RepackboxLoad DataReloading EverythingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Wideners
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Some guns and things, you wish you had kept.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 45-70 Chevroner View Post
    As I have gotten older (I'll be 79 in August) I've been reflecting back on time and thinking about guns and other gun related things I have gotten rid of. I had a refinished Victory model 10 that I payed $90.00 for, there worth a lot of money today.Then I got rid of a Custom conversion 1903 A3 Springfield a really pretty rifle, just plain stupid. Then I got rid of a 3 barreled HandR in 410, 20ga, and 30-30. Back in the 1960's I got a Cannon, that traded two Military two way radios for, (I won't tell you how I came buy those) it had a 11/4" bore diameter the barrel was 24" long it was built from a stub axle out of a Caterpillar doser. The outside diameter was about 31/2". The frame was 1/4" steel plate. It looked like a ship's deck gun, it was contoured to look like a real cannon from a ship. It actually shot quite well. The guy that built it put a set of 03A3 sights on it. At 50 yards I could hit a car tire rim regularly it would not shoot through rim but it would tumble it 10 or 15 feet backwords. The load of 2fg black powder was a 31/2" empty shotgun shell full, the ball weighed a little less than a 1/2 pound. The funny thing about that cannon was, I sold it in the early 1970's and in the mid 1980's I saw it at a gun show in Phoenix Az. The guy thought he had a real prize because he got I from a guy that said it was a Cannon from real sailing ship used on the poop deck. When I got it it had been rifled like a modern muzzle loader. When I Sold it I got a $150.00 for it. The gun show guy wanted $500.00. I told him that I had gotten it from the guy that built it and even described the round ball mold that came with it. The mold was made from two pieces of 3/4" steel plate. You should have seem the guys jaw drop, because he had the mold in a box under the display table. The end of this is that we do do things that we regret. I wish I still had that Cannon.
    How about every gun I've ever owned that I don't still own, and the 1963 Impala SS that was my first car I got to drive for more than a couple of days. Webley MkII in .455, 6.5mm Carcano, a 1917 J.P. Sauer & Sohn 1898 Mauser, and about 3 pages more... Nazi-marked 1938 Browning Hi-Power... Barrel was bulged from some idiot PO shooting sub-gun ammo in it, but barrels weren't that expensive. I was young and dumb and stupid. I'm with Tazman on this.

Boolit Master

Traded off a Win model 71 that I often regret. That, and miss a few that were stolen. Regret not buying a few that were real good deals. Just couldn't justify spending the money at the time, poor excuse!

I’ve only sold two guns so far an old beet up lee enfield 303B smle And a 1943 mosin nagant infantry model as I got a Mosin nagant p3 sniper to replace it With reproduction scope and mount on it don’t regret either yet

Boolit Grand Master
    As I've gotten older, everything I've sold (with a few notable exceptions) has been to buy something I like better. I do wish I still had my Marlin lever rifle in 32 RF/CF. It was in antique very good+ condition and had not been messed with at all. It came with a half box of 32 RF ammo (that wouldn't go off) and the CF firing pin stashed in the butt where it was supposed to be. I still can't remember why I sold it but it probably seemed like a good idea at the time...now, not so much.

Later I bought one of the Ruger Blackhawk Combo series from Buckeye Sports. It was the first one, a 32 H&R/32-20 and was just great. I was getting interested in single shot rifles and sold it, probably to finance a Winchester high wall.

Speaking of high walls, I had a second or third year high wall with a rare #1 octagon barrel in 32-20. NRA Antique Excellent with great wood and near perfect bore, but since I wanted to join the Schuetzen game, and it was way too nice to alter for competition, I sold it at a small profit. Again, not my smartest move.

As stated, I've been through a lot of good things, but in each case was OK with letting them go to good homes so I could get something I liked better. In many ways I've been fortunate to recognize lasting value and things in which I would have a lasting interest.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

How about old girlfriends? Hmmm....better not go there! A 5” nickel 27, a Rem 788 in 44 mag, any one of my Corvettes(especially the 75), a 63 Impala SS, a 69 SS 396 Chevelle, a 70 442 Olds 700adl in 270 that was a real 1/2” rifle, a Colt Gold Cup. Wow, no wonder I am broke!
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

How about old girlfriends? Hmmm....better not go there! A 5” nickel 27, a Rem 788 in 44 mag, any one of my Corvettes(especially the 75), a 63 Impala SS, a 69 SS 396 Chevelle, a 70 442 Olds 700adl in 270 that was a real 1/2” rifle, a Colt Gold Cup. Wow, no wonder I am broke!

