
    Recently, I've been using these:

https://www.containerstore.com/s/sis...ystema%20snack

They'll house 4 cavity NOE & MP molds and the small divided area will house extra HP Pins, Top Punch and or those tiny bottles of sprue lube.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1819.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	63.1 KB 
ID:	262637Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1820.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	56.9 KB 
ID:	262638

They're not real cheap, but considering the value of what's inside... They're tight & the lids have an o-ring around them as well
    Bob

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Can't help you in regards to boxes like you mention but over the years, I got real tired of having my mold blocks in small individual boxes - a pain to keep stacked on there shelf, especially if the original boxes were different sizes. I have a 50+ year collection of a wide variety of mold blocks and one day I was in Joanne Fabrics with my wife when I ran across their plastic storage boxes. I ended up picking up four of the ;larger storage boxes with the moveable dividers in them - they are back in MI and I am in AZ but my guess is that they are about 12" X 14" or 16"? They are deep enough to hold all of my double cavity Ideal, Lyman, RCBS, etc. molds. I set one up for all of my muzzleloading molds - round ball, mine, etc. The fit well in the movable divided compartments and I just oil them up and set them in. On the hinged top, I use a permanent black marker to mark the mold number so they are quick to find when needed. I organized the round ball molds from the smallest to the largest - same with the mini ball molds - .54, .58, .69 etc. I used another r box for my pistol molds and another one for my rifle molds. I have a number of multi cavity NOE molds, etc. and when I am done with those, I tape the two halves together with green "frog tape" - easy to peel off when needed. Those I store in plastic shoe box size boses and on the frog tape, mark the mold number with a sharpie. For molds that I use often, I have accumulated enough handles over the years to leave the handle on them and I put a piece of the green frog tape on one of the handles and mark the mold number on it with a sharpie so I can easily find them. I can store a number of them in a plastic shoe box as well - I use a plastic shoe box to hold the rest of my handles. I have one of the rolling tool chests from Harbor Freight - tool chest with drawers on the top and a large compartment in the base with a slide out and down cover. The shoe boxes and the mold block boxes easily stack on each other and are stored in the base cabinet. I marked the ends of the mold block storage boxes "BP Molds", "Rifle Molds", "Pistol Molds" by using a piece of the green frog tape to write on with a sharpie and I put several strips of the frog tape on the ends of the shoe boxes to label the contents and mold numbers in each box by using a sharpie. Everything is easy to find when needed but securely stored where it won't get dirty/rust issues on the iron molds/etc. and out of the way until needed. Just another way of "doing it".

I still have a lot of the original boxes the mold blocks came in but the majority are somewhat ratty - written on by previous owners, taped up by previous owners, etc. They sit in a box way up on top of my wall cabinets over my reloading bench - a wide variety of sizes and not easy to stack on a shelf somewhere. For some reason, I still hang on to them. I imagine the "youngsters" would consider some of them as "antique collectibles" - to me, I just remember them as boxes from the 50s, 60s, etc.

I have a lot of mine in Speer bullet boxes. For single & double cavity. The bigger ones I have in plastic boxes industrial bits come in. I have each caliber, muzzle loader molds and handles in large plastic boxes carbide cutters come in.

Boolit Grand Master
    Amazon has the Lyman boxes. $27 for 10.
    Not all that bad.
    I'm still hoping someplace here carries boxes for uline.
    Those are exactly what I'm looking for.
    My long molds are kept in tall ammo cans.

Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    I believe this box came from Harbor Freight...I have sorta outgrown this one now so I'll an another box when I get around to going there again.

I coat my steels in Mineral Oil USP for stowage so this plastic tool/parts box works nicely.

I think there's 15 steels in here now...the ones I'm using most often generally stay on the handles.
    Thanks for sharing. What do you do to remove the mineral oil?

Boolit Grand Master
    Why is it boxes are so expensive to ship?????
    I found a place the would ship boxes to us.
    Shipping was more that the price of the box.
    I wish amazon carried this size of boxes.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by abunaitoo View Post
    Why is it boxes are so expensive to ship?????
    I found a place the would ship boxes to us.
    Shipping was more that the price of the box.
    I wish amazon carried this size of boxes.
    Amazon has 2x3x6 boxes. https://www.amazon.com/Aviditi-Corru...0636569&sr=8-1

Custom Cast Boolits Google Search

The Learning Never Stops!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast