Load DataInline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWidenersSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision RotoMetals2

Thread: Had a 1st

Boolit Master

Had a 1st

Got Linotype letters and a bunch of .570 roundballs cast outta linotype. 12.75lbs of them.. I missed out on buying linotype from the local printing press when they switched over back in 1978. Todd/3leg

A friend's Grandfather passed and he had about a 5-10 bar of Linotype they have me. I've of used it yet but soon....

Boolit Grand Master
    Those .570 round balls can be weighed and used to add specific amounts of (antimony rich) Linotype to your melt, but conventional wisdom is that Linotype roundballs are way too hard to work with muzzleloaders. Once upon a time I cast up (by mistake) a bunch of Linotype 58 cal Minie balls for my Zouave musket but since they are sized small for easy loading, they went in OK... performance on the target was less than stellar though!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Grand Master

I still find Linotype occasionally. Usually from an older casters stash! I've had more linotype scores get away from me than any other type of lead. But to me, its not really needed. Some day someone will "find" some linotype from this older casters stash!

Boolit Master
    Lightman, I have other sources of SB and SN, so, unless I proactively dispose of it, my stash of factory Lino ingots may be a major score for some future caster as well.

Boolit Master
    Froggie, i got alot of lead from an old caster. suspect thats what these .570 balls were for, most of the boolits seemed like he made them close to a lyman #2 eqvilant alloy. I made back in late 80's and early 90's, round balls and Lee REAL bullets out of straight wheel weights. They shot good and didnt really load any harder. Heading to recycle yard tomorrow and another collection from an older gent that cast and reloaded. Itsa shame it couldnt get passed to family or kin! Todd/3leg