Sorry for the double post. $%#^ cell phones!
    Last edited by murf205; 05-23-2020 at 04:30 PM.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master

That's a sore subject, always tell wife that if I would kept every gun in addition to the ones I collect today, would need a big room in itself to store. The Belgium Browning 12 GA, British Enfield, S&W 29, Mossberg "road-blocker" etc. Some firearms, to most, may not be "head-turners" but become sentimental.
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

Boolit Master

I do not want to start crying over sold firearms. As a young married couple with a toddler and 2 more babies shortly afterwards on one income, I literally sold more than 20 high-end and historic firearms to pay for unexpected costs over a couple of years. When my Yellow Lab needed life-saving surgery several years I didn't hesitate to use them to raise the funds needed for that dog's unscheduled care. The firearms are tools and they will be replaced eventually...

Bruce
    ( still miss my CETME and my SKS rifles.)
    Last edited by bruce drake; 05-29-2020 at 08:55 PM.
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

One or two.

Years ago when we still had a mortgage I sold about 15 of the best guns from my collection to make a big payment to reduce the balance. Some of them were real beauties and I'll never be able to replace them of course, but at the time paying down the mortgage was a priority. I also regret ever letting go of my first vehicle ... a 1947 Mercury 1/2 ton pickup farm truck that had been flat decked and stake sided. It was a great old truck and I still miss the sound of that old flathead motor "ticking" over at an idle.
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    I have along list of guns I wish I still had. I have no idea where to start and probably can't remember nearly all of them.
    I really don't want to remember all of them. It would depress me.
    I agree. The fact that I sold them almost brings tears now.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Master

I've only sold 3. My first pistol was a S&W 459, matte black limited run. A co-worker was also a reserve deputy who bought one the same day. His house was broken into, I sold him mine. I had a Beretta M70 .380, nice shooter. A co-worker was gifted a M71, I sold him my .380 so he would have a set. A S&W M10 snub was purchased from a friend who needed the money. It was a commemorative from the union I belonged to. Another buddy had one, and had 2 sons. I guess every gun I got rid of was to a friend and for a good purpose. Oops, the 4th was a Glock 42, sold to another friend who as a retiree could not buy one in CA due to stupid laws. Even more stupid, he had to wait 10 days to receive his pistol, even though he had one on his belt and a badge in his pocket. I bought a G43 so I don't actually miss the G42, but I can always shoot my wife's.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

I got rid of my Ruger Super Blackhawk because the cylinder pin would work its way out under recoil; Ruger's fix didn't fix anything.. About 6 months after, someone informed me of an aftermarket fix for that problem, (evidently it must be somewhat common;) but I didn't have it anymore. :/
    Last edited by Win94ae; 05-23-2020 at 10:33 PM. Reason: disabled smilies

I have only sold a few I wish I still had now but my biggest regret is the many I could have bought and didn’t.

Jedman

Boolit Master
    My last regret from not buying a gun was this spring. I had myself talked into finding a Winchester model 64 in 30-30. Never owned a 30-30 and liked the 24" barrel and pistol grip stock on the 64. Saw one in decent shape and reasonable price at the first gun show of the year, but it was drilled for a side mount scope. Told my buddy that was with me, since it was just the first show in the area, I was going to wait for an undrilled one to show up at another show. Only went to one more show before they all got cancelled due to the pandemic. Every time I have seen my buddy since then, first thing he says is that I should have bought that 64.

quack1, I did almost the same thing. I found a 94 Win in 25/35 that was an honest 90% or better gun for $400 and it had been drilled. I wouldn't buy it for that reason even though the barrel looked new inside. My buddy ask me when we left the show if I knew how cheap filler screws were!

Quote Originally Posted by quack1 View Post
    Every time I have seen my buddy since then, first thing he says is that I should have bought that 64.
    I had a friend like that.
    He'd tell me something like that and I'd tell him,
    "Yeah, yeah. Why don't ya just give me a nice paper cut and throw lemon juice on it".
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master
    Inland M-1 Carbine,
    Win Model 12. The nicest one I've ever seen 1955 IIRC.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Grand Master
    The one I miss most was my 3 1/2" Model 27. Having fallen for the "45-only" bologna that the Cooper acolytes were spewing, I traded it for a "custom" 1911. what a mistake.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    I had a friend like that.
    He'd tell me something like that and I'd tell him,
    "Yeah, yeah. Why don't ya just give me a nice paper cut and throw lemon juice on it".
    I had a guy say things like that to me. I just told him, 'well, why didn't YOU buy it if it was such a good deal.'

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast