Reloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2Repackbox
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Canadian "beans I like" recipe

Boolit Master

Canadian "beans I like" recipe

Would the member that posted this recipe please PM it to me? I made a batch and like it, but I'm about to run out. The Origional thread has disappeared.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Was it this one? (Still one of my favorite bean recipes ...)

Canadian Cowboy Beans

1 pound or so of soaked, boiled, and pre-prepared white pinto beans (or a mix of beans, your choice). Prepare them by soaking the beans covered in water overnight, drain and rinse several times next morning, then cover with fresh water and bring beans to a full boil for about 10 minutes, then reduce heat and simmer for at least three hours until the beans are just tender. Drain off the water and hold the beans aside while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.

½ pound of bacon diced
    2 cups of chopped onions
    1 teaspoon of chili powder
    1 teaspoon of “Creole” seasoning (whatever your favorite brand)
    1 ½ teaspoons of salt
    ½ teaspoon of ground black pepper
    4 to 6 cloves of minced garlic (I use 6 of course!)
    1 large can of chopped tomatoes c/w the juice
    1 (12 ounce) bottle of lager or ale
    ½ cup of Maple syrup
    ½ cup of packed brown sugar
    ½ cup of chicken stock
    ½ cup of Canadian rye whiskey
    2 tablespoons of whole grain mustard
    1 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce
    2 bay leaves

In a large pot, cook the bacon over medium high heat until brown and fat is rendered, about 6 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. To the fat in the pan, add the onions, chili powder, Creole seasoning, salt and pepper, and cook stirring often until the onion is soft and clear, about 4 minutes. Add the minced garlic and cook for another minute, then add the tomatoes with their juice and cook a further 2 minutes or so. It’s not listed in the recipe, but I also add about 2 to 3 diced bell peppers to the mix as well.

Add the beer, maple syrup, sugar, chicken stock, whiskey, mustard, Worcestershire and the 2 bay leaves. Stir it all very well and cook for 1 to 2 minutes, then add the cooked, previously prepared beans to it all and bring to a boil. Add the bacon pieces that you removed earlier. Reduce the heat and simmer covered for about 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Then remove the lid and continue to simmer until all is tender, about 1 ½ to 2 hours more, stirring occasionally adding a bit more water or chicken stock as needed to keep the beans covered. At the end, I thicken the bean mixture by bringing them to a boil again and adding 6 to 8 tablespoons of Masa Harena (corn flour) thoroughly mixed with some cold water.

If you can be patient enough, they’re even better if they are made a day in advance, left overnight to cool and thicken, and then re-heated to be served the next day. Just like stews, they taste WAY better on the 2nd or 3rd day after all the flavours mix, rather than on the day they are first made …
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

I haven't tried it yet, but it sure looks good.

However;
    There's something about 'cowboy' and 'Canadian' being used in the same sentence that just sounds wrong.

'Grizzly bear beans' or ' Canadian Lumberjack beans' would sound better.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    No booze in the one I'm looking for. Thanks for starting the recipe thread. I already subscribed to it.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Boolit Master

Tagged for the subscription to the thread. I always look for new ways to cook beans.

Custom Cast Boolits Google Search

The Learning Never Stops!