Snyders JerkyInline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Lee Precision Load Data

Thread: Lyman or RCBS ram prime?

Lyman or RCBS ram prime?

I'm looking at buying a ram prime unit to replace my Lee. What is the pros and cons of the Lyman vs RCBS ram prime units? Is there any other brands I should consider?

Thanks

Bazoo

Boolit Grand Master
    Is that the one that mounts in the press and does one at a ti,e?????

Boolit Master
    I always go with RCBS because of the great customer service.

Moderator Emeritus

abunaitoo -- I believe the Lee unit Bazoo questions is a nifty addition to a press, enabling primer seating by simply screwing it in! A YouTube on this may be viewed at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziiX-9ugepQ . I have one in my "load on tailgate of truck kit".
    I use a Darrell Holland modified RCBS bench press -- yes, a YouTube on this one is at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-638LgQp4gc . The unit Holland Supply sells is at: https://www.hollandguns.com/32m7/par...cessories.html -- and, I do reccomend the spring Darrell purveys which raises RCBS handle. (I have this spring on all three of my RCBS units -- makes "life" sooo much better!).
    Hope these/this helps!
    geo
    Last edited by georgerkahn; 05-22-2020 at 08:32 AM.

Boolit Master
    I got the lee ram prime also. I went 15 or more years not using it. Just liked my round tray lee hand prime.now the small primer tray is wore out so I have to use it. I started using it and now like it very much .

Boolit Master
    RCBS or Lee ram prime tool; both have been around a long time because both. Pick a box color you like ...

I'd much rather have one of Lee's newer bench top mounted primer tools than anyone's ram primer.

Boolit Grand Master

Are you having problems with the Lee? I never liked hand priming tools (bought and tried 3). I discovered a Lee ram prime when I bought a hand press in the early '90s for depriming. I wound up buying a couple more and mounted one on a Lee turret for use when I didn't want to dig out my old Pacific single stage I use for priming...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Buddy
    I used to have the Lee Ram prime,and it was fine EXCEPT that after switching from large to small ,and vice versa a few times the nail like peg would be so loose in the ram piece that the little spring would pull it out.I just gave it a squeeze with pliers ,but I would rather have one with a set screw holding the primer holder in place.I don't know if Lyman or RCBS use a set screw,or not.

I have a Lyman one and a Lee one. I use the Lee because it is already setup up in my LNL Handpress.

The Lyman one came in a nice orange plastic box and is still in there cuz I don't use it. I could use it, I just don't.

There isn't enough difference in these different makes of the same thing to even discuss their pros and cons. They are all basically the same thing and do the same thing. There is no significant difference in the Quality of the tools.

If anything the Lee is probably the cheapest,,, and since it works just fine that would make it the best? YMMV

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Moderator Emeritus

[QUOTE=W.R.Buchanan;... I use the Lee because it is already setup up in my LNL Handpress

Randy[/QUOTE]

In my post, here above (#4), I wrote, "I have one in my "load on tailgate of truck kit". Perhaps I might have added my truck kit's major component is one of Mr. Buchanan's Lock n Load presses -- the Lee seems as it was made for it, and works quite nicely with it.
    geo

To the OP's original question, I have, and use, both the Lyman and RCBS Ram Prime tools. They both work the same and are of the same quality. I really like them for precision primer seating. Just pick the one you can obtain at the best price.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    I've had the RCBS tool for years and I like the way it operates in my press. The only problem I've ever had is that the little steel cups will sometimes crack along the side.....but a quick call to RCBS gets me a complete replacement immediately. Therein lies the problem though. I've tried to explain to the nice lady on the phone that I only need the cup and can easily replace it myself. Nope......ya gotta take the whole enchilada. As a result, I have a couple of primer rod assemblies with split cups residing in the box with the others.

I hate throwing anything away.

The only thing I've noticed is that the Lee shell holder center holes are sometimes too small for the RCBS priming cup to pass through easily. It still works, but you have to "nudge" the cup down with your finger.
    Last edited by 3006guns; 05-23-2020 at 11:32 AM.

Boolit Bub
    I've used the Lee but liked the feel of the RCBS better plus I can use the 12 ga shell holder for my brass hulls. As stated above, RCBS customer service is great.

Thank you for the replies.

Yes I'm having issues with my lee. It seats both large and small primers slightly crooked. I either have to turn the case and seat the primer again or leave them crooked. Sometimes, I'd I assemble the unit in my press, the primers will be straight, so something is out of square but aligns right sometimes. I've tried lee and RCBS shellholders, CCI and win primers, and various makes and calibers of brass, as well as 2 press.

I've not experienced any issues with misfires.

Boolit Grand Master
    Now i know which one it is.
    There are so many different primer tools.
    I had the Lee one that is discontinued. Not sure what it was called.
    A friend broke his and couldn't find one.
    Gave it to him.
    I still have a Lyman one.
    Never used it. Looks unsued.
    Got it at the Gunshow many years ago.
    Attachment 262578
    Last edited by abunaitoo; 05-23-2020 at 05:43 AM.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I recently searched this very option set to death and let it set , "percolate" if you like and looked it over 7 ways .

Lee is a tool for the job and it does the job ..... A Cressent and Rigid pipe wrench will readily unscrew nuts , bolts and trailer balls too .

Lyman asks that you buy the second push rod separate or futz around switching cups large to small and it costs about the same as the RCBS maybe more with buying the second rod . Nobody ever says "I just sent an email and got repair parts in the mail 5 days later" about Lymans CS .

RCBS , at least from Midway , comes with both lg and sm rods and customer service and support from RCBS is mostly gold standard .

I have to wonder just how badly this can get messed up . I mean what we have is a 7/8-14 bolt cut off center drilled and slotted to accept a shell holder with a captured floating rod inside . There's 2 moving parts .

I gave up and bought 2 Lee sets if it's too bad I now have 4-5 extra RCBS primer arms available with extra cups , springs and pins . I can always turn new push rods as long as I have the body stud to hold the shell holder .
    My old Partner press has run with just the large primer cup forever and that's where the ram prime will end up until I send it back for the million mile overhaul .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

I'd be happy with the lee if It seated the primers squarely. I don't want to have to turn each case and reseat them, to get the high side below flush.